RockShox Boxxer, Converting Rc to Wc?

PB Forum :: Downhill
RockShox Boxxer, Converting Rc to Wc?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 at 22:38 Quote
Hey PB i, i have a set of rockshox boxxers from 2012 and i was wondering if i am able to pull out the rc damper and the spring parts, and replace it all with Wc internals like the solo air part! I was also looking around and i saw some forks with different adjustments, instead of one side air and the other side compression, the air side said bottom out and the other side had low and high speed adjustments. which version of forks are these cause i could really use those adjustments. Anyone hear of aftermarket fast black stantions??
Thanks Tim

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 at 12:15 Quote
Get the 2015 charger upgrade kit. If the fork has bren ridden, chances are the stanchion is scratched on the inside, meaning converting to air will most likely require a newcstanchion too

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 at 20:38 Quote
Checkout avalanche cartridges are well transformed my RC completely.

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 at 21:45 Quote
christiaan wrote:
Get the 2015 charger upgrade kit. If the fork has bren ridden, chances are the stanchion is scratched on the inside, meaning converting to air will most likely require a newcstanchion too
ohh ok and yea ill think about the charger damper

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 at 21:45 Quote
kent wrote:
ill check it out

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 at 22:08 Quote
kent wrote:
does that kit turn it into an air fork?

Posted: Oct 15, 2014 at 22:06 Quote
TimField42 wrote:
kent wrote:

No, it would be unwise to convert a coil to air as the internal sealing surfaces will have been damaged by the spring. It may work for a while but eventually the imperfections will cause the air spring assembly to fail. Or it will never work properly, constantly bleeding air at a slow rate.

Why do you want an air fork?

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 14:17 Quote
Better, easier and more precise adjustment, not the happiest with the rc forks, i want more adjustment out of them, i like being able to keep it soft when im going threw bumps and get it a little stiffer to jump, and the coil is all just one spring rate also, i to have kinda more options like its softer in the first 45 to 50 percent of the travel, a little bit stiffer in the 50 to 90 percent and then bottom out control the last 10 percent, idk if that makes much sense though
cueTIP wrote:
TimField42 wrote:
kent wrote:

No, it would be unwise to convert a coil to air as the internal sealing surfaces will have been damaged by the spring. It may work for a while but eventually the imperfections will cause the air spring assembly to fail. Or it will never work properly, constantly bleeding air at a slow rate.

Why do you want an air fork?

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 18:16 Quote
That task is better accomplished with an upgraded damper not a different spring system. Swap out the damper for a charger and you will be much happier.

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 23:24 Quote
really? cause i looked at the charger damper and the only adjustment i see on it is low speed :/ im looking for low high speed adjustments and maybe a little more rebound adjustments after a day at the bike park yesterday, i saw on the 2011 edition i think boxxers they have like low speed, high speed and two diffrent rebound knobs also, would that damper work? or only the charger?
cueTIP wrote:
That task is better accomplished with an upgraded damper not a different spring system. Swap out the damper for a charger and you will be much happier.

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 23:54 Quote
The charger is just a better damper all around than the mission control in the 2011-2014 Boxxers. You don't really need to have the high speed knob if the damper is doing its job so much better.

I've got a 2012 Boxxer R2C2 and the Charger transformed it entirely.

To go from jump trails to more technical trails the biggest change is going to come from the low speed compression adjustment anyways. Popping off jump lips is a function of low speed damping.

Posted: Oct 20, 2014 at 16:06 Quote
thats true, alright thanks man for the help and info man!
cueTIP wrote:
The charger is just a better damper all around than the mission control in the 2011-2014 Boxxers. You don't really need to have the high speed knob if the damper is doing its job so much better.

I've got a 2012 Boxxer R2C2 and the Charger transformed it entirely.

To go from jump trails to more technical trails the biggest change is going to come from the low speed compression adjustment anyways. Popping off jump lips is a function of low speed damping.

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 at 5:14 Quote
TimField42 wrote:
Hey PB i, i have a set of rockshox boxxers from 2012 and i was wondering if i am able to pull out the rc damper and the spring parts, and replace it all with Wc internals like the solo air part! I was also looking around and i saw some forks with different adjustments, instead of one side air and the other side compression, the air side said bottom out and the other side had low and high speed adjustments. which version of forks are these cause i could really use those adjustments. Anyone hear of aftermarket fast black stantions??
Thanks Tim

You can. There is a casting plug in the lower leg of the boxxer rc that you have to knock out bore the other dampers will fit. Charger, elka, ava, r2c2 or whatever. Put the rc damper in the leg and use a 9mm socket to knock the plug free, when you pull the damper out the casting plug will be on it. Don't lose it. Then you can put whatever damper in it you want.

The air conversion should have a new stanchion, or its a lot of service, get some sram butter and lube the seals on the air spring, it'll fill in the little scratched from the spring. But as the grease wears away you'll start losing air pressure. So it's a lot of regressing.

I know this was from last October but someone else might want this info.

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 at 18:15 Quote
What would you guys say the differences are between r2c2 and charger damper ride characteristics?

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 at 19:47 Quote
I don't have the charger damper, I have an elka stage 4 cartridge. I have to assume they work and feel the same way though, and any differences between them would be minor.

With the r2c2 dampers I felt like I adjusted them run after run after run until they were close to feeling good, but i feel like I just gave up screwing with them instead of getting them right. The fork still felt good, just not as good. I got the elka cart and honestly after about 5 runs had the balance between pedaling and corners set up. Rebound was easy. And that was it. No tired arms, smooth braking bumps and less shock through roots and rocks. It just feels like I don't have to screw with it, and if I switch from fast and flowy to technical and choppy it's just a couple clicks of comp adjustment and it's spot on.

When I got the elka cart there was no charger damper upgrade yet.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.062556
Mobile Version of Website