Retro 1994 GT Zaskar

PB Forum :: GT
Retro 1994 GT Zaskar
Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 7:57 Quote
I'm sure practically the Specialized seat is a nice move... but as far as the build, I kinda hate it. Specialized branded saddle on a GT? Yuck! Get yourself a Selle Italia Turbo, it'll fit with the retro look/era, and it's an awesome seat!

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 8:11 Quote
Hmmmm trolling !?

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 8:23 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Hmmmm trolling !?

Me? Nah, I just think it's silly to have a different branded take off part on such a cool build. Otherwise I think it's awesome, really it's been pretty sick throughout all of the iterations. The new wheels are especially baller.

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 8:45 Quote
Nahhh i was only messin withya

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 12:11 Quote
phobospwns wrote:
I'm sure practically the Specialized seat is a nice move... but as far as the build, I kinda hate it. Specialized branded saddle on a GT? Yuck! Get yourself a Selle Italia Turbo, it'll fit with the retro look/era, and it's an awesome seat!

Haha yeah i get what you mean, i just remember them being fairly comfy. But a turbo saddle? I never thought of that, I'll look into buying one of the re-issues on ebay. as for retro appeal its like fitting a flite but without as much discomfort.
Being a classic design though im not sure how comfortable they are generally, there are probably more comfortable modern saddles available that are half the weight. I'll look up some reviews Smile

Sean

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 12:36 Quote
I'll hang onto the GT saddle as well. its not strictly the original but its close enough, it came as standard on the 1993 made zaskar i used to own...

1993 4 GT Zaskar LE

1993 4 GT Zaskar LE

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 13:07 Quote
sean-s-1991 wrote:
phobospwns wrote:

Haha yeah i get what you mean, i just remember them being fairly comfy. But a turbo saddle? I never thought of that, I'll look into buying one of the re-issues on ebay. as for retro appeal its like fitting a flite but without as much discomfort.
Being a classic design though im not sure how comfortable they are generally, there are probably more comfortable modern saddles available that are half the weight. I'll look up some reviews Smile

Sean

You don't need a re-issue... they still make the real deal! Personally in that era (more like late 90s, but still), I used a Flite, as you mentioned. It was one of my all time faves, I never found it uncomfortable- but hey, everyone's ass is their own! It looked like this but was the red/black rather than yellow:

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mKcfntViiZM/TVwwCzi2pyI/AAAAAAAABCQ/MOpnhx1jDcs/s1600/IMG_4161.JPG
Haven't ridden one in years (since they cost a sh ton), but I never did like the cutout which has become so typical of their saddles.

Posted: Nov 10, 2015 at 1:24 Quote
I used to have a '94 flite ti and it was really painful on my ass, it was just so hard. id never ride one again after that

Sean

Posted: Nov 10, 2015 at 5:16 Quote
sean-s-1991 wrote:
I used to have a '94 flite ti and it was really painful on my ass, it was just so hard. id never ride one again after that

Sean

But your bike probably looked super cool Wink

Nah, I hear ya, it wasn't a soft seat at all, really. Different strokes for different folks. Are there a lot of GTs in the UK? I honestly hadn't noticed that's where you're from until just now. Did that make getting the frame harder to come by?

Posted: Nov 10, 2015 at 7:19 Quote
You can still buy 90s GTs in the UK quite easilly, Zaskars, RTS, LTS etc. most aluminium GTs that come up for sale though are 1996 onwards because the earlier ones are getting harder to find, anodised ones even rarer. You wouldnt find an aqua zaskar frame in the condition mine is in over here, I had mine imported from america in 2013. I Expect i have the cleanest example in the UK

Sean

Posted: Nov 12, 2015 at 8:04 Quote
ive just bought another pair of charge splashbacks (2.1"), they seemed like the best of both worlds but on a budget (blindly spending £90 on a pair of Onza Canis didnt strike me as a great idea) so these were a cheap alternative. i had a 1.8" pair of these fitted to this bike before (see page 1) ...i really didnt think much of them last time, the sidewalls were thin and they didnt last very long. i replaced them with IRC's but those were far too narrow. this time im not expecting em to last forever, i think i prefer cheaper rubber i can 'do skids on' anyway! For less than 20 pounds a pair, i can't complain

1994 GT Aqua Zaskar

1994 GT Aqua Zaskar

1994 GT zaskar Turquoise

1994 GT zaskar Turquoise

1994 GT Aqua Zaskar

Sean Smile

Posted: Dec 17, 2015 at 5:16 Quote
i found a pair of the 440mm a-c pace forks i was looking for, so i now have both rigid and suspension options i can use without altering the geometry. the older pace forks i might keep as a spare or i might sell i havent decided yet
-2002 Pace RC 31 420mm -2013 Pace RC 31 440mm -1999 Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Superfly

the wheels are rebuilt and ready, the hope Ti's are laced to mavic 317s which i originally planned to have laced on the original XT hubs over a year ago... i liked the citrus rims but i thought they looked a bit tacky on a turquoise bike and the braking surface was fairly worn on the rear
Hope Titanium hubs laced to Mavic 317 rims with Charge splashback 2.1 tyres

Sean

Posted: Dec 17, 2015 at 5:23 Quote
Personally I would keep the bombers on for dry times of year and run the 440s a-c rc31s for winter road/dirt track training.

Sell the old pace forks for a fair amount.
They certainly look in very reasonable condition.

Posted: Dec 18, 2015 at 14:04 Quote
Sounds like a good idea to me, the plan was to switch between the two depending on what sort of riding id be doing, The rigids would be used for all the commuting because theyre so much lighter.... The older pace forks are redundant now, will probably sell them. Just wanna make sure im not being hasty leading to me wishing i kept them a few months on

Sean

Posted: Jan 18, 2016 at 10:07 Quote
okay.... apart from the bombers making a return and the wheels, updates are the the Raceface Evolve DH bars and Azonic Shorty stem. They make it much easier to flick the bike around, which is fun, but when im riding while standing the shorter stem does make it feel like all my bodyweight is over the front wheel.

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Marzocchi Bomber z2 Superfly Hope Fatso Titanium hub

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Raceface Evolve DH handlebars 25.4mm

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Mavic x317 Charge Splashback

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Hope Fatso Titanium hub

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Colour splash

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Azonic Shorty stem 25.4mm

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua

22 years old this month...
GT Zaskar Aqua January 1994

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua

splashbacks arent what id call grippy in the wet stuff
1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Muddy

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.044018
Mobile Version of Website