Commencal Supreme DH thread

PB Forum :: Commencal
Commencal Supreme DH thread
Posted: May 5, 2017 at 19:50 Quote
Building up my new Supreme V4 and was wondering if anyone had issues installing their cranks/chainring/chain and being out of alignment with the LG1 guide on the top? I feel like the crank is too far out from the frame still (about 5mm) and I'm wondering if it's something obvious. I see some folks choosing not to run the top part of the guide, but I feel that it shouldn't be the case.

I can take some pics, but I have a older, first gen Shimano Saint crank and the stock guide right now.

Posted: May 6, 2017 at 1:14 Quote
The guide should come with spacers and you will need like 3-4mm of spacer on each screw. I've seen that on 3 DH V4, including 2 of mine.

And the top part of the chain guide, I just remove it because it's held close with only a small latch, and a LOT of people ended up loosing the top part on the trails ... And you don't "need" it since you have the roller just above, that acts as a chain guide.

Never ran one on my old V4 and now V4.2, and have yet to drop a chain (regular chainring, not narrow wide). I still kept the taco and lower guide tho.

Posted: May 6, 2017 at 8:55 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
The guide should come with spacers and you will need like 3-4mm of spacer on each screw. I've seen that on 3 DH V4, including 2 of mine.

And the top part of the chain guide, I just remove it because it's held close with only a small latch, and a LOT of people ended up loosing the top part on the trails ... And you don't "need" it since you have the roller just above, that acts as a chain guide.

Never ran one on my old V4 and now V4.2, and have yet to drop a chain (regular chainring, not narrow wide). I still kept the taco and lower guide tho.

Great! Thanks for the reply! I don't have the spacers, so I guess I'll just have to grab some washers or something. Cheers!

Posted: May 6, 2017 at 11:05 Quote
Yea basic washers will be fine Smile

Posted: May 7, 2017 at 2:58 Quote
Hey, I know this has probably been asked a thousand times already, but I can't seem to find an answer. Does anyone know where you can buy the headtube sleeves that extend the reach on the supreme v4? I could only find the zero stack (centred) ones on the commencal website.

Posted: May 7, 2017 at 3:13 Quote
*STILL* not available .......

Works Components will be doing a similar headset within a few weeks, since Commencal hasn't been able to provide the headset cups (even to their own riders apparently).... I'm still asking Commencal every couple of weeks, but it's either no answer or "hmmmm soon, I don't know, we've had problems blablabla"

Let's be honest, it's NOT hard to make, even if they had problems manufacturing them, it's not hard at all to get these right (their first supplier apparently screwed up, but that was last summer!)

So now I'm just waiting for the guys at Works Components, they'll release an EC56/EC56 headset with +10 or +12mm

Posted: May 7, 2017 at 4:30 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
*STILL* not available .......

Works Components will be doing a similar headset within a few weeks, since Commencal hasn't been able to provide the headset cups (even to their own riders apparently).... I'm still asking Commencal every couple of weeks, but it's either no answer or "hmmmm soon, I don't know, we've had problems blablabla"

Let's be honest, it's NOT hard to make, even if they had problems manufacturing them, it's not hard at all to get these right (their first supplier apparently screwed up, but that was last summer!)

So now I'm just waiting for the guys at Works Components, they'll release an EC56/EC56 headset with +10 or +12mm

I had heard from someone that they still hadn't bought them out yet, guess this confirms that. It's good to hear that works have decided to help us out though. I only got my V4 in october, must be annoying af if people have been waiting for the cups since when the bike was first released.

Posted: May 9, 2017 at 3:58 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
The V4 was really undersized, the 4.2 is still a bit conservative but already better. I don't have enough
The rest is pretty much the same, the rubber gromets are still crap (they still pop out on their own)

Greasing the interface between the cables and the grommets solved the problem on my V4...

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 8:15 Quote
Anybody who rode the X2 Coil and Float in a V4?
I got the X2 Coil from a friend and i´m super happy with it but i can´t find the perfect spring for my weight, at least here in Germany.. so i got a great offer to trade my Coil into a Float but i´m not quite sure if it will perform at least as good as the Coil did..

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 9:10 Quote
I would have needed a 550 spring for a coil, so went for the Float X2 (literally impossible to find a spring with that value in 3.5" travel). That said, I still have to put 260psi in the shock to have the right set up....

Quickly tried a Stoy Rare on it, but the spring was a 450, way too soft, but switching to the Float, I didn't loose much in term of sensitivity

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 14:13 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
I would have needed a 550 spring for a coil, so went for the Float X2 (literally impossible to find a spring with that value in 3.5" travel). That said, I still have to put 260psi in the shock to have the right set up....

Quickly tried a Stoy Rare on it, but the spring was a 450, way too soft, but switching to the Float, I didn't loose much in term of sensitivity

yeah i would need 375 but there´s no way i´m going to spend nearly 200bucks on a SLS Spring and the Steel Springs are only available in 350 (which im currently running) and 400. I think the sensitivity shouldn´t be a big problem for me. Also i don´t have too run a much pressure as you do and i also like my lowspeed compression quite hard. So it looks like i´m trading my Coil into a Float. I will give a review a soon as i have a proper setting which i´m happy with

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 20:28 Quote
FreeRider2111 wrote:
Anybody who rode the X2 Coil and Float in a V4?
I got the X2 Coil from a friend and i´m super happy with it but i can´t find the perfect spring for my weight, at least here in Germany.. so i got a great offer to trade my Coil into a Float but i´m not quite sure if it will perform at least as good as the Coil did..

I have a float on mine and I love it. I lose a little small bump sensitivity, but it more than makes up for it in tunablity and big hits

Posted: Jun 2, 2017 at 17:29 Quote
photo
photo

What do you think of the new 29er?

It looks like old v4.2 + new cable route + new metric size rocker arm + new dropout(maybe 450mm?)

Maybe we can buy new a new dropout and a rocker arm and change old ones to v4 29er someday :-)

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 21:38 Quote
650b upgrade

Ok.....so when i tried to find some clear info on this...i could not....upgrading a 26 supreme to 650b...what are the actually pros and cons....First:
1. on my L frame the wheel fits nicely on the middle and the long chainstay
2. i had to make some weard offset bushings for the shock, to lower the bike...but stil, could not get it down where the original 656b is (on the 26 the bb sits 8mm above the wheel centerline, where the 650b's bb sits 7mm lower, si the bb is 15mm lower then the normal one. the ofset bushing only allow 1mm each of offset, so it's o total of roughly 6mm at the bb's hight...making the bike 9mm higher then the original 650b.
3.on the rocks and roots the bike feels way more fast, the bike stops kicking sideways when going fast on really rough parts, and that loosing speed when hitting obstacles feeling is way smaller.
4, cornering...this is the tricky part from what i felt....dunno if this is the feeling on the normal 650b, but at my bike, u can, and have to lean way more in the corners to keep speed through the corner, i have to anticipate way more quick corner changing, aaand, the best part, the wheels stop sliding when turning hard into corners, basicly, no sliding=more speed through the corner.
5. overal i WOULD RECOMEND this! the bike has way more flow, and keeps speed on it's own really well...the only weard part is getting used to cornering. Came 4th last weekend with no chain from the half of the track.... Cheers!

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 at 8:59 Quote
Been riding my new Supreme V4.2 Yellow Race for about two weeks now. It's pretty sweet.

I've been surprised at how 'lively' and poppy it is (as I was under the impression that it was a 'glued to the trail' rig).
It's eye catching and the pulley system definitely makes for a quiet and smooth rear end.

My only niggle so far is the stiffness of the L Boxxer Team (blue stiff spring)- I've been thinking of ordering a medium spring or possibly going with a Solo Air upgrade---any thoughts? After 5 DH days, it's still fatigues my hands.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.239584
Mobile Version of Website