Ebike thread

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 7:23 Quote
My DRZ 400 cost about the same as my RM Altitude, and I ride both like I stole them with no issues. But I should be able to ride my DRZ anywhere e-bikes ride, and I know that upsets those who say my gas engine motorcycle is a motorized vehicle but their e-bike isn’t. Well KTM makes an e-motorcycle that can outperform my DRZ, so can I ride it on YOUR trail?

If you are building a new trail, a couple guys on motorcycles can “groom” the trail very fast. Motorcycles, e-bikes, and MTBs can co-exist, but if the sign says “no motors” that should include e-bikes.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 8:26 Quote
Motorcycles have a throttle and a lot more power. Regulated E-bikes do not have a throttle and won't go anywhere without the rider pedalling.
Also maybe E-bikes peak above 250watts but 250 watts is not much at all... An olympic sprinter can output 2000watts and your average gym rat who trains legs can easily put out over 1000. E-bikes provide assistance, they take the edge off but they are by no means even close to motorcycles.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Motorcycles have a throttle and a lot more power. Regulated E-bikes do not have a throttle and won't go anywhere without the rider pedalling.
Also maybe E-bikes peak above 250watts but 250 watts is not much at all... An olympic sprinter can output 2000watts and your average gym rat who trains legs can easily put out over 1000. E-bikes provide assistance, they take the edge off but they are by no means even close to motorcycles.

Not all e-bikes are made equal. Not all are pedal assist and people are already modding throttles into existing pedelec bikes (not that you're going to be going anywhere fast on a motor that peaks at ~500 watts)

The point a lot of people are very astutely making is that eMTB serves as a new threat to MTB in general, in some areas where bikes on trail is already a contested topic. The growing popularity of MTB mixed with new rider etiquette (or lack thereof) on pedal bikes has already been an issue at some trail centers here in the US, especially with mixed hiking and equestrian. Now with eMTB, we're increasing accessibility even more, which is great, but every time someone gets to the top of something they shouldn't be at the top of and then injures their self or especially someone else on a 50lb+ bike with *gasp* a motor, its an unfortunate look for the entire sport and people outside this community will lash out. These people don't know what an e-bike is. They don't know it doesn't have a throttle and guess what? They don't care--they don't want bikes on their trails, period.

Remember, e-bikes are being classified as mopeds by many local governments. The government doesn't give one solitary f*ck about restricting our access to trails if things get out of hand. I used to work for it, trust me, law makers do not cry tears.

I'm not for or against eMTB and couldn't be bothered to care, but I can be bothered to recognize the possible issues on the subject and all of us should be aware.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
Then maybe this is an issue in the USA. Over here in the UK no one gives two hoots where you use your bike as long as you respect pedestrians and don't illegally use overpowered electric bicycles without a license or places you shouldn't. E-bikes originally by definition are the ones that offer pedal assist, the other electric bikes are not originally e-bikes by definition, however now it seems the term is used for both pedelecs and throttle assisted. Of course it is ridiculous to allow someone on a 15'000 watt electric bicycle on trails where people walk, it's no different than if they were on a 50cc bike. Pedelecs on the other hand should be allowed anywhere.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 10:27 Quote
Yes, this is a different discussion for Brits and Dutch vs those with real mountains. Next time you go ride in the Alps, Tatra or Carpathians you will see what others are talking about. The Fagaras mountains have drops similar to the Colorado Rockies. 1000-1500 vertical meters over 10 km in many places. Electric assist and mountain bikes don't mix well on those trails unless the riders on the electric assist keep the assist level reasonable and refrain from trying to bully their way around everyone on the way up. Then, the way down is even more dangerous if the pedal assist people managed to get to the top of a trail where they don't belong based on their skills. Also, as far as I know, the trails I was riding in Fagaras were graded for humans on foot, so if you don't want bikes banned it is best not to leave tire marks everywhere, or worse yet cut ruts.

One of my favorites is Mount Elbert in Colorado. Climbed via the north route and descended via the SE route. The hike a bike sections can be by-passed with enough electric assist. But, how long will bike be allowed if enough bypass via assist, all while spinning, cutting and spinning some more?

Climbing Iztaccihuatl in Mexico is another of my old favorites. There are a lot of scree sections where I sometimes wish for electric assist. But, those climbs can't be made without significant trail damage so I wouldn't even bother. I prefer the trail stays open and the park rangers just shake their heads in disbelief that I am crazy enough to take a bike to the top after climbing from Amecameca. I am sure they would have an opinion if they started seeing ruts and tire marks everywhere beyond La Joya.

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 at 14:13 Quote
therevfryslim wrote:
Daniel-01 wrote:
I don't mind seeing geriatrics on ebikes so they can get up the mountains in their old age.... One day we will all be there.

But, the ruts left by idiots in their prime are getting so deep on some of the local trails that my 29er needs to be hopped out of them to avoid getting stuck as it is not possible to pedal at that depth.

E-bike + idiot on board = damaged trails

About 9 in 10 I see ride their brakes with the tires almost locked into the depression right before a climb and then floor it to "show how cool they are". At this point there are motorcross trails in better condition as at least most of those riders seem to understand the trail's flow.

I'm really happy for you, Imma let you finish, but move along. Your particular opinion is not what I came here for. However since we're here- if you feel strongly enough to voice your opinion, are you also following it up with corrective action of any kind, for example, a guide on trail etiquette for ebike riders? If not, your voice is simply hot air from a baffoon.

Remember some people have reasons that justify ebike ownership that are not always entirely visible.

And not to be a douchebag.

@mcozzy, thanks will check the link out.

So the thread was made for you specifically? Pretty arrogant attitude, the entire point of a forum is for everyone to have discussions, and not just for those who agree with you. You can come down from your ivory tower now if you're ready to chat.

Personally I'm very thankful that eMTB's aren't allowed on the trails in my area. I have ridden areas where they weren't allowed but now are and the difference is awful. Trails that used to be in good shape year round because of difficult access now look like shuttle trails with huge ruts and braking bumps all over the place. I'm sure all the additional erosion from eMTB is going to draw attention from the forest service and may cause some access issues for people on regular MTB's, which I definitely take issue with.

Besides the potential consequences, Is nothing sacred anymore, does everyone need to have access to everything? Should we build a lift to the top of Mt. Everest so your grandma can say she stood on top of everest without all that pesky work that would normally be put into climbing it? Maybe Harvard should start giving out degrees to people who ask nicely for one? How about building roads through designated wilderness so you don't have to backpack to that alpine lake, you can just drive straight up to it? If you worked your a$$ off (training, developing skills, taking big risks) to get to the top of everest and you saw a bunch of people getting off a lift and taking selfies you'd be pissed, it devalues the achievement of the person who worked for it. eMTB does the same thing. There's value in both the destination AND the journey.

All that said if you're disabled or can't ride a regular MTB for some legitimate reason (i.e not just because you're out of shape or lazy) then all the power to you. Get out and explore!

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 at 23:00 Quote
Sounds like you got overtaken multiple times by ebikers on your ride today.
Enjoy your retro snail bike dude.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 10:23 Quote
mcozzy wrote:

Was going to reply, but this is perfect. 'Nuff said.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 10:41 Quote
mcozzy wrote:

Lmao e-bikes are cool and all that but to call a normal bike a retro bike is ridiculous. This kind of comment only backs up what people say about e-bikers being snobs. A lot (not all) E-bikers can get off their high horse, most E-bikes don't cost more than a Yeti, Santa cruz or s works so money isn't a factor in why people don't buy one, I atm am in a position where I could buy a Kenevo, but I'm not a weak ass mother effer that needs an extra measily 250watts to assist me and have limited battery range, I care about bicycle handling and suspension performance, if I wanted a motorized bike at least I wouldn't buy this regulated 250watt crap I would go the full mile and get a 15kw outlaw bike. Get off your frigging high horse, there is nothing futuristic or better about your bike that puts out 1/4 the watts of a hairdryer. I've got toy radio control cars that output 20hp and this geezer is saying his blender powered bike is the final nail in the coffin to normal bikes, lmao. You know sprinters can output 2000watts at peak and the average Joe can likely hit over 1000 right?

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 15:39 Quote
That's a rather long amount of text to say "I'm emotionally hurt over a bike that powers itself."

Can you go somewhere else? We don't care.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 15:47 Quote
Who is emotionally hurt, I think e-bikes are cool and if I wanted one I would buy one but I don't want one because what I want out of a bike, E-bikes don't offer. I want a push 11-6 or ext shock, I want aggressive geometry, I want lightweight and great handling. I don't want an extra 5kg and a motor out of a food processor between my feet. What good is the e-bike in helping you do long climbs when it's battery is dead in 2 hours, then you are left in an even worse position than having no motor at all. Believe it or not, not everyone thinks e-bikes are superior in every way whether you think they are or not. The e bike offers ypu no advantage above 12mph, it's then dead weight, it offers no advantage in acceleration unless you are a weak ass mother effer, it obly offers an advantage in climbing, but who the fk wants to do climbing all the time and what good is it if it goes flat. I can go out all day on my old school bicycle and not worry about it going flat then pedalling the pig back home. Make an e-bike output 1000watts, weigh the same as a normal bike, have the geometry and suspension of the top end enduro bikes and have 5 x the battery capacity and I will agree they will be superior, but atm they are not superior just something different.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 15:48 Quote
Why are you in the EBIKE thread if all you have in regards to EBIKES is hate? Go somewhere else to get your attention fix. You're annoying.

Signed; someone who rides a normal bike and doesn't want an ebike.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 15:54 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Why are you in the EBIKE thread if all you have in regards to EBIKES is hate? Go somewhere else to get your attention fix. You're annoying.

Signed; someone who rides a normal bike and doesn't want an ebike.
I'm here after I read the comment of that snob before calling normal bikes slow and old fashioned and thought what an idiot, if all e-bikers think that way it proves what has been said in this thread. A thread is for discussion not only for e bikers, howcome in this thread e bikers can slag off normal bikes but when the reverse happens you jump like a pack of wolves.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 16:02 Quote
Thank you for admitting your ass is chaffed over someone's opinion. Makes this that much sweeter.

Also; again, we don't care. Take it easy man.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 18:24 Quote
Likewise buddy, textbook definition of the word hypocrite right here.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006285
Mobile Version of Website