Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 18:59 Quote
ArchieDH wrote:
Sometimes i get pretty excited to ride my bike lol, checkout a run from the Pleney on board my patrol! Tempted to maybe get a coil for this year? Currently running a Float X2 air can! How does it ride with a coil?

Awesome! Love your vids Archie, so stoked for the snow to melt on bc mountains...

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 19:07 Quote
So with a new season coming up, Im debating between either selling my patrol and trying something new or giving it some love and upgrading a few bits!

With my current build the only thing that would potentially be worth an upgrade are the wheels. Im running the stock i25 rims and sram hubs with maxsis dhf/dhr2 3c max terra tires. Never upgraded wheels before as I was never sure how much difference do they REALLY make to the ride! Haven't had any problems, denting or anything like that with the current rims so as far as performance they are getting the job done.

Was thinking of going to a Stans mk3 flow / hope pro4 or dt swiss 350 hubs. Also potentially giving Schwalbe tires a go as well. All in Id probably be around the $1000-$1200 cad range for wheels/tires/tubeless + time before I sold my current wheels. On paper Id save around 60g per rim and about 400g or so between the new hubs! The schwalbe tires would probably be 200-300g heavier per tire so rotational weight would grow if anything.

If my currently wheels haven't given me any notable problems, would this be worth an upgrade that I could feel on the trail?!

Thanks!

If I sold my patrol I was either looking at upgrading to a carbon patrol, carbon scout, or giving 29 wheels a go!

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 20:38 Quote
gravity808 wrote:
So with a new season coming up, Im debating between either selling my patrol and trying something new or giving it some love and upgrading a few bits!

With my current build the only thing that would potentially be worth an upgrade are the wheels. Im running the stock i25 rims and sram hubs with maxsis dhf/dhr2 3c max terra tires. Never upgraded wheels before as I was never sure how much difference do they REALLY make to the ride! Haven't had any problems, denting or anything like that with the current rims so as far as performance they are getting the job done.

Was thinking of going to a Stans mk3 flow / hope pro4 or dt swiss 350 hubs. Also potentially giving Schwalbe tires a go as well. All in Id probably be around the $1000-$1200 cad range for wheels/tires/tubeless + time before I sold my current wheels. On paper Id save around 60g per rim and about 400g or so between the new hubs! The schwalbe tires would probably be 200-300g heavier per tire so rotational weight would grow if anything.

If my currently wheels haven't given me any notable problems, would this be worth an upgrade that I could feel on the trail?!

Thanks!

If I sold my patrol I was either looking at upgrading to a carbon patrol, carbon scout, or giving 29 wheels a go!

Maybe if youre going to change wheels, give carbon a chance. Id recomend nobl 38mm rims on hope pro 4s. They are really stiff. Youll probs pay around 1000 usd for them and it will be way better then alumimium. For me the change was insane. It was day and night. And schwalbe tires are lighter then maxxis tires so if anything youll save weight on the tires.

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 21:04 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
gravity808 wrote:

Thanks!

Maybe if youre going to change wheels, give carbon a chance. Id recomend nobl 38mm rims on hope pro 4s. They are really stiff. Youll probs pay around 1000 usd for them and it will be way better then alumimium. For me the change was insane. It was day and night. And schwalbe tires are lighter then maxxis tires so if anything youll save weight on the tires.

Don't think I could justify the extra expensive of carbon. I have seen a few sets of used nobl wheel sets for $1200-$1400 used but without the warranty, a cracked rim still seems so common! I definitely want to demo a set soon that said.

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 21:38 Quote
gravity808 wrote:
Niko182 wrote:
gravity808 wrote:

Thanks!

Don't think I could justify the extra expensive of carbon. I have seen a few sets of used nobl wheel sets for $1200-$1400 used but without the warranty, a cracked rim still seems so common! I definitely want to demo a set soon that said.

I dont think there is record of the nobl 38mm cracking. And the dofference they make is insane. Also, you can probably build up a set for around 1600cad new.

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 2:44 Quote
Hello,

I'll got a 2016 Patrol carbon, but I have to purchase a shock as it comes without any.
Wanted to test something else than the Monarch Plus I have on my Alu Patrol.

I was looking for the Fox float X, the price is a bit steep here but I heard good review.
There seems to be different version, LV, Evol... what would you recommend for the Patrol Carbone ?
Or any other advise for a rear shock ?

Thanks !

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 4:19 Quote
TheLittleFox wrote:
Hello,

I'll got a 2016 Patrol carbon, but I have to purchase a shock as it comes without any.

I was looking for the Fox float X, the price is a bit steep here but I heard good review.
There seems to be different version, LV, Evol... what would you recommend for the Patrol Carbone ?

Thanks !
as you don't have any shox try contacting transition to see if they sell the metric link already and buy a metric shox

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 4:31 Quote
tiagomano wrote:
TheLittleFox wrote:
Hello,

Thanks !
as you don't have any shox try contacting transition to see if they sell the metric link already and buy a metric shox

Or jump strait into the proper stuff and get the new 2017 inline db coil with a light weight steel spring!

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 7:57 Quote
coil IL would be my choice

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 9:23 Quote
pigman65 wrote:
ArchieDH wrote:
missionS wrote:

That looks ace

Thanks man!
Go back and do it again, the Chute was shut so that was not a full run ! lol

Shhh haha, we rode the natural Chute instead, way better Wink

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 9:25 Quote
gravity808 wrote:
ArchieDH wrote:
Sometimes i get pretty excited to ride my bike lol, checkout a run from the Pleney on board my patrol! Tempted to maybe get a coil for this year? Currently running a Float X2 air can! How does it ride with a coil?

Awesome! Love your vids Archie, so stoked for the snow to melt on bc mountains...

Thanks for the support man!

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 13:56 Quote
Hi everyone,

I've ordered a medium frame last friday. I'm 5' 9" and 32.5 inch inseam.

Do you think that a 150mm seatpost will be OK? The maximum insertion is 170mm, I guess I'm just at the limit...

Thanks.

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 13:59 Quote
Just took my medium patrol for first real ride. Im 5'10 32" inseem. 125mm was fine for me. Size is perfect. You can really whip it around.

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 18:11 Quote
gravity808 wrote:
Was thinking of going to a Stans mk3 flow / hope pro4 or dt swiss 350 hubs. Also potentially giving Schwalbe tires a go as well. All in Id probably be around the $1000-$1200 cad range for wheels/tires/tubeless + time before I sold my current wheels.

I'm using that exact wheelset on my patrol right now and I'm in to it far less than that, even taking the Canadian dollar into account.

Just over 200 bucks for two flow mk3 rims, about the same for both hubs and 275 for the shop to build them up

Had my first ride on my '17 patrol on Sat... Wow this thing is fast. Probably not the best time of the year for a semi slick on the rear lol.! Might need to find some sintered pads for the MT7's for a little more bite. The suspension on my last bike was pretty clapped out so not totally sure about what I need to do to get the most out of the Super Deluxe and the DVO Diamond up front

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 1:22 Quote
Got to sit on a large carbon and a medium ali at the weekend and i'm definitely a medium but can see why some go for a large, it's almost doable for me at 5' 8". I might hire it out for the day to see how i get on.

Should hopefully be putting an order in for a Patrol 4 with wheel upgrade soon. Just need a few more things to swap out.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020294
Mobile Version of Website