Ebike thread

• Previous Page
FL
Posted: Sep 23, 2014 at 10:21 Quote
Ebike thread
Respectful opinions welcome.

When I created this thread I was anti-e-bike but curious how the sport would evolve.

Posted: Sep 23, 2014 at 10:34 Quote
E-bikes are motorbikes and should be only used on trails that allow motorbikes.

Sure they are fun, but still they are not bicycles even thou they look like them.

FL
Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 23:43 Quote
Update:
Time to let the cat out of the bag. I've been smashing on E-MTB for 2 years now... Eek

I could not resist cramming more laps and more vertical into less time. I'm riding a modified Bosch powered hardtail for the foreseeable future, to hold me over until a successor to the Luna X1 Enduro comes out.

[2024 edit: no longer interested in Luna but still considering a Bafang powered bike.]

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 4:22 Quote
I sold my 2019 bronson after a few rides on a kenevo. I couldnt think of a single riding situation where the bronson would have been a better choice for the rides I do in the uk. The kenevo is faster up, down, jumps better & feels more planted.
I'm passing those on nonassisted bikes as they push up for their 2nd run whilst Im starting my 3rd.
EDIT glad you have seen the light.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 5:26 Quote
mcozzy wrote:
I sold my 2019 bronson after a few rides on a kenevo. I couldnt think of a single riding situation where the bronson would have been a better choice for the rides I do in the uk. The kenevo is faster up, down, jumps better & feels more planted.
I'm passing those on nonassisted bikes as they push up for their 2nd run whilst Im starting my 3rd.

If your priority is getting as many rides as possible then why don't you get dirt bike (even electric ones are available)? That way you will get 10 runs instead of current 3 and will not even sweat yourself...

When you go in fitness studio, do you also use motors on lifting weights? That way you will not lift only 30kg per lift but 100kg - you can use this to brag in front of your friends that you lift 100kg now... Big Grin

You should rethink your "faster, more rides, blablabla" philosophy, because for a lot of riders point of MTB is getting somewhere in nature using your own power, getting exercise and progressing in skills. And they feel good that they did it on their own without motor.

When you feel joy when passing unassisted riders in sense of "look how cool i am, passing you with motorized assist, you are stupid not using it", maybe think about this post - maybe they just don't care for "faster, more rides, blablabla".

Could be that they are not the stupid ones?.... Big Grin

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 6:45 Quote
Great you love getting getting somewhere on your old fashioned bike, thats not my aim in this hobby & never has been. If there is a chairlift or an uplift van, i will be on it.
I feel sorry for them to be honest, wasting all that time pushing up a hill when they could be enjoying themselves doing more descents.
Why dont I get a mx bike? as they arent allowed in the woods in this country, maybe they are where you live.

Dont mix up a 250watt ebike with a honda cr500 mx bike, they really arent the same, although i suspect if you had ever ridden one, you would know this.

FL
Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 7:28 Quote
I was very much against E-bikes up to a year ago when I rented one for my wife as she wanted to come along on one of my rides. Long story short, she still doesn't like bikes so I had an ebike for the rest of the weekend so I thought I would get my moneys worth and at least drain the battery. Well I loved it.

I purchased a used Levo last November as I was also recovering from hip and shoulder surgery and I thought this would get me out and about a bit more. It was amazing going for 30+ miles, in all weathers, through mud, exploring new routes etc. The Levo got me fitter and sped up my recovery ready to get back on the other bikes. The plan was to sell it once I was up and running but I have so much fun on it that I get it out at least once a week, around 15-30 miles of my weekly 100 or so.

I am fortunate enough to have a hardtail, Enduro and a DH bike which I use for different places, different times, different weather etc, I see the Ebike as just another type of bike at my disposal.

I also belong to a local biking club where we have all kinds of bikes, no judgement, just turn up, have fun and ride whatever you want. There are 2 blokes who are 60+ who can now ride further, longer and more challenging tracks because they have an Ebike. We also offer shop "loaners" to get people interested if their fitness is not the best.

I go to Morzine once a year where I use the uplift as it is so easy and quick, isn't an Ebike just the same kind of thing? making biking easier and more enjoyable?

If they get people out more and are more active than if they were not riding isn't that a good thing?

I can see other bikers looking down on Ebike riders, but isn't that just biking? looking down on a bike that is old? looking down on a rider that cant do that jump? looking down on roadies because you ride BMX? looking down on that frame because it is not carbon? the list goes on.

Just ride what you want, be respectful and have fun.

FL
Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 7:46 Quote
I still love riding my regular bike! When the ebike is not working.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 15:33 Quote
That's quite a thread update you pulled there.

I'll ride a regular bike as long as my body lets me do so. To be honest, the parts of me that will fail due to biking(shoulders, wrists, hips) aren't going to be helped by an ebike most likely.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 15:42 Quote
onyxss wrote:
mcozzy wrote:

If your priority is getting as many rides as possible then why don't you get dirt bike (even electric ones are available)? That way you will get 10 runs instead of current 3 and will not even sweat yourself...

When you go in fitness studio, do you also use motors on lifting weights? That way you will not lift only 30kg per lift but 100kg - you can use this to brag in front of your friends that you lift 100kg now... Big Grin

You should rethink your "faster, more rides, blablabla" philosophy, because for a lot of riders point of MTB is getting somewhere in nature using your own power, getting exercise and progressing in skills. And they feel good that they did it on their own without motor.

When you feel joy when passing unassisted riders in sense of "look how cool i am, passing you with motorized assist, you are stupid not using it", maybe think about this post - maybe they just don't care for "faster, more rides, blablabla".

Could be that they are not the stupid ones?.... Big Grin

A lot doesn't mean all, and your statement is opinion, not fact. Why get righteous?

If you think riding a dirt bike is not a workout, then we can tell you not familiar with them.

Not sure why so much hate for the ebikes. Rode with a guy in one the other day. Other than getting up the hills a little easier, he did not leave the pack, and he had fun. We all have our own reasons for riding and it is not for any of us to pass judgement on others for why they do it or what they choose to ride.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 2:05 Quote
hi folks. Looking at buying an ebike (and I'm not going to justify why- ha!)

I'm currently looking at a Mondraker Chaser+ , Cube Stereo 140 HPC Race 625, or Kona Remote Ctrl. All appear to have Bosch power units and some decent finishing kit.

Just wondering whether anyone has any opinions or advice on these? Fave at the mo is the Chaser I reckon.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 3:01 Quote
Hi, try https://www.emtbforums.com/ for decent uk ebike advise. Unlikely to get any on here.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 12:18 Quote
I don't mind seeing geriatrics on ebikes so they can get up the mountains in their old age.... One day we will all be there.

But, the ruts left by idiots in their prime are getting so deep on some of the local trails that my 29er needs to be hopped out of them to avoid getting stuck as it is not possible to pedal at that depth.

E-bike + idiot on board = damaged trails

About 9 in 10 I see ride their brakes with the tires almost locked into the depression right before a climb and then floor it to "show how cool they are". At this point there are motorcross trails in better condition as at least most of those riders seem to understand the trail's flow.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 3:53 Quote
Daniel-01 wrote:
I don't mind seeing geriatrics on ebikes so they can get up the mountains in their old age.... One day we will all be there.

But, the ruts left by idiots in their prime are getting so deep on some of the local trails that my 29er needs to be hopped out of them to avoid getting stuck as it is not possible to pedal at that depth.

E-bike + idiot on board = damaged trails

About 9 in 10 I see ride their brakes with the tires almost locked into the depression right before a climb and then floor it to "show how cool they are". At this point there are motorcross trails in better condition as at least most of those riders seem to understand the trail's flow.

I'm really happy for you, Imma let you finish, but move along. Your particular opinion is not what I came here for. However since we're here- if you feel strongly enough to voice your opinion, are you also following it up with corrective action of any kind, for example, a guide on trail etiquette for ebike riders? If not, your voice is simply hot air from a baffoon.

Remember some people have reasons that justify ebike ownership that are not always entirely visible.

And not to be a douchebag.

@mcozzy, thanks will check the link out.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 7:39 Quote
It isn't about etiquette, it is about lack of basic riding skills that are overcome via an electric motor. No amount of etiquette can help that.

But yeah, I hear you, imagine having to pedal up those huuuggggeeee British molehills on your own.

I get it, you like your toy and want to use it. At one point Americans had "their reasons" to use their "toys" for hunting brits.... even that had to end at some point. Go on a motorcycle trail then. The only e-bike owners who don't stand out are the ones who rode and moved to ebikes due to their physical condition. Those who pick up mountain biking because ebikes make it easy belong on motorcycle trails.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012103
Mobile Version of Website