Do you want to make Pinkbike and Trailforks better? Pinkbike is looking for full time Software Developers - Check Available Jobs

Planning a trip to the UK and need some tips!

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Planning a trip to the UK and need some tips!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 26, 2014 at 14:31 Quote
Hey all!

My sister and I are going to be flying over the pond from California to visit some relatives in the UK, and I'm planning on bringing my mountain bike with me. We will be borrowing a van and road tripping around the country with 12 days at our disposal. The plan is to spend a night or two with relatives in between stops, with the intention of cruising through Manchester at some point in the journey.

I'd like to know if there are any great trail networks or local shops near riding areas that I should look out for! Sister would like to go up to the border with Scotland at some point, and I want to check out Sheffield because I can't help but be a bit of a Peaty fanboy. Any advice on accommodations or guides would also be welcome! I'll be riding a Santa Cruz Bronson C and my sister will be looking to rent a basic hardtail (as she's not much of a cyclist). I'm into gravity style/technical riding, but I still thoroughly enjoy a difficult XC ride.

I've been using this as a guide so far http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/article/best-trail-centres-in-england-35974/
but I'm not sure if they're on point, and the best thing to do is always check in with the locals and bike shops.

Thanks for the help! Message me or just help me out with some comments below!

Posted: Aug 28, 2014 at 3:25 Quote
That guide will help you out with all the trail centres, But if you want the ride the steel city tracks you're going to have to do a bit of digging to find the best ones.

If you can head to Scotland as there is loads of centres and unmarked trails that are amazing

Posted: Aug 28, 2014 at 11:32 Quote
If you are into Downhilling I'd seriously suggest heading to Llangollen, on the border of England and North Wales, only no uplifts and push up is a bitch. You can do unofficial ones, but if you are lucky they might be running an uplift day there. Revolution Bike Park is a must which is slightly further south than Llangollen near Bala, but you have to book months in advance, but Antur Stiniog is an excellent alternative and should go there regardless (again book). It's in a beautiful area anyway and uplifts are the best in the country with some pretty damn good tracks. So many non biking things to do, like the first ever underground Trampoline, and then worlds fastest zip line plus a bunch of other smaller zip lines which you can race your buddies.

You also have Bringewood, Caersws, Hopton, Ludlow, and any one of the other Pearce Cycle venues. Sadly you'd need to do those on a Pearce uplift day which usually happen at the weekends.

For Scotland, I'm less familiar, Innerlethien on the Borders and Ae Forest but not sure if you can ride Ae unless it's a race. If you head further up into the highlands, Fort William is a definite and Glencoe. The Laggon Wolftrack are good for a quick blast. Again beautiful area.

South Wales you have Cwm Carn and Bike Park Wales which are both good. I think you have to book for both.

Sheffield, you want to head to Wharncliffe and Grenoside Woods. Both pretty good places but push up only and tracks are quite short but you have so much variety.

Don't know too many Southern tracks, there is one place opening soon in Forest of Dean (I think it is anyway), but Hamsterley Forest up North (Newcastle area) is good but can likely be missed for some of the other ones mentioned above.

Posted: Aug 29, 2014 at 2:55 Quote
Lake District????
get up here and ill take you out for a ride on some insane terrain! Smile

Posted: Aug 29, 2014 at 2:57 Quote
just a flavour for the riding that awaits you in the lakes

Smile

Views: 295    Faves: 0    Comments: 2

Posted: Aug 29, 2014 at 19:37 Quote
Very excited! Thanks for all the info gents, I'll probably have some more questions in the coming days. Stoked to see that the UK has such a good scene going on. Time to do some more research!

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 6:12 Quote
thepwnstar39 wrote:
Very excited! Thanks for all the info gents, I'll probably have some more questions in the coming days. Stoked to see that the UK has such a good scene going on. Time to do some more research!

For me i would say if you have some good time available

1 - Glentress, Scotland - fun, xc, light freeride Smile

2 - Whinlatter Trail centre, Lake District - blues, reds and a view of the stunning lake district Smile

3 - Fort William - Red xc and of course insane dh run and 4x track

4 - Bike Park Wales Smile

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 6:31 Quote
Both BPW and Cwmcarn are pushup, though BPW you have to pay £5 for the day

Posted: Sep 25, 2014 at 12:01 Quote
Scottish boarder is amazing. Lived west coast for 5 years now.
7 stanes is the bees knees.
east side you have glentress & innerleithen but they're so ridden it's pot holed and can be crap.

Ae & mabie is where its at. watch some videos.

here's the website.

http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013670
Mobile Version of Website