Specialized rear shock options

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized rear shock options
Posted: Jan 22, 2017 at 8:30 Quote
This is so true, however, when theyre not blown, and functioning correctly, theyre amazing

rockerc wrote:
I'm afraid the brain shocks are an unknown to me... not sure about them, altho I do see a lot of posts on them, and they do seem to be problematic.

Posted: Jan 22, 2017 at 14:16 Quote
I have a 2016 Stupjumper FSR comp carbon 29er medium size. I switched the front forks to a fox 36 150mm and now I am looking to change the rear but the sizes all seem a bit off. Right now it is a fox float evolution 197 x 47.6mm or 7.76 x 1.8" I would like to go with a fox float x2 or a float DPS factory. how do I find the right size?

Posted: Jan 22, 2017 at 14:17 Quote
checkertrail wrote:
I have a 2016 Stupjumper FSR comp carbon 29er medium size. I switched the front forks to a fox 36 150mm and now I am looking to change the rear but the sizes all seem a bit off. Right now it is a fox float evolution 197 x 47.6mm or 7.76 x 1.8" I would like to go with a fox float x2 or a float DPS factory. how do I find the right size?

Or what is your opinion on a good rear shock?

Posted: Jan 22, 2017 at 15:18 Quote
checkertrail wrote:
checkertrail wrote:

Or what is your opinion on a good rear shock?

so this happens alot, it keeps the consumer a bit scared/worried and that will translate into morfe money for specialized, so, you find a shock that has specs that are very close to your stock specs, and then you run it, making sure you have ample clearance top/bottom of the stroke. 7.75 or 7.875 X 2 is the shock youll need

Posted: Jan 28, 2017 at 21:03 Quote
In researching the bikeyoke and changing the shock on a 6fattie, I came across this thread. Bikeyoke indicates to use a 190x51 shock, is this correct due to the yoke being a different fit or are they incorrect. Stock on the bike is 197x47.6. Vicious, do you have an alternative way of fitting a float X with the stock yoke?

Posted: Jan 28, 2017 at 23:39 Quote
speshiz wrote:
In researching the bikeyoke and changing the shock on a 6fattie, I came across this thread. Bikeyoke indicates to use a 190x51 shock, is this correct due to the yoke being a different fit or are they incorrect. Stock on the bike is 197x47.6. Vicious, do you have an alternative way of fitting a float X with the stock yoke?

yes sir. i actually outfit Fox rear shocks so theyll bolt directly to your stock FSR link, done it a million times, and not one person has regretted it. ive done it most on the S-W Enduro, my own include, anyway, to answer your question, So fox does build some shocks that will mount up to your proprietary mount, ive been able to get my hands on the necessary parts that fox builds for specialized, and then, i can outfit whatever fox air shock with the proprietary FSR stanchion, then i had to invest/get trained on recharging the nitrogen system, bleeding the dampers, and setting IFP heights.

now, as far as bikeyoke.com goes, i shit you not, i just had to argue with their know it all phone answerer because he told me running a 8.5 x 2.5 coil on my enduro would never work, well, it must be magic then. so mthe product they produce is awesome, but their “method” or more fitting “secret formula”for assigning particular yokes to particular bikes is bullshit. if theyd just give a center to center length measurement on their yoke, you could measure yours and done. if you have to buy a whole other shock just run their mount, isnt that working backwards? feel free to call me anytime with questions, believe me, i know what a bitch this issue can be
Tim 801-699-9038

Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 5:41 Quote
viciouscycleworx wrote:
speshiz wrote:

yes sir. i actually outfit Fox rear shocks so theyll bolt directly to your stock FSR link, done it a million times, and not one person has regretted it. ive done it most on the S-W Enduro, my own include, anyway, to answer your question, So fox does build some shocks that will mount up to your proprietary mount, ive been able to get my hands on the necessary parts that fox builds for specialized, and then, i can outfit whatever fox air shock with the proprietary FSR stanchion, then i had to invest/get trained on recharging the nitrogen system, bleeding the dampers, and setting IFP heights.

now, as far as bikeyoke.com goes, i shit you not, i just had to argue with their know it all phone answerer because he told me running a 8.5 x 2.5 coil on my enduro would never work, well, it must be magic then. so mthe product they produce is awesome, but their “method” or more fitting “secret formula”for assigning particular yokes to particular bikes is bullshit. if theyd just give a center to center length measurement on their yoke, you could measure yours and done. if you have to buy a whole other shock just run their mount, isnt that working backwards? feel free to call me anytime with questions, believe me, i know what a bitch this issue can be
Tim 801-699-9038

PM on the way, thanks.

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2017 at 8:12 Quote
So glad I found this thread. I've got a 2014 stump jumper with brain. Starting to get pedal bob. Debating on getting the shock rebuilt or replacing it. I hate dumping money into a proprietary part, found the bike yokes and got exited till I couldn't find any 190x45 shocks.

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2017 at 12:23 Quote
viciouscycleworx wrote:
This is so true, however, when theyre not blown, and functioning correctly, theyre amazing

rockerc wrote:
I'm afraid the brain shocks are an unknown to me... not sure about them, altho I do see a lot of posts on them, and they do seem to be problematic.

Pm sent sir

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 13:34 Quote
I've just bought a float x2 for my enduro and have been told I'm to heavy for it (18st).

So now I'm considering the float x and purchasing a bike yoke linkage.
Is anybody after float x2 never been ridden?
Also, has anybody put a float x in their enduro?

Cheers ????

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 21:35 Quote
I can tell tell you who ever is informing you, has no basis, I don't know what 18 stone equates to but if you're too heavy for one air shock you're too heavy for both, and you need to go coil, feel free to check out my page, I've equipped enduros with just about every shock you can name

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 0:27 Quote
viciouscycleworx wrote:
I can tell tell you who ever is informing you, has no basis, I don't know what 18 stone equates to but if you're too heavy for one air shock you're too heavy for both, and you need to go coil, feel free to check out my page, I've equipped enduros with just about every shock you can name

I put it on the bike and could not achieve the 25-30% sage with the max air pressure and max volume spacers. Kitted up its sitting just over half way through it's stroke. Gutted after spending the money on it.

It was mojo that told me this. The stock fox dps it come with has no problem achieving the sag. So annoying. Any advice would be great

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 6:47 Quote
Something doesn't add up with the dps having no issues but the x2 having. 18st should be around 250lbs iirc. Vicious can help you, I've got a Float X in the works from him.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 13:15 Quote
speshiz wrote:
Something doesn't add up with the dps having no issues but the x2 having. 18st should be around 250lbs iirc. Vicious can help you, I've got a Float X in the works from him.

My thoughts exactly. So when I couldn't achieve the correct sag I gave them a call. After some back and forth and trying a few things I was asked my weight to which I told them 250lbs and that was when they told me I was to heavy and that the x2 is meant for riders up to 220lbs max

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 14:14 Quote
Interesting, never once have I seen a weight limit on the x2. You'd think that be clearly written on their site.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029515
Mobile Version of Website