Where'd you ride today?

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Where'd you ride today?
Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 17:29 Quote
Got a wild hair and went exploring to find a couple pieces of trail I haven't been on since 1979 when I was riding dirt bikes a lot...I couldn't find one but managed to find the other...ends up that it is a pretty janky downhill on the MTB, mostly rolls along and in and out of a gully with a stream in it, I saw many cool alt lines to try and it just needs a tad bit of pruning, other than that I am leaving it completely natural and only showing my closest friend....Its very local, like just in the mountains that back up to my neighborhood so I can combine it with my local short laps....In the 70's it was a trail that led up to a supposed satanic cults camp but I think they were just actually homeless hippies...I remember me and my best friend at the time being super petrified every time we rode our motos up in that area..one time we actually rode int to the camp not realizing it till to late but it seemed no one was there...I couldn't find the spot that actually used to be the camp.... that was the other section I was looking for... Pretty stoked on re finding this spot though... this shot is at the bottom, the upper part was really tight and twisty with nice dirt and stream crossings and really woodsy...With some big steep rock roller options...

photo

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 17:33 Quote
Damn i need some more friends that are down for some gnarly long adventure ride like that.

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 17:46 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Damn i need some more friends that are down for some gnarly long adventure ride like that.

You would like riding with me and my buddy Andres....he is the most gung ho dude when it comes to going big and getting stupid but between the two of us we have gotten in some hairy situations in the last 10 years we have been riding together.....Like lost in really bad weather, shot at and chased by killer doberman pinchers from riding to close to a methlab looking place in the middle of nowhere among other shenanigans. I got him into big mountain rides after he moved here from Venezuela and now he wont let me stop,

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 17:51 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

You would like riding with me and my buddy Andres....he is the most gung ho dude when it comes to going big and getting stupid but between the two of us we have gotten in some hairy situations in the last 10 years we have been riding together.....Like lost in really bad weather, shot at and chased by killer doberman pinchers from riding to close to a methlab looking place in the middle of nowhere among other shenanigans. I got him into big mountain rides after he moved here from Venezuela and now he wont let me stop,

yeah that sounds super sick. I did a ride recently that was like 3000 ft of climbing over 6 miles with a lot of hiking to get to this holy grail of a trail, hard to talk people into that with the climb. everyone just wants to shuttle machine built trails these days and i want to just get out in the woods and have a good time on old mining trails that are barely there.

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 17:51 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
.In the 70's it was a trail that led up to a supposed satanic cults camp but I think they were just actually homeless hippies...I remember me and my best friend at the time being super petrified every time we rode our motos up in that area..one time we actually rode int to the camp not realizing it till to late but it seemed no one was there...I couldn't find the spot that actually used to be the camp....

They just pitch tents on the nearest sidewalk now.......lol

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 17:54 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

yeah that sounds super sick. I did a ride recently that was like 3000 ft of climbing over 6 miles with a lot of hiking to get to this holy grail of a trail, hard to talk people into that with the climb. everyone just wants to shuttle machine built trails these days and i want to just get out in the woods and have a good time on old mining trails that are barely there.

I know I'm old, but that is more my speed these days . I still enjoy an occasional shuttle or park day, but I really enjoy getting out there and riding some raw singletrack. Even better if I don't run into anyone else!

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 18:01 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:
.In the 70's it was a trail that led up to a supposed satanic cults camp but I think they were just actually homeless hippies...I remember me and my best friend at the time being super petrified every time we rode our motos up in that area..one time we actually rode int to the camp not realizing it till to late but it seemed no one was there...I couldn't find the spot that actually used to be the camp....

They just pitch tents on the nearest sidewalk now.......lol

Pretty much...We have a pretty large urban homeless population here....and there are still hardier ones who camp in the hills around here, the other day I was out for a hike and thought I'd follow what appeared to be a game trail but stumbled upon a small camp...

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 18:03 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

I love that shit, always up for that sort of thing... I have put together the most exotic loops by putting in those long unsure exploration days....

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 8:28 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:

I love that shit, always up for that sort of thing... I have put together the most exotic loops by putting in those long unsure exploration days....

I need to get out there with you guys for some of that shit.

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 18:07 Quote
Good to see you’re recovering slaker. I forget where I heard it but I like “if you ain’t hiking then you ain’t biking”

photo
Rode some of the north facing stuff today with Jane, highs in the 60s, that's 'Murican temperature ratings. Dry and warm, not feeling much like the end of November around here and looking toward the big peaks to the west it's scary. Fire danger is still "high" according to local fire district and USFS. But been taking this opportunity to clear out some new routes around the 'hood.

photo
This big guy was staring us down and then looked away once I got the phone out. He and another buck were tussling the other day and Jane took off expecting them to run and give a fun chase. Instead they didn't give a shit about her and she got kicked in the side, lucky for her she's a spry girl. She's ok, took her to the clinic for a check after, my dumb ass should've grabbed her in that split second before she took off.

photo
It's steep, she goes.

photo
There's a rough cut on the left in this shot, follows the gully up a bit, then crosses over where the trails drops toward the gulley. Looking back up hill at the descent, this is why I love hand guards, might look super endurbro dorky but the VC Guards have been well worth it.

photo
Jane leads on the climbs.

photo
Been enjoying the Smash and GX AXS a lot. No comments on the missing channel drain between my driveway and garage, the busted up plywood and trench works just fine. Gotta spend the money on the bike, not the house Wink

Bittersweet still riding the north facing stuff this late into November when this area would normally be holding some snow, but when life gives you lemons, you make lemon lavendar mojitos lol If you're into nerding out on weather forecasts and around the Colorado front range these guys do a good job with forecasts. More dry, sunny days with highs in the 60s for the next ~14 days https://www.weather5280.com/2021/11/28/the-state-of-the-atmosphere-sunday-november-28th-2021

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 20:18 Quote
That bike is bad to the bone ^^^ Like your priorities.

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 20:21 Quote
Views: 161    Faves: 1    Comments: 2

Ridge line near my house

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 20:21 Quote
Went out with the idea of doing a brisk out and back loop today but ended up feeling pretty good and did a 4,000' vert climb/ hike a bike to intersect with Barr trail at 10,000' elevation...2 to 4 inches of snow pretty much every where above 8,000 feet was tacky and ridable so 4,000' descent down Barr Trail was really fun.... It was good for my head to descend lower Barr... took it easy but gave me a chance to test myself on all the little techy gnar sections...Nothing like surfing down a big mountain right to your doorstep Smile No pics cause phone died on climb but was a gorgeous day up there.

Snapped this photo when I was out for a walk this evening in Colorado Springs...

photo

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 20:25 Quote
zeeman wrote:
Views: 161    Faves: 1    Comments: 2

Ridge line near my house

Holy shit that looks amazing and you're f*cking flying...

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 20:33 Quote
Wink Thank you!

Not quite as epic as your hill, but it gets the adrenaline pumping.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021645
Mobile Version of Website