Where'd you ride today?

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Where'd you ride today?
Author Message
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 14:08 Quote
this may be the wrong crowd to ask, but any tips for trying to ride clipped in? I've ridden flats for the last 4 years, and last year i started riding clipped in on my gravel bike no problem and riding trails/hitting jumps on that bike. But for whatever reason i can't seem to ride the mountain bikes clipped in, even on trails where i'd never take a foot off anyways and id actually prefer my feet to not move around. Today I'm putting my clipless pedals (some Look xt trail copies) on my short travel mtb and forcing myself to ride clipped in, but i just wanted to see if anyone had some tips for getting past the mental block there.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 16:05 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
this may be the wrong crowd to ask, but any tips for trying to ride clipped in? I've ridden flats for the last 4 years, and last year i started riding clipped in on my gravel bike no problem and riding trails/hitting jumps on that bike. But for whatever reason i can't seem to ride the mountain bikes clipped in, even on trails where i'd never take a foot off anyways and id actually prefer my feet to not move around. Today I'm putting my clipless pedals (some Look xt trail copies) on my short travel mtb and forcing myself to ride clipped in, but i just wanted to see if anyone had some tips for getting past the mental block there.


Do 15 mtb rides clipped in and you will be second nature with it but once you get to used to it you will suck on flats...., I have been riding clipped in since the mid 90's and feel like a fish out of water on flats....You develop true skills on flats and clipped in causes you to tend to cheat true skills...

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 16:06 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Wow. What you both have told me about the altitude thing is interesting. I guess it has a greater effect on MTB riding than I thought. I KNOW that pro athletes have used higher altitude for building endurance and training, but I didn't know if it would make as much of a dramatic difference for recreation mountain biking as you both have informed me.

Thanks. Really interesting. More impact than I thought it would be. At my age and riding around here, east coast New England, at SEA LEVEL, I have enough of a workout keeping my endurance up as it is lol!

~JSV

They use oxygen bottles to climb the really the high mountains .
Olympic athletes go to the highest mountains in Oz to train . When they return to sea level their bodies are more efficient at using less oxygen .
Its also part of why they chew cocoa leaves in the Andes combat the altitude fatigue . Altitude also means slightly less gravity .

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 16:16 Quote
chacou wrote:
You're enticing me to make a COS trip at some point @mtnryder-co
Looks awesome!
Its burning hot here a lot lately, like today, was going to do an after work ride but spent a good part of the day working in direct sunlight and had enough heat for the day....come when the weather is more temperate, hit me up if you do and I will show you one of my stashes if Im available..., involves riding up a dirt road for an hour to get to though...

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 18:37 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
this may be the wrong crowd to ask, but any tips for trying to ride clipped in? I've ridden flats for the last 4 years, and last year i started riding clipped in on my gravel bike no problem and riding trails/hitting jumps on that bike. But for whatever reason i can't seem to ride the mountain bikes clipped in, even on trails where i'd never take a foot off anyways and id actually prefer my feet to not move around. Today I'm putting my clipless pedals (some Look xt trail copies) on my short travel mtb and forcing myself to ride clipped in, but i just wanted to see if anyone had some tips for getting past the mental block there.


Do 15 mtb rides clipped in and you will be second nature with it but once you get to used to it you will suck on flats...., I have been riding clipped in since the mid 90's and feel like a fish out of water on flats....You develop true skills on flats and clipped in causes you to tend to cheat true skills...

I noticed that today. When i stopped thinking about it, riding was totally fine and i didnt have any weird unclipping moments, but i was bringing the rear end up way too high when jumping whereas it wouldve been normal with flats. Didnt really notice any benefits over the flats actually, aside from maybe some better rear wheel placement in tight corners. Going to keep trying it on the trail bike for now but sticking with flats on the big bike

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 20:05 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
this may be the wrong crowd to ask, but any tips for trying to ride clipped in? I've ridden flats for the last 4 years, and last year i started riding clipped in on my gravel bike no problem and riding trails/hitting jumps on that bike. But for whatever reason i can't seem to ride the mountain bikes clipped in, even on trails where i'd never take a foot off anyways and id actually prefer my feet to not move around. Today I'm putting my clipless pedals (some Look xt trail copies) on my short travel mtb and forcing myself to ride clipped in, but i just wanted to see if anyone had some tips for getting past the mental block there.

I started riding clips after I broke my foot last year, and now its impossible for me to ride on flats. I ride clipped on everything. DH, trail, anything in between. Took me about 5 rides to get comfy and about 15 to get second nature. My only gripe is I'm not comfy putting my foot out on hard corners.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 20:59 Quote
Its weird, I kind of wish I would have never clipped in,I envy some of my friends and acquaintances who can stomp anyones asses in all disciplines wearing slip on vans or basic tennis shoes....

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 21:05 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
Its weird, I kind of wish I would have never clipped in,I envy some of my friends and acquaintances who can stomp anyones asses in all disciplines wearing slip on vans or basic tennis shoes....

For me, I'm happy to have the stability and peace of mind that my foot will always be in the same spot no matter what. Yes I've broken bones wearing them, but the pedals play no factor to me. For me it will always be about what makes me comfortable on my ride.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 22:15 Quote
I have to move my feet around here and there...or they go numb

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 22:48 Quote
live-free-mt wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:
Its weird, I kind of wish I would have never clipped in,I envy some of my friends and acquaintances who can stomp anyones asses in all disciplines wearing slip on vans or basic tennis shoes....

For me, I'm happy to have the stability and peace of mind that my foot will always be in the same spot no matter what. Yes I've broken bones wearing them, but the pedals play no factor to me. For me it will always be about what makes me comfortable on my ride.

The reason id want to ride clips is for my feet not moving around in really rough terrain but after today, i felt more unbalanced on the clipless. The float on my XT trail clones made me feel even more all over the place than when riding flats, so i wonder if i would benefit from something like crank bros mallets where i can increase the pin contact with my shoes.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 22:57 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
live-free-mt wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:
Its weird, I kind of wish I would have never clipped in,I envy some of my friends and acquaintances who can stomp anyones asses in all disciplines wearing slip on vans or basic tennis shoes....

For me, I'm happy to have the stability and peace of mind that my foot will always be in the same spot no matter what. Yes I've broken bones wearing them, but the pedals play no factor to me. For me it will always be about what makes me comfortable on my ride.

The reason id want to ride clips is for my feet not moving around in really rough terrain but after today, i felt more unbalanced on the clipless. The float on my XT trail clones made me feel even more all over the place than when riding flats, so i wonder if i would benefit from something like crank bros mallets where i can increase the pin contact with my shoes.


Those look pretty cool , would love to try something like that but the actual clip mechanism looks like the same design they have had for decades,I think I went through 6 pairs under warranty and broke every set, Hopefully they have improved durability since...

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 23:47 Quote
Took a brake from branch management to do some field work.




Tight turns for dessert.




I'm riding clipped in most times now, because of my bad knee. Pulling up on the pedal stabilizes the joint pretty well and keeps me from pain for the most part.
I'm running flats on the pumptrack bike and the Salsa because I use them to get around town a lot too. Riding up a steep climb with flat pedals on the Salsa makes me feel old and weak.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 4:23 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
Took a brake from branch management to do some field work.

remaining a well rounded employee... Wink

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 4:30 Quote
I run clipless on the road bike (of course...). But....I want to change back to my old Super Record pedals and toe clips on the Allez. But I need cleats to match.

I'll keep the Looks on my Cannondale roadie. Maybe eventually upgrade to a better shoe when I make the full swapperoo.

Clipless on the gravel bike. That I get on with really well. I couldn't imagine riding that bike with flats....

I tried running clipless on Stinky but didn't do so well. I had a bunch of offs but I think I was just getting in my own head over it. Regardless, I seem to prefer flats on the trails.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
Its weird, I kind of wish I would have never clipped in,I envy some of my friends and acquaintances who can stomp anyones asses in all disciplines wearing slip on vans or basic tennis shoes....

I ride my dj bike and commuter bike (which is just a cheap cannondale trail mtb) on flats which is good for keeping myself trained off of the bad habits of clips.

..but on the all mountain and enduro bike, clips (IMO) are the way. I can pin it over rough sections of trail without having to focus on dropping my heels and keeping my feet secure and focus on line choice and staying off the brakes instead. Can even throw some pedal strokes in on some rough stuff to help carry speed.

That being said, I realize not everyone is going out there trying to go as fast as they can. I just love going fast Smile


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010317
Mobile Version of Website