Short Girl Bikes

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Short Girl Bikes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 14:27 Quote
Hello there,

My girl friend is getting into biking, the only problem is she is short. Like 4'11" short. She can't stand over most bikes. I had an old Kona Cinedercone hard tail she rides now but as it is like 10+ years old now with 10 year old parts, the fork might as well not exist for all the good it does on the trails.

She mostly rides easier cross country trails but we've ridden at Whistler bike park together and I think she really likes the idea of downhill, but we're looking for something like an enduro bike. Something we can peddle around but can hold its own when pointing down.

So if any of you have as suggestions for bikes with super low stand over we'd be interested in hearing, seems everything in the small, extra small sizing is 1-3" higher then she can stand over! Her end seam is like 27" ish with shoes on if I remember right.

All the best

Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 14:40 Quote
how much are you willing to spend?

Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 14:46 Quote
Umm well in the cheaper end of things - looking at used bikes now. Probably under $1800. Or Cheaper and buying some upgrades/fixes for it.

Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 14:48 Quote
check out the Transition syren its a girl freeride bike its made for short/light girls

Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 14:48 Quote
Yeah, what is your budget?

Here is one where the XS has 27" standover, even with 27.5" wheels, and 5" travel:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/intrigue.1/17649/73426/#geometry

Posted: Aug 26, 2014 at 5:50 Quote
I am only just 5 foot and I ride a Small Scott Voltage.

FL
Posted: Aug 28, 2014 at 15:20 Quote
I'm 5'2 with 28' leg and riding a specialized rumor 29er. Recently rode it in bluegrass enduro so suit the type of riding your friend is looking for. If not convinced for 29 (I love it!) then the giant intrigue would be my next choice. Still v little out there for the vertically challenged. The rumor is my 3rd mtb now - hardtail, full suss 26er before and my riding has never been better. Can't say enough good about it apart from - be sure to stick on a dropper post Smile

Posted: Aug 30, 2014 at 4:55 Quote
Tyler32 wrote:
check out the Transition syren its a girl freeride bike its made for short/light girls

Transition hasn't made syrens in a few years ... there may be some older used ones. Or the company my have some unused frames in their warehouse
The Syren does have ultra low standover (easily fits women down to 5'0") I'm 5'4'' and I ride a medium

Posted: Aug 30, 2014 at 18:40 Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'll have to get her out to sit on some of these.

Thanks again!

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 8:14 Quote
My 11 year old (probably same height as your girlfriend) has a xs knolly endorphin. Bought as frame only 2nd hand, and put 160 float 36 up front. Pedals nicely and was great during our trip in the alps (morzine/les gets etc).

Posted: Sep 3, 2014 at 10:56 Quote
My girlfriend is 4'11! She rides a XS Knolly Endorphin as her trail bike and XS Iron Horse Yakuza with 170mm up front for her DH bike. Both are 13in seat tube. Im trying to replace her DH rig with a true DH rig. Any suggestions on a DH frame that might fit her? Something with possibly a low Standover height and short TT. Looking used, so any odels which have come out in the past. Thank you!

Posted: Sep 3, 2014 at 10:57 Quote
Goldfish87 wrote:
I am only just 5 foot and I ride a Small Scott Voltage.

Does the TT feel long? My GF is 4'11 and im trying to find a nice DH frame for her

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2014 at 14:48 Quote
Just went through this, options for the vertically challenged are limited:

All of the following will fit 4'11": Giant Trance XS (the 2014 Trance 3 can be had at LBS for under U.S. $1800 now), Giant Intrigue, 2015 Kona Process 134 SE (XS).

The 2015 Kona Process 167 would be worth a look if you want longer travel...the stand over is seriously low at 25.2"...reach might be an issue but if you have short legs and a long torso it might work.

Pivot has some extra-small, low stand over models too. But in medium to long-travel I think your choices are Kona, Giant, and Knolly.

Posted: Oct 1, 2014 at 23:37 Quote
She was on a Giant Trance at Whistler earlier this summer, but it was still large on her. Those 27.5 wheels lifted it up just enough to make it awkward.

But 25.5" stand over is super low, that would be totally worth looking at. Wonder if I can find any Kona Dealers in town with some in stock to see ..

Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted: Oct 2, 2014 at 15:25 Quote
Giants 2014 womens trail bikes are a great step-up from the older line. I ride a Lust (god the names are horrible, updated Anthem) and it gives me great standover and control.

I am 5'2" and actually had to go up from my usual XS frame size to the Small.
My inseam is about a 28", so see if your friend will fit their XS. Only problem is price, it's a bit higher than the $1800.

Too bad I didn't see this post earlier, I just sold my XS hardtail completely custom trail bike to a future shredder (9 year old) who is only 4'10" - her dad said next season it should be perfect.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026331
Mobile Version of Website