I just don't get the 1X gear hype?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
I just don't get the 1X gear hype?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 14, 2014 at 20:57 Quote
I ride my bike quite often for several miles on the pavement to get to single track trails and I have to say I use every single one of my gears almost daily on a 3X system. Yes I have smashed the larger sprocket on rocks, yes it adds weight(like 1/20th of a pound), but I couldn't imagine being stuck with so few gears? All the new bikes I'm looking at are 2X for a mid grade bike and 1X for better bikes? Do I just belong on cheapy bikes or something?

Posted: Aug 14, 2014 at 21:38 Quote
what cassette do you have? how about tire size?

i started wondering about the hype so i started riding my 3x9 without using the large chainring, and i found a few situations were i actually would like to use the large chainring, but wasnt that big a deal. i recently got a new trail bike, its a 29er with a 2x10 drivetrain. today i had to bike to work and got it flat out as fast as i could go down a hill on pavement and i didnt feel at all that i needed another gear.

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2014 at 8:15 Quote
Seems to me that 1x drivetrains can give you the same (or very close to the same) gear range as a 2x or 3x system. But the one thing they can't do is what I think of as "instant bailout" - being able to do one shift and getting a significantly lower gear (granny in front). On a 1x system, the downshift takes a little bit longer and more crank rotation to achieve. I'm running a 2x10 system, and like it. I'd probably go 1x except I use that bailout option pretty regularly.

Posted: Aug 15, 2014 at 8:25 Quote
1x is great because you don't have to think about what gear your in, you just shift instinctively. No more front mech problems when they are covered in mud and slime, tidier bars with space for your dropper post switch. Downside is your legs glow a bit more when you get home but you can still get up the hills and keep up with your mates on the flats, just takes a bit more muscle!

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2014 at 13:40 Quote
patwoods wrote:
Seems to me that 1x drivetrains can give you the same (or very close to the same) gear range as a 2x or 3x system. But the one thing they can't do is what I think of as "instant bailout" - being able to do one shift and getting a significantly lower gear (granny in front). On a 1x system, the downshift takes a little bit longer and more crank rotation to achieve. I'm running a 2x10 system, and like it. I'd probably go 1x except I use that bailout option pretty regularly.

Same here. We have a lot of trails here with short steep ups and a bailout ring is invaluable.

Posted: Aug 15, 2014 at 15:56 Quote
Dropped so many chains with the 3x so when I went to 1x10 that was the biggest difference. I had a 22-33-44 so I went with a 36 NW for my chainring and that's been he perfect set up for me.

Posted: Aug 15, 2014 at 16:01 Quote
Having ridden all three types over the years I find value only in the 2x and 1x system. The large gear never got used and usually just ended up being a bash guard. The 2x was fine when my legs and cardio was not up to par and was only running a 9sp cassette. When I made the change to a 10sp cassette I found I used my bail out hardly ever. Then when I got my 40t one up I removed all the front shift bits permanently and have not looked back. I weighed all the extra components and dropped 1.5 lbs in weight. Had to think way less while on the trail. Less mechanical problems easier maintenance. Its been in my opinion the best upgrade I made to my bike. I'll admit its probably not for everyone and you riding style, area you ride and fitness level may determine if it is right or not. For me I'm not looking back while I can not justify the purchase of a 1x 11 system my cheater 1x10 setup works perfect. Ohh also the fewer dropped chains has been a major plus with the NW ring and clutch rear derailleur.

Posted: Aug 15, 2014 at 18:00 Quote
I find this formula to be more or less very true after many years of research...

The lesser the gears = the bigger da balls

Posted: Aug 20, 2014 at 22:02 Quote
It's been said, but by going 1x10 you basically only sacrifice the two highest and lowest gears of a 3x set up.

Work it out here http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

It is nice to have the instant drop right down or up the range, but i think anticipating shifts better would negate that.

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 14:09 Quote
with a 1x it's true you can have just about the same range of gears, but you loose the close ratio that a 2x and 3x provides with a tight cassette. 13 - 27 cassette with a 2x rocks.

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 14:36 Quote
My 2X10 XT system get's lots of use at the extreme top in daily duty and extreme bottom in mountain use. And it has worked flawlessly. It has never let me down in mountain riding. I guess I don't get the hype either.

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 15:10 Quote
Some people will throw chains every ride with a front derailer. Some people throw chains without a full guide.

It also makes you stronger.

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 20:31 Quote
One of my favorite trails i ride all the time I would throw the chain constantly with the 2x set up. still have thrown it 1x but not near as much.

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 21:33 Quote
As long as you have a clutch derailler and narrow wide you should never throw a chain. I ditched the chainguide on my dh and after riding mountain creek for a few days I didn't drop a chain once. Pretty impressive and my trail bike has had the same track record, even without a clutch derailler

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012140
Mobile Version of Website