Ditch my TR250 for a Commie Meta SX?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Ditch my TR250 for a Commie Meta SX?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 at 12:05 Quote
I'm at a weird crossroad with biking, I only make it out to do DH about 4-5 times a year out here in Washington state, one for the weekend of crankworx and then just a handful of times at Stevens pass bike park.

I do riding at Duthie hill bike park which seems to be more of a trail riding location with limited freeride trails. It dawned on me I kind of would have a better time if I could pedal around a bit more, but I'm afraid to lose my ability to jump/drop/whip like I do on my tr250 at bike parks.

I'm wondering if I should sell this tr250 and hunt around for a meta sx. I've read a review that mentioned it's pretty close to a mini DH and you can pedal decently given bike weight, but I'm curious to see what others think. How do these things hang in the air? Anyone clearing big gaps with the SX?

Posted: Oct 2, 2014 at 14:16 Quote
The Meta SX V3 is like a Supreme V3, but with less travel. Not the best out there to pedal (there are more pedal efficient and lighter frames), but definitely one of the best frame to go down.

If you still plan on riding long distance, you may want to wait for the Meta V4.

As for gaps and such, as long as you're smooth and not a complete brute, pretty much all the bikes will handle them. Yes of course dropping 12ft hucks to flat all day long isn't what it's supposed to deal with ...

Posted: Oct 2, 2014 at 14:31 Quote
Was looking at buying an SX at the start of the year but after demoing a Nukeproof Mega AM I had to buy that instead. Great on the jumps, very very quick downhill, could probably withstand being blown up and great to pedal back to the top again. Think what I'm trying to say is can you try a few out before buying? Think you'll be surprised at how good "trail" bikes are, obviously not going to handle the full on downhill runs like a DH bike but great fun to ride.

Go try some and let us know how you get on.

Posted: Oct 2, 2014 at 14:45 Quote
Gonna hop on as many as I can in the future, thanks for the insight.

All the different Commencal models confuse me. There's the SX V3? V2? V1? I'm currently looking at a 2012 Meta SX, which version is this?

And what differentiates the SX from the AM? Or the SX and the SL? Travel? And is the 2015 SX only coming in pink? D:

The Meta SL seems to be easier to find.

Posted: Oct 2, 2014 at 15:05 Quote
Might be wrong but think the 2012 model was V3 (version 3 of the suspension linkage). Came in either SX 2 or SX 1 (better spec on the 1).

The SX you're looking at (2012) had 10mm more travel than the AM and 1 degree slacker head angle (66 deg IIRC) got excellent reviews from everyone who tried it (did quite a bit of research on these:oopsSmile .

Not sure what's with the pink frame on the 2014 version!

Posted: Oct 2, 2014 at 23:13 Quote
The Meta SX from 2012 is a V3, and the Meta V4 is the one that is going to be available in like a month or so.

The Meta AM is as Toddy said, and the SL is even more XC (I believe it has 120mm of travel). For what you're looking for, definitely the SX.

And for the Pink 2014 version, they've modified a bit the SX, with an even slacker angle and more sloping frame, as well as a longer toptube I believe (not entirely sure on that one)

FL
Posted: Oct 5, 2014 at 11:15 Quote
I sold my TR250 and got a 2014 SX frame and built it up.

I was worried I was doing the wrong thing....... I have zero regrets.

I can do 95% on the sx that I could on the tr250 with regards to Freeride etc, plus a million things more!

Posted: Feb 4, 2017 at 10:44 Quote
v7fmp wrote:

I can do 95% on the sx that I could on the tr250 with regards to Freeride etc, plus a million things more!

So how does it climb ? Do you still have it?

FL
Posted: Feb 19, 2017 at 4:52 Quote
hardtailrider2013 wrote:
v7fmp wrote:

So how does it climb ? Do you still have it?

It's long gone I'm afraid. I now have a Transition scout, as my riding style changed from more knarly stuff to trail riding mostly.

I still regard it as an excellent bike. It climbed well enough and ripped on the downs.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010798
Mobile Version of Website