PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Where'd you ride today?
O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 7:54 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
chacou wrote:
You're enticing me to make a COS trip at some point @mtnryder-co
Looks awesome!
Its burning hot here a lot lately, like today, was going to do an after work ride but spent a good part of the day working in direct sunlight and had enough heat for the day....come when the weather is more temperate, hit me up if you do and I will show you one of my stashes if Im available..., involves riding up a dirt road for an hour to get to though...

Took this yesterday morning on the dog walk/pedal around the 'hood.
Looking east toward Denver Morrison Kittredge. I-70 is on the far left just below the ridge line slight tan tint to the block wall along the side of the road. Independence and Bear Mtns on the right.
looking west-southwest at the N-NE face of Independence and Bear Mtns. Mt. Evans Wilderness is on the right by the tree on the horizon.
Today it's much more smoky out and you can hardly make out any of the features in the distance today.
Smells strongly like campfire and our air filter is reading higher than average. Frown

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 8:21 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:
Its weird, I kind of wish I would have never clipped in,I envy some of my friends and acquaintances who can stomp anyones asses in all disciplines wearing slip on vans or basic tennis shoes....

I ride my dj bike and commuter bike (which is just a cheap cannondale trail mtb) on flats which is good for keeping myself trained off of the bad habits of clips.

..but on the all mountain and enduro bike, clips (IMO) are the way. I can pin it over rough sections of trail without having to focus on dropping my heels and keeping my feet secure and focus on line choice and staying off the brakes instead. Can even throw some pedal strokes in on some rough stuff to help carry speed.

That being said, I realize not everyone is going out there trying to go as fast as they can. I just love going fast Smile

i think speed has to do more with being comfortable on your bike. you should be able to take pedal strokes during rough sections on flats, being clipped in probably helps to pick the rear end up quicker but having all that float feels less secure than a good set of flats to me. I have no doubt you're a fast guy, and i too love going fast, i just like doing it with flats haha.

i also like being able to shift my weight to different parts of the pedals in off-camber or tight corners, helps maintain grip at speed. I want to try some wider clipless pedals to maybe get that same ability half-unclipped.

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
If you're over clips and looking to go to flats, get some OneUp AL pedals. Great value, grip, weight, and size.

Combine them with some good flat shoes and you'll be stoked. I love 5.10 Freerider Pros and have a pair of Trailcross Mids, which are ok, but not as good as the Freerider Pros IMO.

I tried SPD a while ago, didn't stick with it. Wink I do use my clips on the trainer. I thought I'd use them on my hardtail during the snowy months for gravel riding, but I just stayed with the grippy flat setup.

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 8:37 Quote
chacou wrote:
If you're over clips and looking to go to flats, get some OneUp AL pedals. Great value, grip, weight, and size.

Combine them with some good flat shoes and you'll be stoked. I love 5.10 Freerider Pros and have a pair of Trailcross Mids, which are ok, but not as good as the Freerider Pros IMO.

I tried SPD a while ago, didn't stick with it. Wink I do use my clips on the trainer. I thought I'd use them on my hardtail during the snowy months for gravel riding, but I just stayed with the grippy flat setup.

What about the trailcross shoes do you not like as much as the Pros? i have the low trailcross', paired with chromag daggas, and they feel great to me, but maybe i don't know what im missing haha

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 8:45 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
What about the trailcross shoes do you not like as much as the Pros? i have the low trailcross', paired with chromag daggas, and they feel great to me, but maybe i don't know what im missing haha

I like that the trailcross' drain really well and are very light and breathable. I can ride through water and within a little bit my foot will be drained and dry again, I love that about them. They're also pretty good for hike-a-bike and bushwhacking which is what originally piqued my interest in them.

I don't like that Adidas used a very different form/last than they did on previous shoes. The Trailcross is too narrow in the forefoot for my foot and longer in the toe box. So my 10.5 Freerider Pros fit very nicely, but my 10.5 Trailcross' feel a bit long and narrow/tight. I also am not a fan of the neoprene cuff, as it's not snug enough to keep small debris out of the shoe and it's more difficult to pull the shoe off for a quick dump of trail junk. I also feel that the Trailcross isn't as stiff of a sole, it flexes more, so you get more pedal feel, but it doesn't always feel as secure I think. I've had my Freeriders for like 3 or 4 years now and the Trailcross is going into it's second summer. I didn't think I'd still be wearing the Freeriders as much as I do, they're the go to on DH/Shuttle days 100% of the time.

If the Trailcross had the fit of my FRP and a bit stiffer sole (maybe I need to change the insole), and a different cuff then I'd probably have a much higher opinion of them. They're not bad, but I probably wouldn't buy another pair.

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 9:13 Quote
chacou wrote:

I've ridden clips almost exclusively for the past six years or so. Over the past winter I tried a pair of OneUp composite flats to try to keep my feet warmer. The grip on those ones are amazing. Once things warmed up I went back to clips (XTR trail) but really did enjoy the flats.

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 9:22 Quote
Started a thread to discuss all MTB tech rumors, innovation and prototypes. Lots of all mountain enduro bikes unreleased on display at EWS 1!

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=230309&pagenum=1#commentid7017900

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 10:22 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:
Its weird, I kind of wish I would have never clipped in,I envy some of my friends and acquaintances who can stomp anyones asses in all disciplines wearing slip on vans or basic tennis shoes....

I ride my dj bike and commuter bike (which is just a cheap cannondale trail mtb) on flats which is good for keeping myself trained off of the bad habits of clips.

..but on the all mountain and enduro bike, clips (IMO) are the way. I can pin it over rough sections of trail without having to focus on dropping my heels and keeping my feet secure and focus on line choice and staying off the brakes instead. Can even throw some pedal strokes in on some rough stuff to help carry speed.

That being said, I realize not everyone is going out there trying to go as fast as they can. I just love going fast Smile

Me too !, Riding slow makes me feel icky.....

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 10:27 Quote
chacou wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:
chacou wrote:
You're enticing me to make a COS trip at some point @mtnryder-co
Looks awesome!
Its burning hot here a lot lately, like today, was going to do an after work ride but spent a good part of the day working in direct sunlight and had enough heat for the day....come when the weather is more temperate, hit me up if you do and I will show you one of my stashes if Im available..., involves riding up a dirt road for an hour to get to though...

Took this yesterday morning on the dog walk/pedal around the 'hood.
Looking east toward Denver Morrison Kittredge. I-70 is on the far left just below the ridge line slight tan tint to the block wall along the side of the road. Independence and Bear Mtns on the right.
looking west-southwest at the N-NE face of Independence and Bear Mtns. Mt. Evans Wilderness is on the right by the tree on the horizon.
Today it's much more smoky out and you can hardly make out any of the features in the distance today.
Smells strongly like campfire and our air filter is reading higher than average. Frown
Yesterday was a cooker, today is supposed to be as well but got out early and had a bit of overcast and cooler temps, good breeze kicking felt nice too but won't help the forest fire situations...

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 13:05 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:

i think speed has to do more with being comfortable on your bike. you should be able to take pedal strokes during rough sections on flats, being clipped in probably helps to pick the rear end up quicker but having all that float feels less secure than a good set of flats to me. I have no doubt you're a fast guy, and i too love going fast, i just like doing it with flats haha.

i also like being able to shift my weight to different parts of the pedals in off-camber or tight corners, helps maintain grip at speed. I want to try some wider clipless pedals to maybe get that same ability half-unclipped.

There's definitely alot of personal preference here. Personally I was able to be competitive in the island cup before I ever tried clips, but since switching I am consistently faster and more confident over rough terrain. I'm able to stay centered on the bike over rough terrain where before I would have to put more weight to the rear to keep my heels dropped to keep my feet secure. Pedalling over rough choppy sections at race pace on flats was always a challenge, if you don't struggle with that, good on you, but there's no doubt in my mind being clipped in makes it significantly easier.

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 14:31 Quote
Did a Chuckanut lap today. Rode up Fragrance Lake Rd (4 miles, 2,200') and down Double Black and Double down (2 miles, 2,200'). One of my all-time favorite rides. First MTB rides in that area when I was 20, 30+ years ago!

Now THAT is a cedar tree!

photo

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 14:41 Quote
Wonder the age of that tree ?

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 5:09 Quote
^^ no shit, right ???? I just want to hug it

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 5:19 Quote
chacou wrote:
....... I also feel that the Trailcross isn't as stiff of a sole, it flexes more, so you get more pedal feel, but it doesn't always feel as secure I think. I've had my Freeriders for like 3 or 4 years now and the Trailcross is going into it's second summer. I didn't think I'd still be wearing the Freeriders as much as I do, they're the go to on DH/Shuttle days 100% of the time.

so chacou - how do you feel about the Freerider pro for a climbing shoe..? I need to get a new pair of kicks but am on the fence for what to get. I ride places with about equal climbing and descending, with hard punchy climbs, rocky climbs, rocky descents.

Right now I actually ride in an old pair of low-top Merrell trail running shoes. I don't know much about them because they were fiven to me by a friend years ago, but what I do find is that the sole is rather stiff, and they are an awesome show for what I'm doing. I can't ride any other shoe I have (like an Adidas trail shoe) because they're too flexy and cause me a lot of foot pain. Like the Merrell has that rock-guard liner or something. The Merrells grip on everything from my old Wellgo's to the Chromag Scarabs I'm running now.

The FRPros are the show I'd like for all the grip reviews but I'd hate to get them and have foot pain 'cause the sole has no stiffness to it.

I'll take anyone's thoughts...

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 5:38 Quote
adm750 wrote:
chacou wrote:
....... I also feel that the Trailcross isn't as stiff of a sole, it flexes more, so you get more pedal feel, but it doesn't always feel as secure I think. I've had my Freeriders for like 3 or 4 years now and the Trailcross is going into it's second summer. I didn't think I'd still be wearing the Freeriders as much as I do, they're the go to on DH/Shuttle days 100% of the time.

so chacou - how do you feel about the Freerider pro for a climbing shoe..? I need to get a new pair of kicks but am on the fence for what to get. I ride places with about equal climbing and descending, with hard punchy climbs, rocky climbs, rocky descents.

Right now I actually ride in an old pair of low-top Merrell trail running shoes. I don't know much about them because they were fiven to me by a friend years ago, but what I do find is that the sole is rather stiff, and they are an awesome show for what I'm doing. I can't ride any other shoe I have (like an Adidas trail shoe) because they're too flexy and cause me a lot of foot pain. Like the Merrell has that rock-guard liner or something. The Merrells grip on everything from my old Wellgo's to the Chromag Scarabs I'm running now.

The FRPros are the show I'd like for all the grip reviews but I'd hate to get them and have foot pain 'cause the sole has no stiffness to it.

I'll take anyone's thoughts...

I am wearing a pair of FR Pros right now. For my taste the sole is plenty stiff und very grippy. I think I know that kind of foot pain. It just means you're soft Wink
Longevity is not their strength, however. Depending on how much you move your feet the pins may eat through the rubber fairly quickly.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018690
Mobile Version of Website