Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 13:17 Quote
ArchieDH wrote:
wythall1 wrote:
ArchieDH wrote:
The guy at the bike shop i bought my bike off is going to sort it all for me, although i think im only getting a replacement swingarm, as much as im hoping for a full frame haha

I think I will have my Patrol and Suppressor out tomorrow and inspect them closely. There is only about a week of warranty left on the patrol!

I think the only reason mine cracked is because i cased a jump badly last week, however i am quite a hard rider..

they wouldn't crack like that on a cased jump, i think on that place it is more from thrashing it on the corners and the lateral torsion(if you whip and land with the back to the side)
mine cracked on that place but on the welds both sides.
check also the main pivot on the front triangle , you have to disassemble the rocker arm. check the photos someone posted 2/3 months ago, mine had a crack there too

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 13:22 Quote
tiagomano wrote:
ArchieDH wrote:
wythall1 wrote:

I think I will have my Patrol and Suppressor out tomorrow and inspect them closely. There is only about a week of warranty left on the patrol!

I think the only reason mine cracked is because i cased a jump badly last week, however i am quite a hard rider..

they wouldn't crack like that on a cased jump, i think on that place it is more from thrashing it on the corners and the lateral torsion(if you whip and land with the back to the side)
mine cracked on that place but on the welds both sides.
check also the main pivot on the front triangle , you have to disassemble the rocker arm. check the photos someone posted 2/3 months ago, mine had a crack there too

And mine did too... look on the edge of the rocker pivot weld

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 3:05 Quote
Hi all

I'm going to be in the market for a new bike soon and have narrowed loads of choices down to the patrol, sadly without riding that many bikes. However, as most others i'm stuck on sizing for my height as i'm not sure i can get a test ride arranged.

I'm just over 5' 8" and ride a stumpy evo 26er atm with 40mm stem. Can feel cramped on the tight turns but other than that it's what i'm used to and rides fine.

Any suggestions? Medium or large?

I'm going to do a search for dealers to get to sit on one asap.

Cheers

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 4:00 Quote
poah wrote:
medium

Are you a similar height? I definately need to book a test ride, the medium looks tiny.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 4:09 Quote
The medium doesn't feel much smaller than the large. It depends on your riding. The lg is very long.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 4:39 Quote
CHRISSYWADDLE wrote:
the medium looks tiny.

Maybe it's just far away? Wink

What are you basing 'tiny' on? Patrol's have a generous reach for the size but not a huge top tube. The difference in sizes is only 25-30mm. Stem length and bar width can make a big change in fit and feel.

At 5' 8" you are bang in the middle of Medium from the Transition size guide.

The large feels big (in a good way) under me - I'm 6 foot tall with long arms, 50mm stem, 780mm bars.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 5:34 Quote
Funny man...

Just curious from reading alsorts of sizings in here from people. I've foud a dealer near me so will pop down for a sit on a few very soon.

gravityslaves wrote:
CHRISSYWADDLE wrote:
the medium looks tiny.

Maybe it's just far away? Wink

What are you basing 'tiny' on? Patrol's have a generous reach for the size but not a huge top tube. The difference in sizes is only 25-30mm. Stem length and bar width can make a big change in fit and feel.

At 5' 8" you are bang in the middle of Medium from the Transition size guide.

The large feels big (in a good way) under me - I'm 6 foot tall with long arms, 50mm stem, 780mm bars.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 5:57 Quote
CHRISSYWADDLE wrote:
poah wrote:
medium

Are you a similar height? I definately need to book a test ride, the medium looks tiny.

slightly smaller and ride a small suppressor. bro in law has a medium patrol and i feel its just slightly too big. if you got a large I suspect you wouldn't be able to run a 125mm dropper. I might be wrong though.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 6:21 Quote
I'm 5'9" and ride a large with 35mm stem. It's long and the stand over isn't as generous as on the medium but it feels less cramped and more stable. That said, I found that it's all about personal preference. I would definitely recommend trying both sizes out before purchasing. Also, just FYI, Lars From Transition rides a large. He's in the 5'8-9" range.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 6:31 Quote
I suspect you'll end up on a medium. I'm on a large and I'm an inch taller with the arms of someone 6ft tall. Even at that, I'm comfortable with a 40mm stem with the seat slid forward. I could do a 31mm stem and slide the seat back a bit, but I figure doing it the way I am will help keep more weight on the front wheel for climbs before desending. Good luck.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 6:33 Quote
Just curious, what tire combos are people using on their patrols? Thinking DHF/DHR, Double DHF, or E13 TRS for the upcoming season, but I'm curious what others are doing.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 6:34 Quote
Sorry, my 'small or far away' was a Father Ted reference, was trying to be funny rather than a smart arse Wink

Standover is the big bit for me too, and one of the reasons I came to choose the Patrol. The seat tube is pretty short for the length, compared to, say, the Capra on anything from SC.
This lets me run a 150mm dropper with a bit of spare, so I can slam it for DH days or lift it for pedaling days.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 8:22 Quote
Don't worry i got yah mate. It's all cool Smile

Thanks for all of the advice, just need to get sitting on some now.

gravityslaves wrote:
Sorry, my 'small or far away' was a Father Ted reference, was trying to be funny rather than a smart arse Wink

Standover is the big bit for me too, and one of the reasons I came to choose the Patrol. The seat tube is pretty short for the length, compared to, say, the Capra on anything from SC.
This lets me run a 150mm dropper with a bit of spare, so I can slam it for DH days or lift it for pedaling days.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 9:25 Quote
5'8 and sold my medium patrol. It didn't feel long at all, especially when stood up- in fact my 18" stanton switchback felt much much more stable and comfortable. For reference with a 125mm post I had well over an inch to play with.

I'm now on a large '17 orange five (35mm stem, 150mm post- just) with very similar reach to a large patrol.

Personal preference of course but I haven't looked back. Good luck.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011679
Mobile Version of Website