Nice I want to hear it all!

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 19:57 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Rad who did that cover
Type O negative !

Nice I want to hear it all!

It's great, Ive acquired a taste for vampire music over the years and incidentally can barely stand being direct sunlight.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 10:07 Quote
Been a little while since I posted in this thread. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their season!

I put some Maxxis Aggressor 2.5's on my Kona, bike tracks wayyyy better now in our dust bowl trails here.
photo

Took her out with some friends for a nice chill flow ride. The smoke is terrible in Western MT right now.
photo

Day after that I took it to the bike park to try and really put the tires through their paces. Trashed the rear wheel super good. I have 7-8 spoke eyelets with cracks like this now.
photo

Right now I can't afford new wheels or anything, so I am riding her gently and keeping the spokes well tensioned and the wheel as straight as I can.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 10:34 Quote
Aggressor is meant to be a fast rolling rear tire but I have had decent results running it up front as well. Will probably run them front and rear on my steel Switch back when I get it built back up for a faster rolling bike for are lower elevation open space parks.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 11:19 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
Aggressor is meant to be a fast rolling rear tire but I have had decent results running it up front as well. Will probably run them front and rear on my steel Switch back when I get it built back up for a faster rolling bike for are lower elevation open space parks.

I've really been loving them front and rear. My Rekons were super worn out and shredded, but even when they were fresh they really struggled with our local conditions. The Aggressors not only grip our dust better but the sidewall is noticeably stiffer and feels more supportive in hard corners.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 11:23 Quote
live-free-mt wrote:
I have 7-8 spoke eyelets with cracks like this now.
photo

Right now I can't afford new wheels or anything, so I am riding her gently and keeping the spokes well tensioned and the wheel as straight as I can.

Damn, what rims?
Also, smoke is bad here in CO front range too, visibility is limited to about 10 miles. But we've gotten tons of precipitation over the weekend which at least helped lower the temps.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 11:24 Quote
live-free-mt wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:

I've really been loving them front and rear. My Rekons were super worn out and shredded, but even when they were fresh they really struggled with our local conditions. The Aggressors not only grip our dust better but the sidewall is noticeably stiffer and feels more supportive in hard corners.

10/4 agreed on that, tried Rekon's once, they didn't work out for me...

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 11:34 Quote
That doesn't look good. Are those the stock WTB wheels?

Smoke is bad all over the PNW as well. Red sun all day and the slight smell of burning pine coming through. Gonna be a bad summer of burning again. Saw one of the bigger burns in Washington last week that burned around +12k acres. scotched earth for miles

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 11:36 Quote
live-free-mt wrote:
Been a little while since I posted in this thread. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their season!

I put some Maxxis Aggressor 2.5's on my Kona, bike tracks wayyyy better now in our dust bowl trails here.
photo

Took her out with some friends for a nice chill flow ride. The smoke is terrible in Western MT right now.
photo

Day after that I took it to the bike park to try and really put the tires through their paces. Trashed the rear wheel super good. I have 7-8 spoke eyelets with cracks like this now.
photo

Same thing happened to me with my stock WTBs on my 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson. I hit WTB up and they warrantied it... sent a rim to a local bike shop, but I had to pay for new spokes.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 11:59 Quote
Yeah these are the stock WTB Rangers. To be fair I've been thrashing these for 4 seasons now with minimal upkeep so I'm not too surprised.

This whole debacle has got my eyeing some carbon wheels pretty heavy now though...

Re: smoke. We have a 3700 acre fire burning like 40mi from town and Missoula is notorious for having horrible air quality due to air inversions in the valley. A whole bunch of my main riding crew hasn't been coming with us all season due to air quality

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 12:04 Quote
live-free-mt wrote:
Yeah these are the stock WTB Rangers. To be fair I've been thrashing these for 4 seasons now with minimal upkeep so I'm not too surprised.

This whole debacle has got my eyeing some carbon wheels pretty heavy now though...

Save up and get some carbon wheels with good warranty. They will pay for themselves over time. As i said earlier in this thread, my front wheel literally melted on the back of a shuttle truck and i still rode down a pretty gnarly trail right after, tire held air and the rim didnt fold despite me taking some dumbass lines in the rocks. I also cracked a rim last year (after a hefty case on an enormous drop), rim held up for several more days of riding, still tubeless.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018815
Mobile Version of Website