Commencal Supreme DH thread

PB Forum :: Commencal
Commencal Supreme DH thread
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 11:05 Quote
Oro wrote:
Recently picked up a 2018 supreme, felt like trying a high pivot for abit. Currently got a TR11 v2. Biggest issue is blowing through 80% travel on very small hits (float x2), will be picking up some volume spacers. Fox recommends 170psi I think from memory, gone up to 200 but still using almost all the travel. Just wondering if this has been a known issue/experience for other owners.
I'm about 13stone roughly in gear, so about 182 pounds. So far I much prefer my Tr11 mainly owing to the weight as it's around 15kg, not weighed the supreme but it has to be 17-18. Im not a racer and have a slight preference for freeride jumps etc. So the transition is probably more of the ideal bike but just interested to see the comparison on the tech. Appreciate any input.

Cheers

I had the float X2 on a gambler and blew through all my travel. I hated that shock. Too linear even with maxed out volume spacers. I'm running a super deluxe ultimate on my supreme and love it. Very supportive and uses the right amount of travel.

Posted: May 9, 2022 at 12:42 Quote
I had the Float X2 on the Phoenix and it was a nightmare to set up but amazing once you get it right.

For freeride or more or les bigger jumps I would go for something easier to pop. Don’t have any experience with the TR11

Posted: May 9, 2022 at 13:16 Quote
norfiril wrote:
I had the Float X2 on the Phoenix and it was a nightmare to set up but amazing once you get it right.

For freeride or more or les bigger jumps I would go for something easier to pop. Don’t have any experience with the TR11

Thanks for the replies. If indeed I do have to swap the shock I'll just sell the bike, not worth the expense for my riding. Been on the TR11 for about 4 months and loving it, so not really any need for the supreme. It came up fairly cheap and I was curious, as it seems like there are more Commencal race teams than days in a year at the moment. They must be doing something right.

What year was the Pivot/shock? Mind if I ask how you got to the settings you needed? Just alot of trial and error? The 2018 MY were still limited to 250psi after the earlier ones kept exploding. Later models have 300 or 350 as the limit now I believe.

Posted: May 9, 2022 at 15:11 Quote
Well that’s a tricky one. I think there is not a setup which works in every situation. So it really is try and error.

Years ago didn’t know anything about sag or how compression works so one setting may look great one day and feel terrible the next one.

I normally set up my sag and begin with the recommended settings. Then I do a few runs and see if the fork and shock are working the same way and according to the trail and how it feels.

I think spending a day or two riding the same trail (or few different trails) and trying different settings is the best approach. Even after that you will do some tweaks here and there (adding/removing one token, 10 PSI more or less…).

In 2018 I rode the Pivot Firebird as my only bike and took me some time until I realized that I didn’t need that much air in the shock. You can really feel when you bottom out in these new shocks so it’s not only looking to how much travel your shock did in one run

Posted: May 10, 2022 at 0:17 Quote
Anyone try upsizing for racing? Am around 170cm. Would large with a short stem work or should I stick to medium? What are team dh riders doing sizing wise?

Posted: May 10, 2022 at 16:32 Quote
bmx-rida wrote:
Anyone try upsizing for racing? Am around 170cm. Would large with a short stem work or should I stick to medium? What are team dh riders doing sizing wise?

IMO it depends on your speed and personal preferences.

The new Supreme is longer. If I were 170 would never consider going for an L size with that wheelbase.

Nevertheless it’s just an opinion and maybe you are different and feel comfortable on it

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 12:59 Quote
Looking for the lower rear shock mounting hardware for a 2020 supreme DH. I don’t necessarily need the axle/bolt. Just the “nut”

Looked on Commencal’s website but they are out of stock until end of June.

Anyone know of any UK stockists that may have these in stock?

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 15:23 Quote
norfiril wrote:
Blablablup123 wrote:
norfiril wrote:
Hi!

I'm riding a 2021 Supreme 29er. Amazing bike, specially on tech trails and for racing.

Since I'm old and only taking part on a few races a year (just for fun) I spend most of my time in bike parks. As I said in tech trails amazing and goes better the faster you go but on flow jump trails... It's very hard for me to clear bigger lines and also no the best bike for tricks.

I've tried 3 different springs but when it comes to flatter lines with 10+ meter jumps it's just so hard.

Not complains because the bike is amazing for what's intended for but, making it mullet or replacing the coil shock with an air one would change this?

Thanks!

I'd try the heaviest spring I can get first. You might be able to run an air shock even stiffer than the hardest coil spring, but I have no experience with that. And turning it into a mullet will probably not help you clear jumps, because the rear suspension stays the same. If you still want to switch to mullet, check out https://www.williamsracingproducts.com/ . They have some custom drop outs.

Thanks mate! Everyone seems to find in the mullet the solution to everything and I tested the Supreme 29/27 last year and didn't felt like that.

I will try a spring this weekend and see if it works but I think the bike is more ment for trail shredding and racing than playing on tabletops.

something is up there for sure, the supreme is great on big jump lines in mullet and dual 29 form

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 0:51 Quote
tom-mc wrote:
norfiril wrote:
Blablablup123 wrote:

I'd try the heaviest spring I can get first. You might be able to run an air shock even stiffer than the hardest coil spring, but I have no experience with that. And turning it into a mullet will probably not help you clear jumps, because the rear suspension stays the same. If you still want to switch to mullet, check out https://www.williamsracingproducts.com/ . They have some custom drop outs.

Thanks mate! Everyone seems to find in the mullet the solution to everything and I tested the Supreme 29/27 last year and didn't felt like that.

I will try a spring this weekend and see if it works but I think the bike is more ment for trail shredding and racing than playing on tabletops.

something is up there for sure, the supreme is great on big jump lines in mullet and dual 29 form

I've tried with an air shock and problem solved.

Now the matter is to find the right spring rate for me because with the normal spring the bike was totally compressed before take off.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 9:06 Quote
norfiril wrote:
tom-mc wrote:
norfiril wrote:

Now the matter is to find the right spring rate for me because with the normal spring the bike was totally compressed before take off.

both of my supremes have had the dhx2 and i really want to try one with an air shock, seems like thats what everyone runs on the world cup circuit too. im just not a fan of the dhx2 in general, not a great shock imo. fox forks and the grip damper are great but ive found basically any monotube coil shock outperforms the dhx2, float x2 seems like it might be a worthwhile upgrade

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 16:10 Quote
tom-mc wrote:
norfiril wrote:
tom-mc wrote:

both of my supremes have had the dhx2 and i really want to try one with an air shock, seems like thats what everyone runs on the world cup circuit too. im just not a fan of the dhx2 in general, not a great shock imo. fox forks and the grip damper are great but ive found basically any monotube coil shock outperforms the dhx2, float x2 seems like it might be a worthwhile upgrade

I rode the DHX2 for so many years until I tried the TTX22M. Night and day

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 9:35 Quote
It seems that there's a growing concern with 2018-2022 Supreme frames cracking around the BB area (specifically starts forming on the seattube/BB area behind the lower shock mount). Also can start on your downtube closest to the BB (take your plastic downtube protector off), or on your chainstays where the bearings sit. Just a warning for anyone that wants to check their frame for cracks. I would warranty them asap if that's the case.

Paul Aston has a video explaining this further:

https://youtu.be/8X0s95RbZR0

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 13:09 Quote
turco999 wrote:
It seems that there's a growing concern with 2018-2022 Supreme frames cracking around the BB area (specifically starts forming on the seattube/BB area behind the lower shock mount). Also can start on your downtube closest to the BB (take your plastic downtube protector off), or on your chainstays where the bearings sit. Just a warning for anyone that wants to check their frame for cracks. I would warranty them asap if that's the case.

Paul Aston has a video explaining this further:

https://youtu.be/8X0s95RbZR0

I checked my frame a few days ago and found some small cracks on the chain stay. My frame was out of warranty for a few months, but they still agreed to a free replacement, within ONE day of contacting. Sadly, the soonest they have frames in stock is october.
So apart from the supply difficulties, customer service was absolutely flawless. I could even choose a frame colour.

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 20:29 Quote
Has anybody had any bad experiences with the warranty? I found a ton of cracks in my frame and commencal is denying the warranty, however offering 10% off a new frame (which I can’t afford). I am the original owner, have proof of purchase, and the bike is within the warranty time frame. I would appreciate advice on what to do

Thanks

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jd4UraFXf9C1yXKc6
^ pictures of cracks

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 6:36 Quote
rangerdanger69 wrote:
Has anybody had any bad experiences with the warranty? I found a ton of cracks in my frame and commencal is denying the warranty, however offering 10% off a new frame (which I can’t afford). I am the original owner, have proof of purchase, and the bike is within the warranty time frame. I would appreciate advice on what to do

Thanks

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jd4UraFXf9C1yXKc6
^ pictures of cracks

I would try to contact Commencal in Andorra directly. Thats what I did at least.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006902
Mobile Version of Website