Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 3:02 Quote
poah wrote:
DK00 wrote:
hey guys need some advice here.
I'm currently riding a 2016 Patrol 4, all stocked parts, fork is the marzocchi one. I'm looking to upgrade either the fork or the shock to some higher end one. Currently looking at the fox36 and the float X2, but the thing is my budget only allow me to choose from one of them this time, so I don't know which one I should go upgrade first. Never owned a such expensive fork or shock before, don't know what they can deliver to my bike and my riding.
My riding area is at some local trails at North van and Burke mountain, few times at whistler bike park every year, also looking to ride a bit more at the park next year.
Any advise is useful
Thanks in advance.

the monarch isn't that bad a shock so I would be changing the fork but I personally wouldn't waste my money on a 36. I'd probably get a mattoc pro2 if I was changing my current pike. For the rear I'd consider a CCDB coil IL over any air shock.

what is it about the rear you don't like?

Waste money on a 36...

Hilarious.

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 3:20 Quote
Go 36
Thas what i did to replace my pike and love it

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 4:06 Quote
Charge262 wrote:
poah wrote:
DK00 wrote:
hey guys need some advice here.
I'm currently riding a 2016 Patrol 4, all stocked parts, fork is the marzocchi one. I'm looking to upgrade either the fork or the shock to some higher end one. Currently looking at the fox36 and the float X2, but the thing is my budget only allow me to choose from one of them this time, so I don't know which one I should go upgrade first. Never owned a such expensive fork or shock before, don't know what they can deliver to my bike and my riding.
My riding area is at some local trails at North van and Burke mountain, few times at whistler bike park every year, also looking to ride a bit more at the park next year.
Any advise is useful
Thanks in advance.

the monarch isn't that bad a shock so I would be changing the fork but I personally wouldn't waste my money on a 36. I'd probably get a mattoc pro2 if I was changing my current pike. For the rear I'd consider a CCDB coil IL over any air shock.

Waste money on a 36...

Hilarious.

except thats not what I said

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 5:26 Quote
Hey, I know some of you are running a Lyrik. I might grab one, its a 180 mm. Anyone running a 180 on their Patrol?

it's different offset (46mm) and axle to crown than what is recommended so i wasn't sure. Pretty sure I can swap air springs too in it to go lower if I want. Anyone?

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 5:34 Quote
As we're on shocks, anyone changed the one on their Scout? Whilst there's nothing wrong with the Monarch, I'm sure it could be bettered!

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 5:43 Quote
fat-homer wrote:
As we're on shocks, anyone changed the one on their Scout? Whilst there's nothing wrong with the Monarch, I'm sure it could be bettered!

see a couple with DB inlines and a coil.

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 6:06 Quote
Put a ccdb coil on my patrol and its sweet as. You seem to loose a tiny bit of "pop" but its feels completely bottomless. I won't be going back to the air can that's for sure.

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 6:25 Quote
monts wrote:
Hey, I know some of you are running a Lyrik. I might grab one, its a 180 mm. Anyone running a 180 on their Patrol?

it's different offset (46mm) and axle to crown than what is recommended so i wasn't sure. Pretty sure I can swap air springs too in it to go lower if I want. Anyone?

I ran mine at 180 for a hot second, wasn't for me, I felt it brought the front end up too much and slacked the bike out way too much. Made the handindling weird as the bb was a little too high also. And yeah you could toss a 160 or 170 air shaft in there

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 6:43 Quote
willaasss wrote:
Put a ccdb coil on my patrol and its sweet as. You seem to loose a tiny bit of "pop" but its feels completely bottomless. I won't be going back to the air can that's for sure.

I second this, ran a CCDB air till it got stuck down, went CCDB coil and won't be going back. Oh, and on the downhills, well, fast, very fast.

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 7:33 Quote
Stayslacking wrote:
monts wrote:

I ran mine at 180 for a hot second, wasn't for me, I felt it brought the front end up too much and slacked the bike out way too much. Made the handindling weird as the bb was a little too high also. And yeah you could toss a 160 or 170 air shaft in there

Hey thanks man, i figured it would slack it out for sure, but having the option to change it is nice.

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 7:52 Quote
monts wrote:
Stayslacking wrote:
monts wrote:

Hey thanks man, i figured it would slack it out for sure, but having the option to change it is nice.

Originally had a 160mm marzocchi fork on mine, swapped it out to a 180mm 36 was only 10mm difference from axle to top of the crown(where the headset bearings sit) so hardly slackened it out crazy amounts. Love the extra smash ability ha. I'm not sure how long the lyric is in comparison tho unfortunately.
I think its depends on the trails you ride to be fair, plenty steep's where i am so suits what im doing with it.

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 8:06 Quote
poah wrote:
DK00 wrote:
poah wrote:

thanks for your reply. I don't have much complain about my shock, like I mentioned above, I don't know what I can expect for those "high end parts", just wanna have a try on those, since I really like this sport, so I wanna try sth new and I don't mind spend some money on it.

I'd go with a better fork first.
sounds good man, cheers

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 8:14 Quote
willaasss wrote:
monts wrote:
Stayslacking wrote:

Originally had a 160mm marzocchi fork on mine, swapped it out to a 180mm 36 was only 10mm difference from axle to top of the crown(where the headset bearings sit) so hardly slackened it out crazy amounts. Love the extra smash ability ha. I'm not sure how long the lyric is in comparison tho unfortunately.
I think its depends on the trails you ride to be fair, plenty steep's where i am so suits what im doing with it.

Thanks man, i think I'm going to give it a try!

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 at 9:14 Quote
fat-homer wrote:

Still recommend the zocchi 053.it is almost as great as the x2, nur only 316 gramms and only costs 320 Dollars new. Perhaps if you ask your shop a notch less ;-)
I use it and it rides great

Posted: Dec 16, 2016 at 10:05 Quote
Anyone run a E13 TRS cassette on their Patrol C? I'm curious about the clearance of the chain. I was playing around with gearing ratios and got a 9-42 cassette to be paired with a 26t up front. Well, The 26t paired with an 11t on my old cassette gives me ~1/8 inch clearance between the chain and the rubber stay protector. 9t would make it even closer, or might put it actually on the protector. My options are

A) take the protector off and replace with something thinner like electrical tape

B) Bag the 26t and go for a 28. This would also mean to get the climbing ratio I would be after, I'd need to jump up to the TRS Race 9-46 cassette and would need to get a 1x11 mech and shifter. The 9-42 allows me to use my x7 from my old troy.

Feel free to snicker at the 26t. The ratios allow me to have better climbing and still spin out less than the 30t I currently have(26+9t vs 30+11t).

Any thoughts anyone?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013519
Mobile Version of Website