Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 at 16:58 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
I tried to search this thread but pinkbikes search function isnt great. Anybody have a "normal" offset fork on a newer SBG bike?

I have a 46mm offset 140mm pike with Luftkappe on my current bike and want to switch to a '18 Smuggler. I hope to migrate my mostly custom parts to a frame but these new shorter offset forks complicate things.

Would steering/control be compromised? Or what is the real disadvantage? I emailed transition more than a week ago and haven't heard back. Any help appreciated!

You’ll be fine, that’s 2mm more offset than my 36. And if you’ve never ridden the reduced offset, there’s nothing to compare to. Ignorance is bliss, brotha

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 at 22:33 Quote
chunter wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
I tried to search this thread but pinkbikes search function isnt great. Anybody have a "normal" offset fork on a newer SBG bike?

I have a 46mm offset 140mm pike with Luftkappe on my current bike and want to switch to a '18 Smuggler. I hope to migrate my mostly custom parts to a frame but these new shorter offset forks complicate things.

Would steering/control be compromised? Or what is the real disadvantage? I emailed transition more than a week ago and haven't heard back. Any help appreciated!

You’ll be fine, that’s 2mm more offset than my 36. And if you’ve never ridden the reduced offset, there’s nothing to compare to. Ignorance is bliss, brotha

That's the thing. I demo'd the smuggler with thr full sbg treatment. Bike was awesome and I really liked it compared to everything else I've demo'd. Couldn't really say I could notice the difference but the bike felt balanced. Unsure if 2mm would really make a noticeable difference or not.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 0:20 Quote
Here in NZ we don’t have a choice. You have to buy frame and fork or complete bike. No frame only option. I think that may be world wide but I could be wrong.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 0:30 Quote
Can get frame only in the uk.

As for the fork offset issue, if you run what you've got and don't like it you could always just order a new top assembly (crown steerer and stanctions). Rshox go for £200 where I am so it's not a ridiculous option...

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 6:32 Quote
In the pinkbike sentinel review they tested with and without the offset fork. Both worked great but the reduced offset provided a better ride.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 7:39 Quote
EKrum wrote:
In the pinkbike sentinel review they tested with and without the offset fork. Both worked great but the reduced offset provided a better ride.

I forgot about that! Thanks I'll read that article again.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 7:41 Quote
aminal wrote:
Here in NZ we don’t have a choice. You have to buy frame and fork or complete bike. No frame only option. I think that may be world wide but I could be wrong.

You can get just a frame in north America. But here in Canada we can't order direct from transition. Have to find a dealer who would bring just a frame in. Over the last year or so I've changed a lot on my current trail bike and I don't want to downgrade a number of parts and spend more money on one of their complete builds.

Anyways. Just in the research process, I'm in no rush. Thanks for the info everyone!

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 11:45 Quote
corollafreak wrote:
I've been quite paranoid for some time now about bearing issues on the patrol. How frequent should I get the bearings replaced or greased? The frame is about a year and a half old.

I have an original Patrol ('15), the frame has just had its second set of new bearings, this is only because the frame was stripped for a new paint job. The original bearings were very poor and lasted about a year, the second set were in the frame 2 years and they are still in good health. I always replace with a mix of stainless and hybrid ceramic, this seems to have been a good policy in my opinion.
All of the bearing sizes are on the service page in the archive exploded view of the frame on the TR website.
I shopped around and got all if the bearings that I previously mentioned for just £32.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 22:50 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
corollafreak wrote:
I've been quite paranoid for some time now about bearing issues on the patrol. How frequent should I get the bearings replaced or greased? The frame is about a year and a half old.

I have an original Patrol ('15), the frame has just had its second set of new bearings, this is only because the frame was stripped for a new paint job. The original bearings were very poor and lasted about a year, the second set were in the frame 2 years and they are still in good health. I always replace with a mix of stainless and hybrid ceramic, this seems to have been a good policy in my opinion.
All of the bearing sizes are on the service page in the archive exploded view of the frame on the TR website.
I shopped around and got all if the bearings that I previously mentioned for just £32.

Mine lasted just about a year, but I ride right through the winter and did a big trip through Italy in the summer. I would hope for longer from the enduro bearings I've replaced, but we will see....

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 23:13 Quote
Ok. I should change my bearings I guess. Any signs I should watch out for when it is time to replace the bearings?

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 23:52 Quote
corollafreak wrote:
Ok. I should change my bearings I guess. Any signs I should watch out for when it is time to replace the bearings?

To start with, remove one end of your shock and see if everything moves smooth and check for sideway play.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 23:54 Quote
corollafreak wrote:

Grab the bike by its seat tube and gently lift it, if you feel some play then a bearing has gone. sticking your fingers between the linkage by each bearing can help you to locate which one.

Or, put the bike on a stand, take the rear wheel and shock off and cycle the linkage by hand, if it's really rough, creaky or you feel some play then it's time for new bearings.

You may as well get them all done at once, it'll save you money in the long run.

Cheers,

Mat.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 0:54 Quote
Matwilliams........that’s s good way to see if and what bearings need replacing BUT how will it save you in the long run by replacing bearings that don’t need replacing and could last the another year or 2 ?

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 1:30 Quote
If you replace most of them but leave some that are just the good side of knackered, then it's possible those ones will die quickly and cause extra loading and potential premature failure of all/some of the others. Plus if you've got the whole bike apart you might as well replace the whole lot.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 1:38 Quote
Scottwhatever802 wrote:
I wanted to paint my frame the orange from 2015 patrol. Anyone happen to know a paint code for that color by any chance?

Check the Ford Focus st orange code.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013468
Mobile Version of Website