Difference between Carbine and Tracer

PB Forum :: Intense
Difference between Carbine and Tracer
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 18, 2014 at 15:56 Quote
I'm looking at a new bike and the Intense Tracer and Carbine have caught my eye. Both would be in the Foundation build. The only thing is that I can't really tell the difference between the two other than one's carbon and the other aluminum.

Tracer

Carbine

Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 8:59 Quote
Think you've answered your own Q!

Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 15:20 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
So that's the only difference? Wow. I'll just save up for the carbine then. It's only$300-ish more.

Posted: Aug 20, 2014 at 12:15 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Ok smart guy, how is the Carbine different than the Tracer Carbon?

Posted: Aug 20, 2014 at 16:04 Quote
brianl wrote:
titaniumtit wrote:
Ok smart guy, how is the Carbine different than the Tracer Carbon?
Tracer Alminum vs. Carbine Carbon. One is alu and one is carbon. They geo is exactly the same and the spec is the same too for the foundation build. There's no way in hell I'd be able to get the tracer carbon. Although sexy, it's way to much money for me. So, my conclusion was they're the same thing just one is carbon and one is alu. And I'm also poor as hell.Rolleyes

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 8:58 Quote
You gotta try carbon - it's unreal! Just chuck on some heli tape on frame as carbon frames get a bit messy after a while of use.

Alloy is good still mind but different ride charachteristics mean carbon offersup to the table a much more direct transfer of power to wheels at same time as being compliant and smooth ride.

If it's only that much more, I'd go carbon! Not cause it sounds good either cause it is GOOD!

As for that silly remark by Brian, perhaps its s bit foreign for you to actually read the op's post!

Smart guy, no wise yes!

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 11:34 Quote
The Tracer and Carbine are two different frames, keep in mind the Tracer comes in both carbon and aluminum.The Carbine is a slightly steeper headtube and seatube angle than the Tracer, it also has a shorter top tube, and 10 mm less travel. Never ridden either, but on paper the Tracer is definitely more descent oriented

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 16:34 Quote
dinosaurinachinastore wrote:
The Tracer and Carbine are two different frames, keep in mind the Tracer comes in both carbon and aluminum.The Carbine is a slightly steeper headtube and seatube angle than the Tracer, it also has a shorter top tube, and 10 mm less travel. Never ridden either, but on paper the Tracer is definitely more descent oriented

They're both the foundation build and have the same exact spec. Both have a 160mm fork and 5.5-6" adjustable rear suspension. The chain stay, top tube, and reach are all the same. The head tube is only 0.2" different and the bottom bracket is a little higher on the carbine. And how is a 67.5* HA better than a 67* on the descents? I thought 67* is slacker than 67.5*.Confused

And keep in mind, I want something that I can race if I want to.

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 17:33 Quote
Bronco82 wrote:

They're both the foundation build and have the same exact spec. Both have a 160mm fork and 5.5-6" adjustable rear suspension. The chain stay, top tube, and reach are all the same. The head tube is only 0.2" different and the bottom bracket is a little higher on the carbine. And how is a 67.5* HA better than a 67* on the descents? I thought 67* is slacker than 67.5*.Confused

I was comparing the Tracer T275 to the Carbine, not the Tracer 275. If it's between the Tracer 275 and the Carbine, I'd pick wherever you need more help, carbine is slacker but has a slightly less pedal friendly STA, Tracer 275 has a steeper head tube angle, but a little more pedal friendly STA. The differences are so subtle I'd say Carbine just to save weight and the ride quality of carbon is superior, over a long race stage it'll keep you a bit fresher.

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 18:11 Quote
Bronco82 wrote:

I was comparing the Tracer T275 to the Carbine, not the Tracer 275. If it's between the Tracer 275 and the Carbine, I'd pick wherever you need more help, carbine is slacker but has a slightly less pedal friendly STA, Tracer 275 has a steeper head tube angle, but a little more pedal friendly STA. The differences are so subtle I'd say Carbine just to save weight and the ride quality of carbon is superior, over a long race stage it'll keep you a bit fresher.

That's exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll just try and save up for the Carbine so I have a race rig that I can take out with my friends and be able to keep up and actually climb unlike my Stinky TL.

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2014 at 5:41 Quote
http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/2015-Trail-All-Mountain-Enduro-Bikes-at-Eurobike-2014,8046/2015-Intense-Tracer-275-Alloy,81114/bturman,109

Looks like Intense is trying to make your decision a little more difficult. I think I'd go for the this over the Carbine, slacker head tube angle by .5 deg, but 4 deg steeper seatube angle, tough call

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 12:37 Quote
Well, this is going to be hard.

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 13:14 Quote
If you go carbon, you'll be pleasantly surprised and in awe of why arent all mtb frames made using it!

I still love my alloy Intense mind though.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 20:59 Quote
I have a carbon tracer....

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 18:10 Quote
Intense Carbine

Love my Carbine275 almost as much as my fatbike...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013384
Mobile Version of Website