Commencal Supreme DH thread

PB Forum :: Commencal
Commencal Supreme DH thread
Author Message
O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2022 at 17:19 Quote
I have a set of 27.5 dropouts from WRP for sale. I’m in So Cal. Let me know!

Cwall1 wrote:
Struggleteam wrote:
Hey everybody. I've got a 2021 supreme that is a full 29er. The bike has been awesome so far. However, I've got a 27.5" wheel and I'm curious to try a mullet setup. Has anybody tried it on a full 29er? It obviously changes the bb height and head angle. I'm curious how drastically/noticeably? Any other issues to think about trying this?

Same question for me, mines a 2020 full 29! Does have the adjustable front shock mount, don’t know if that matters or not! I’d like to try a 27.5 wheel on the rear! I don’t have the bolt on drop out that can be changed to the wrp mullet conversion!! Suggestions?

Posted: Oct 14, 2022 at 17:22 Quote
carlinojoe317 wrote:
I have a set of 27.5 dropouts from WRP for sale. I’m in So Cal. Let me know!

Cwall1 wrote:
Struggleteam wrote:
Hey everybody. I've got a 2021 supreme that is a full 29er. The bike has been awesome so far. However, I've got a 27.5" wheel and I'm curious to try a mullet setup. Has anybody tried it on a full 29er? It obviously changes the bb height and head angle. I'm curious how drastically/noticeably? Any other issues to think about trying this?

Same question for me, mines a 2020 full 29! Does have the adjustable front shock mount, don’t know if that matters or not! I’d like to try a 27.5 wheel on the rear! I don’t have the bolt on drop out that can be changed to the wrp mullet conversion!! Suggestions?

Dropouts won’t work for me!! Mine doesn’t have the changeable dropouts!

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 18:55 Quote
Wanted to put this out there as a word of caution - Commencal is sheisty when it comes to honouring their warranty policy. Don't beleive it until you see it!

Here's the story: I'm trying to navigate my second warranty claim this year with Commencal. The first one wasn't an issue. In fact, I'd say that they did a very good job. This second time, not so much...

The bike is a 2022 Supreme DH 29/27. In July, I noticed cracks developing around the bottom bracket shell. I went through the online warranty submission process and had a new frame in-hand 8 days later. Pretty darn good. Continued riding until mid November. When doing my pre-season bike maintenance last month, I checked the BB shell area where the previous cracks developed. Lo-and-behold the identical cracks had developed again in just a few months of riding. "OK, no big deal, let's just do warranty again" I say to myself.

This time, there's a problem though. Commencal has recently released the new v5 model and they do not have any available v4 frames in my size... I thought that it was pretty strange that they have no spares for a bike that they are still selling and still would theoretically come attached with a 2 year warranty? (Watch out folks considering buying a new v4... It might not come with warranty!)

Anyways, they offer me an "upgrade crash replacement" of $1,453 to move up to the new v5. Given that I'm still under full warranty, I don't really like the option to give them more money just to have a safe, functioning bike. We go back an forth some more, and I end up giving them 3 options to make me happy:
1) a v5 frameset free of charge
2) a v4 frameset free of charge, or
3) a refund for full retail price on a v4 frame

They get back to me and say that Option #1 is not possible, but that an appropriate frameset could be sourced from Commencal USA. They also tell me that they could give me a refund for full retail price on the frame. Given that I'd broken two of these frames in one season, I figured I'd cut my losses and take the refund option. Why replace with the same thing only to have it break again? Anyways we come to an agreement for Commencal to refund me $2,800. I give them my banking info and they tell me to expect a refund with 14 business days.

Meanwhile, knowing that refund is coming I go about looking for a new frame. I find a Trek Session in my size at my LBS and most of the old build kits transfers over. PERFECT. I buy the frame.

14 business days go by with no refund. So I follow-up. Apparently my refund went to the wrong department, so it hadn't been processed yet. "OK no big deal, I 'll just wait a couple more days. A couple days goes by and get a strange email from Commencal... Apparently my refund needs special approval from top management in Andorra.... "OK, getting a bit nervous"... Then the next day the email comes - Flat out saying that while they recognize that they offered a refund, that they no longer can honour that agreement. My only options are a replacement v4 frame or to pay for a v5 upgrade.

Now on paper might not sound so bad, but doesn't take into account that I was promised a refund and was planning on using that money towards the Trek. Now I'm left holding the bag for $2800 on the Trek... If a refund wasn't in the cards, I definitely would not have bought the Trek. Moral of the story, be super super weary of warranty dealings with Commencal. They'll ignore some rules, make up others, and back out of agreements... Good bikes, the staff were OK to deal with through this process, but overall just a shitty company to deal with. In hindsight, I jumped the gun buying the Trek without my refund dollars in hand, but it's a total bummer that Commencal re-negged on our agreement and left me standing out in the cold... With $2,800 dollars on my line of credit until I receive and sell the replacement frame.

Anyways, I guess this just a really long way to say:

"Hey! Does anyone want to buy a brand new Supereme XL 29/27 frameset?"

April 2023 Update:

After continued negotiations with Commencal, they ended up offering a further discount on their "crash replacement" price... This discount allowed an opportunity for me to sell a v5 frame at a small discount to retail, and pay myself a "refund" for my faulty v4 frame. Luckily I was able to find a sucker willing to prepay me as the v5 wouldn't be delivered for a couple months. This got me out of the financial pinch, and closed the loop on this epic saga. The v5 frame has now been delivered to the guy who bought it, so I can very happily never EVER deal with Commencal again.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 3:02 Quote
skimtb1 wrote:
Wanted to put this out there as a word of caution - Commencal is sheisty when it comes to honouring their warranty policy. Don't beleive it until you see it!

Here's the story: I'm trying to navigate my second warranty claim this year with Commencal. The first one wasn't an issue. In fact, I'd say that they did a very good job. This second time, not so much...

The bike is a 2022 Supreme DH 29/27. In July, I noticed cracks developing around the bottom bracket shell. I went through the online warranty submission process and had a new frame in-hand 8 days later. Pretty darn good. Continued riding until mid November. When doing my pre-season bike maintenance last month, I checked the BB shell area where the previous cracks developed. Lo-and-behold the identical cracks had developed again in just a few months of riding. "OK, no big deal, let's just do warranty again" I say to myself.

This time, there's a problem though. Commencal has recently released the new v5 model and they do not have any available v4 frames in my size... I thought that it was pretty strange that they have no spares for a bike that they are still selling and still would theoretically come attached with a 2 year warranty? (Watch out folks considering buying a new v4... It might not come with warranty!)

Anyways, they offer me an "upgrade crash replacement" of $1,453 to move up to the new v5. Given that I'm still under full warranty, I don't really like the option to give them more money just to have a safe, functioning bike. We go back an forth some more, and I end up giving them 3 options to make me happy:
1) a v5 frameset free of charge
2) a v4 frameset free of charge, or
3) a refund for full retail price on a v4 frame

They get back to me and say that Option #1 is not possible, but that an appropriate frameset could be sourced from Commencal USA. They also tell me that they could give me a refund for full retail price on the frame. Given that I'd broken two of these frames in one season, I figured I'd cut my losses and take the refund option. Why replace with the same thing only to have it break again? Anyways we come to an agreement for Commencal to refund me $2,800. I give them my banking info and they tell me to expect a refund with 14 business days.

Meanwhile, knowing that refund is coming I go about looking for a new frame. I find a Trek Session in my size at my LBS and most of the old build kits transfers over. PERFECT. I buy the frame.

14 business days go by with no refund. So I follow-up. Apparently my refund went to the wrong department, so it hadn't been processed yet. "OK no big deal, I 'll just wait a couple more days. A couple days goes by and get a strange email from Commencal... Apparently my refund needs special approval from top management in Andorra.... "OK, getting a bit nervous"... Then the next day the email comes - Flat out saying that while they recognize that they offered a refund, that they no longer can honour that agreement. My only options are a replacement v4 frame or to pay for a v5 upgrade.

Now on paper might not sound so bad, but doesn't take into account that I was promised a refund and was planning on using that money towards the Trek. Now I'm left holding the bag for $2800 on the Trek... If a refund wasn't in the cards, I definitely would not have bought the Trek. Moral of the story, be super super weary of warranty dealings with Commencal. They'll ignore some rules, make up others, and back out of agreements... Good bikes, the staff were OK to deal with through this process, but overall just a shitty company to deal with. In hindsight, I jumped the gun buying the Trek without my refund dollars in hand, but it's a total bummer that Commencal re-negged on our agreement and left me standing out in the cold... With $2,800 dollars on my line of credit until I receive and sell the replacement frame.

Anyways, I guess this just a really long way to say:

"Hey! Does anyone want to buy a brand new Supereme XL 29/27 frameset?"

I’m not sure what the court system looks like in Canada for small claims like this, but I do know that Canada has the personal property security act, which is very similar to the uniform commercial code.

I hate pointless lawsuits, but yours would no pointless. The company made a warranty contract with you when you bought the bike. When they couldn’t fulfill that contract, someone promised you a refund to satisfy the contact. You made a decision based on that promise, and now they’ve gone back on it causing you to spend an extra $2800.

If you take them to court, you will easily get your $2800. Tell commencal that you are taking legal action based on what I told you. I expect that they will just give you the money without you having to take legal action. If not, easy day in court

Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 14:21 Quote
skimtb1 wrote:
Wanted to put this out there as a word of caution - Commencal is sheisty when it comes to honouring their warranty policy. Don't beleive it until you see it!

Here's the story: I'm trying to navigate my second warranty claim this year with Commencal. The first one wasn't an issue. In fact, I'd say that they did a very good job. This second time, not so much...

The bike is a 2022 Supreme DH 29/27. In July, I noticed cracks developing around the bottom bracket shell. I went through the online warranty submission process and had a new frame in-hand 8 days later. Pretty darn good. Continued riding until mid November. When doing my pre-season bike maintenance last month, I checked the BB shell area where the previous cracks developed. Lo-and-behold the identical cracks had developed again in just a few months of riding. "OK, no big deal, let's just do warranty again" I say to myself.

This time, there's a problem though. Commencal has recently released the new v5 model and they do not have any available v4 frames in my size... I thought that it was pretty strange that they have no spares for a bike that they are still selling and still would theoretically come attached with a 2 year warranty? (Watch out folks considering buying a new v4... It might not come with warranty!)

Anyways, they offer me an "upgrade crash replacement" of $1,453 to move up to the new v5. Given that I'm still under full warranty, I don't really like the option to give them more money just to have a safe, functioning bike. We go back an forth some more, and I end up giving them 3 options to make me happy:
1) a v5 frameset free of charge
2) a v4 frameset free of charge, or
3) a refund for full retail price on a v4 frame

They get back to me and say that Option #1 is not possible, but that an appropriate frameset could be sourced from Commencal USA. They also tell me that they could give me a refund for full retail price on the frame. Given that I'd broken two of these frames in one season, I figured I'd cut my losses and take the refund option. Why replace with the same thing only to have it break again? Anyways we come to an agreement for Commencal to refund me $2,800. I give them my banking info and they tell me to expect a refund with 14 business days.

Meanwhile, knowing that refund is coming I go about looking for a new frame. I find a Trek Session in my size at my LBS and most of the old build kits transfers over. PERFECT. I buy the frame.

14 business days go by with no refund. So I follow-up. Apparently my refund went to the wrong department, so it hadn't been processed yet. "OK no big deal, I 'll just wait a couple more days. A couple days goes by and get a strange email from Commencal... Apparently my refund needs special approval from top management in Andorra.... "OK, getting a bit nervous"... Then the next day the email comes - Flat out saying that while they recognize that they offered a refund, that they no longer can honour that agreement. My only options are a replacement v4 frame or to pay for a v5 upgrade.

Now on paper might not sound so bad, but doesn't take into account that I was promised a refund and was planning on using that money towards the Trek. Now I'm left holding the bag for $2800 on the Trek... If a refund wasn't in the cards, I definitely would not have bought the Trek. Moral of the story, be super super weary of warranty dealings with Commencal. They'll ignore some rules, make up others, and back out of agreements... Good bikes, the staff were OK to deal with through this process, but overall just a shitty company to deal with. In hindsight, I jumped the gun buying the Trek without my refund dollars in hand, but it's a total bummer that Commencal re-negged on our agreement and left me standing out in the cold... With $2,800 dollars on my line of credit until I receive and sell the replacement frame.

Anyways, I guess this just a really long way to say:

"Hey! Does anyone want to buy a brand new Supereme XL 29/27 frameset?"

Sorry to hear about this man. This is a common problem with the Supreme DH, and is a HUGE reason why they redesigned the bike entirely. I can't imagine how many warranty claims they have gotten on that frame. And for anyone that has one I strongly suggest you check the top of the BB shell for cracks also. They're more likely to crack, then not too and it's ALWAYS in that same spot. Damn that sucks -.-

I wouldn't support Commencal, that's pure shade on their part. All DH frames should be warrantied for life, no questions asked. Otherwise that tells the consumer the company knows it won't last in which case don't give them your money. I'll never buy a Commencal now after seeing them give multiple people a hard time with warranty. That shouldn't be on you to pay a DIME. The frame cracking due to design flaw (which is more common than not on that frame) and a manufacturing error. They all crack the same way in the same spot, and they try and pull the "crash replacement" bullshit. What a scam.

I wonder how many people they've scammed into paying for a "crash replacement" even though the frames cracked due to flaws in the design. I'm surprised they haven't seen a class action lawsuit against them at this point. Shadiness

Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 18:53 Quote
Maybe it's time for a class action.

Posted: Mar 20, 2023 at 14:09 Quote
Hey all. Friend of mine recently bought a v4.2 frame and I’m helping with his build.

We are trying to source a lower chain guide/bash guard, however, we’re having issues. The obvious choice would be the E13 LG1+ but these aren’t in stock most places. Are there any others we could try as I believe the fitment is awkward so a lot of options won’t fit

Posted: Mar 20, 2023 at 15:02 Quote
You don't really need the top bit of the chain guide, especially if his chainring is of the narrowide kind.

As for the bottom, you could easily get a cheap full iscg05 guide, and just chop the top part. Like one of those :
https://www.bike24.com/p2111534.html

And either saw it off just leaving the bottom 2 bolts, or if it fits, just remove the top chain guide and leave the backplate complete.

Posted: Mar 21, 2023 at 7:54 Quote
Rocco2787 wrote:
Hey all. Friend of mine recently bought a v4.2 frame and I’m helping with his build.

We are trying to source a lower chain guide/bash guard, however, we’re having issues. The obvious choice would be the E13 LG1+ but these aren’t in stock most places. Are there any others we could try as I believe the fitment is awkward so a lot of options won’t fit

https://www.blackspire.com/product/der-guide/

These are on sale right now, made in Canada. I've been running one since the beginning of last season, and I've been loving it. Smile I need to replace the bash-plate now but other than that it's still good to go and it lasted a whole year of gnarly rocky DH abuse Big Grin . Would buy again! Hopefully it will fit for ya. YEEWWW!!!! Big Grin \m/

Posted: Apr 3, 2023 at 10:43 Quote
Hi guys ! I have a 2021 supreme dh front triangle. Which rear triangle is compatible with it? V4.2 V4.3 ? Thanks in advance!

Posted: Apr 3, 2023 at 11:31 Quote
tislerpeter92 wrote:
Hi guys ! I have a 2021 supreme dh front triangle. Which rear triangle is compatible with it? V4.2 V4.3 ? Thanks in advance!

Hey! Do you know if it was the mullet edition?
It should be the V4.3 if it's 2021. But I think you likely have the V4.35 or 4.4, idk what they called it (basically the most recent iteration before the V5), in either full 29 or mullet (both were an option that year). Smile

Posted: Apr 6, 2023 at 14:33 Quote
kyleluvsdh wrote:
tislerpeter92 wrote:
Hi guys ! I have a 2021 supreme dh front triangle. Which rear triangle is compatible with it? V4.2 V4.3 ? Thanks in advance!

Hey! Do you know if it was the mullet edition?
It should be the V4.3 if it's 2021. But I think you likely have the V4.35 or 4.4, idk what they called it (basically the most recent iteration before the V5), in either full 29 or mullet (both were an option that year). Smile


Thank you for reply ! The problem is that I don’t have a clue if it’s mullett or not. I found this: https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3421928/

Any chance if it fits ?

Posted: Apr 6, 2023 at 14:53 Quote
tislerpeter92 wrote:
kyleluvsdh wrote:
tislerpeter92 wrote:
Hi guys ! I have a 2021 supreme dh front triangle. Which rear triangle is compatible with it? V4.2 V4.3 ? Thanks in advance!

Hey! Do you know if it was the mullet edition?
It should be the V4.3 if it's 2021. But I think you likely have the V4.35 or 4.4, idk what they called it (basically the most recent iteration before the V5), in either full 29 or mullet (both were an option that year). Smile


Thank you for reply ! The problem is that I don’t have a clue if it’s mullett or not. I found this: https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3421928/

Any chance if it fits ?

Hmmm, do you have a photo of the front triangle? Also is there a serial number on the front triangle? If so, you could email Commencal, send them the serial number and they should be able to tell you exactly what rear triangle it needs. And you could probably buy one from them if you can't find one cheaper somewhere else Smile

No problem at all my friend, I'm happy to help especially if it could help you get on the bike sooner. Cheers eh! Big Grin

Posted: Apr 6, 2023 at 20:46 Quote
tislerpeter92 wrote:
kyleluvsdh wrote:
tislerpeter92 wrote:
Hi guys ! I have a 2021 supreme dh front triangle. Which rear triangle is compatible with it? V4.2 V4.3 ? Thanks in advance!

Hey! Do you know if it was the mullet edition?
It should be the V4.3 if it's 2021. But I think you likely have the V4.35 or 4.4, idk what they called it (basically the most recent iteration before the V5), in either full 29 or mullet (both were an option that year). Smile


Thank you for reply ! The problem is that I don’t have a clue if it’s mullett or not. I found this: https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3421928/

Any chance if it fits ?

I've got a 2021/2022 supreme mullet rear triangle and linkage for sale if you're interested...

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3534914/


 


Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015525
Mobile Version of Website