Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: May 21, 2018 at 8:59 Quote
MHE1993 wrote:
How do the Sentinel and Scout perform as all-rounders? Recently rode an SB5.5 and felt that I could use that even on the steeper, technical climbs all day and am looking at a Sentinel.

Never owned a 29er so thats why I'm also looking at the Scout. Just don;t know if the 130mm rear is enough and the Patrol is probably too much.

I suppose it comes down to what kind of trails you will spend the majority of your time on. I can’t comment on the smuggler as I haven’t ridden one but I’ve recently picked up a sentinel and have spent a bit of time on it. I’ll be honest, it’s a bloody animal! It climbs admirably given its intentions and it will certainly do big days out in the hills, however, in my opinion it does not like flowy trail centre stuff, don’t get me wrong it’ll do it but it just feels like overkill for that sort of riding. I’m lucky enough to live within an hours drive of some fantastic rough steep nasty trails(including former ews stuff) and this is where the sentinel really comes alive, it just wants to go flat out all the time. If that’s the sort of trails you ride then definitely get one, if it’s more mellow stuff I’d probably look elsewhere.

Posted: May 21, 2018 at 9:32 Quote
I am considering both a Sentinel & a Patrol but I am not sure that I can handle a such slack bikes. I have tried both a Reign & a Rune with 65 head angle and i find them to be too much for general trail riding especially when it comes to turning.

O+
Posted: May 21, 2018 at 9:35 Quote
My be worth considering a Scout or a Smuggler, then.

Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:53 Quote
How capable is the SBG Scout? 130mm of rear travel is less than I've ever ridden.

How aggressive of terrain can this thing handle?

Posted: May 21, 2018 at 11:12 Quote
https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Scout.cfm

Going by the video, pretty capable!

Posted: May 21, 2018 at 11:34 Quote
I'm fortunate enough to own both albeit not the latest models.

If you live near proper big mountains and constantly ride the steeps and rough sections at speed get the Patrol.
If you are after a bike that is engaging and begs to be ridden hard even on "mellow" trails get the Scout. This bike is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
Don't look at the travel numbers when looking at these bikes as they both ride way beyond what the travel suggests.

Posted: May 21, 2018 at 12:19 Quote
missionS wrote:

If you live near proper big mountains and constantly ride the steeps and rough sections at speed get the Patrol.
If you are after a bike that is engaging and begs to be ridden hard even on "mellow" trails get the Scout. This bike is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
Don't look at the travel numbers when looking at these bikes as they both ride way beyond what the travel suggests.

Amen !

Posted: May 21, 2018 at 12:36 Quote
missionS wrote:

Nice! Thanks for the suggestions. Super helpful.

Posted: May 21, 2018 at 14:07 Quote
ikickbadgers wrote:
https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Scout.cfm

Going by the video, pretty capable!

Going by this video, we don't need tyres....

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/matt-jones-riding-downhill-without-tyres

Posted: May 22, 2018 at 13:26 Quote
Oh yeah here is my Smuggler

photo

Posted: May 22, 2018 at 13:50 Quote
howsyourdad wrote:

photo

Great looking bike! tup
And the first time I've seen a Smuggler with a coil shock!
I take it you are enjoying the bike? Big Grin

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 4:03 Quote
cheers yeah i love it. felt so comfortable on it right from the begining and i love that its shorter travel. 150mm fox 36 lets me get away with alot!

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 5:43 Quote
howsyourdad wrote:

photo

That thing looks sick. You put a 150mm fork on it? Did you do some kind of custom paint job on that? The logos looks sweet.

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 7:28 Quote
ta yeah Transition said alot of the guys there use a 150 fork but wouldnt go any higher. chrome decals from slik graphics and a little bit of ablack sharpie!

O+
Posted: May 23, 2018 at 11:01 Quote
So I just got started trying to service the pivots on my 2017 carbon patrol. They all are a little grindy but the main pivot above the BB has three very distinct stages when you move through its travel. I'm guessing that means its time for new bearings. Any good youtube clips that show the process of removing a stuck pivot hardware?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012511
Mobile Version of Website