Commencal Supreme DH thread

PB Forum :: Commencal
Commencal Supreme DH thread
Author Message
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 at 11:13 Quote
Hey guys, I’m coming off of a severe ankle injury that doesn’t take impacts well. I’m thinking the Supreme DH and SX suspension design would be good for that.
Is it true there’s less energy that’s transferred to cranks/pedals than a traditional design? Has anyone noticed this riding the supreme? Any info is appreciated, if it’s noticably less harsh, I will be building a SX as my do it all bike.

Posted: Mar 11, 2018 at 12:24 Quote
FindDigRideRepeat wrote:
Hey guys, I’m coming off of a severe ankle injury that doesn’t take impacts well. I’m thinking the Supreme DH and SX suspension design would be good for that.
Is it true there’s less energy that’s transferred to cranks/pedals than a traditional design? Has anyone noticed this riding the supreme? Any info is appreciated, if it’s noticably less harsh, I will be building a SX as my do it all bike.

You might want to use an air shock to get a lot of ramp up. Harsh bottom outs are probably awful for your ankles and the supremes arent overly progressive.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 7:23 Quote
Blablablup123 wrote:
You might want to use an air shock to get a lot of ramp up. Harsh bottom outs are probably awful for your ankles and the supremes arent overly progressive.

Thanks for the info, I was hoping a coil would work well. It’s just my preference and the DH is spec’d with them. Do you notice less fatigue on your ankles after rides? Does the rear end have a muting effect on impacts while riding?

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 13:22 Quote
FindDigRideRepeat wrote:
Blablablup123 wrote:
You might want to use an air shock to get a lot of ramp up. Harsh bottom outs are probably awful for your ankles and the supremes arent overly progressive.

Thanks for the info, I was hoping a coil would work well. It’s just my preference and the DH is spec’d with them. Do you notice less fatigue on your ankles after rides? Does the rear end have a muting effect on impacts while riding?

Please be aware that that was simply my opinion based on reviews I have read, not my own experience!
A coil will work well with the frame but I imagine that you could use some extra bottom out protection if your ankle is in bad shape. It sounds to me like harsh bottom outs would be way worse for your ankles than the slight loss in sensitivity of an air shock.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 13:28 Quote
Honestly, the Supreme DH V4/V4.2 (or the SX one) are reaaaally progressive. A lot more than the previous V3, and to bottom that one out, you're going to need a spring way too soft. Even when I ran a softer-than-I-should-have-gotten spring, I never bottomed out (arguably, on a BOS Stoy Rare which has a hydraulic bottom out, that ramps up a lot at the end of its travel)

The problem is finding the right spring rate. I would have needed a 550-600lbs, and in the size required on the V4.2 I had, it was just impossible to find. So I went with air. But if you're not as heavy as I am (so less than 110kg Big Grin ), you'll be just fine with a coil spring. If you're that afraid with your ankle, up the spring rate by 50lbs and you'll be fine.

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 at 10:09 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
Honestly, the Supreme DH V4/V4.2 (or the SX one) are reaaaally progressive. A lot more than the previous V3, and to bottom that one out, you're going to need a spring way too soft. Even when I ran a softer-than-I-should-have-gotten spring, I never bottomed out (arguably, on a BOS Stoy Rare which has a hydraulic bottom out, that ramps up a lot at the end of its travel)

The problem is finding the right spring rate. I would have needed a 550-600lbs, and in the size required on the V4.2 I had, it was just impossible to find. So I went with air. But if you're not as heavy as I am (so less than 110kg Big Grin ), you'll be just fine with a coil spring. If you're that afraid with your ankle, up the spring rate by 50lbs and you'll be fine.

Are they? Oh wow, that is surprising. All the leverage analysis I saw showed the opposite and they even made the V4.2 more progressive. I knew that they were more progressive than the v3, but from my experience with the v3 that didnt take much.

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 at 10:15 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
Honestly, the Supreme DH V4/V4.2 (or the SX one) are reaaaally progressive. A lot more than the previous V3, and to bottom that one out, you're going to need a spring way too soft. Even when I ran a softer-than-I-should-have-gotten spring, I never bottomed out (arguably, on a BOS Stoy Rare which has a hydraulic bottom out, that ramps up a lot at the end of its travel)

The problem is finding the right spring rate. I would have needed a 550-600lbs, and in the size required on the V4.2 I had, it was just impossible to find. So I went with air. But if you're not as heavy as I am (so less than 110kg Big Grin ), you'll be just fine with a coil spring. If you're that afraid with your ankle, up the spring rate by 50lbs and you'll be fine.

Did you feel a difference in progressiveness betweent he V4 and the V4.2?

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 at 11:49 Quote
Blablablup123 wrote:
Are they? Oh wow, that is surprising. All the leverage analysis I saw showed the opposite and they even made the V4.2 more progressive. I knew that they were more progressive than the v3, but from my experience with the v3 that didnt take much.

That's what I meant, the V4 or V4.2 is more progressive than the V3 (which was a solid base back then, and would still be a really nice bike if they updated the geometry ...)

Nop, didn't feel any difference between the V4 and V4.2 from the suspension. Ran the Float X2 at 270psi on both, with the same clicks. I might have changed things a bit if I had gotten a V4.2 in XL, but I made the mistake to buy it in Large (which was still too short). Upsize the frame of the DH V4.2 if you want to buy one (like if you're 1.80m, go XL, and above 1.88-1.90, go XXL)

Can't say much about the SX, but it's roughly the same bike, with a bigger cassette and a lockout Big Grin

Posted: Mar 18, 2018 at 6:22 Quote
These are quotes from the review of the Supreme SX regarding the feel of the rear suspension. I was curious if anyone riding this design (SX or DH) agreed with this? This is why I’m leaning towards this bike after my bad ankle injury.

“...and pedaling through rough terrain is a breeze as the idler wheel prevents the feeling of your cranks being tugged as you pedal over bumps.”

“Many times the front wheel strikes an obstacle and you are bracing for it to hit the rear wheel, and in the meantime, it has seemingly disappeared.”

“My feet stayed connected, secure and in the right place, even when plowing into really rough stuff.”

Posted: Jun 17, 2018 at 10:43 Quote
So, when building up a v4.2 frame, roughly how much chain is needed?

Posted: Jun 17, 2018 at 12:04 Quote
So finally decided my V3 has to go so got it out to photo it for sale today. It's a Great bike but i simply never ride anywhere these days that's not handled by my Enduro bike.

Large Supreme V3 FR with Boxxer RCs for sale 999 or best offer. I hardly used it frame fork and wheel set are basically un-used I raced it twice and practiced the day before the races on it and that s about all it was ever ridden I ve not ridden it since September last year so decided not point in keeping it.

Posted: Jun 17, 2018 at 23:35 Quote
jonty4 wrote:
So, when building up a v4.2 frame, roughly how much chain is needed?

A full length XT chain for me, so something like 118. Suprisingly, for some reason the V4 required a longer chain (full length +2), but I had to take out a few links when I switched to the V4.2 ...

That was with a 36 chainring, 11-24 7spd cassette (XT 11-36 without the main cluster) and a medium cage X01 DH

Posted: Jun 18, 2018 at 1:02 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
jonty4 wrote:
So, when building up a v4.2 frame, roughly how much chain is needed?

A full length XT chain for me, so something like 118. Suprisingly, for some reason the V4 required a longer chain (full length +2), but I had to take out a few links when I switched to the V4.2 ...

That was with a 36 chainring, 11-24 7spd cassette (XT 11-36 without the main cluster) and a medium cage X01 DH

Commencal list the V4 as also needing 118 links

https://tech.commencal.com/bike/SUPREME-DH-V4-WORLD-CUP-650B-YELLOW-2016/31.html

Posted: Jun 20, 2018 at 10:33 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
So finally decided my V3 has to go so got it out to photo it for sale today. It's a Great bike but i simply never ride anywhere these days that's not handled by my Enduro bike.

Large Supreme V3 FR with Boxxer RCs for sale 999 or best offer. I hardly used it frame fork and wheel set are basically un-used I raced it twice and practiced the day before the races on it and that s about all it was ever ridden I ve not ridden it since September last year so decided not point in keeping it.

So I’m now an Ex Supreme owner, sale agreed and it’s being picked up Saturday. Feels odd to be selling my DH bike and a great bike at that, but it makes sense.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
Ploutre wrote:
Let me know if you also have that annoying vibration on the rear brake ... Annoying as fck, but I still loved that frame. Selling it to get a longer one ... I should have gone for an XL when I bought it Frown
. How tall are you?


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021545
Mobile Version of Website