Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Sep 1, 2018 at 23:34 Quote
Old news but what are people's thoughts running a set of 170mm Lyriks on a '16 Patrol?

Posted: Sep 2, 2018 at 1:11 Quote
veero wrote:
Old news but what are people's thoughts running a set of 170mm Lyriks on a '16 Patrol?

Crack on, I had 180s on mine for quite a while, was fine.

Posted: Sep 2, 2018 at 4:06 Quote
veero wrote:

I moved from a 160mm Pike to 170mm Lyrik on my 2017 Patrol. I prefer it now, mostly riding steep & rough natural trails.

170mm fork at 65 degree head angle means 155mm vertical travel by the way, ie. same as the Patrol's rear travel. Wink

Posted: Sep 2, 2018 at 5:33 Quote
Cool cheers dudes!

Posted: Sep 2, 2018 at 10:24 Quote
Lornholio wrote:
veero wrote:

I moved from a 160mm Pike to 170mm Lyrik on my 2017 Patrol. I prefer it now, mostly riding steep & rough natural trails.

170mm fork at 65 degree head angle means 155mm vertical travel by the way, ie. same as the Patrol's rear travel. Wink
True however , that only figures when you are keeping the bike horizontal to the ground ! Rarely happens to me and when the front dives into a rock or root you get 170mm not 155mm !

Posted: Sep 2, 2018 at 18:13 Quote
Is anyone using the 2.5 aggressor on the rear of a 2018 Patrol?

I'm thinking about changing tires on my bike, but don't want to risk buying a tire that doesn't fit my bike...

Posted: Sep 2, 2018 at 18:47 Quote
RNeves wrote:
Is anyone using the 2.5 aggressor on the rear of a 2018 Patrol?

I'm thinking about changing tires on my bike, but don't want to risk buying a tire that doesn't fit my bike...
used to run one can confirm it does fit.

Posted: Sep 3, 2018 at 0:53 Quote
Hey, folks, I have a simple question: alloy or carbon? :-)

I'm serious: even though most transition bikes are available (or at least orderable) in carbon and alloy I see a lot of people are still going for alloy. I'm just curious if this is only because of the budget? maybe they don't trust carbon, don't like the stiffness, the look, the... ? Some say the would rather spend the saved bucks in carbon wheels etc.

What were your reasons pro carbon or alloy? How would you decide now and why so?

thanks very much!

Posted: Sep 3, 2018 at 1:36 Quote
Alloy is cheaper, the price jump up to carbon is steeper than the hills I ride...

Posted: Sep 3, 2018 at 2:20 Quote
clemsi wrote:
Hey, folks, I have a simple question: alloy or carbon? :-)

I'm serious: even though most transition bikes are available (or at least orderable) in carbon and alloy I see a lot of people are still going for alloy. I'm just curious if this is only because of the budget? maybe they don't trust carbon, don't like the stiffness, the look, the... ? Some say the would rather spend the saved bucks in carbon wheels etc.

What were your reasons pro carbon or alloy? How would you decide now and why so?

thanks very much!

Until i can ride like Richie Rude and justify a carbon price tag, i'm on an alloy frame. My alloy Patrol is way better than my ability.

What Bromaphobe said...

Posted: Sep 3, 2018 at 3:10 Quote
I went for a 16 carbon frame and whilst I agree, £1000 difference was a lot of money, at the time I had planned on getting the ally frame, but seeing a carbon one in the flesh I decided to go for it. I just whacked the difference on 0% for 12 months. I love getting my bike out the garage and looking at it and going, pwoar that looks ace. If it was an ally one (the 16 colours weren’t great) then I possibly wouldn’t have that reaction. I have ridden it fairly hard but it being carbon I certainly have taken more care of it than if it was an ally one.

However, the quality of a large proportion of the earlier 16 carbon frame left a lot to be desired. I won’t go into it now, but the long and the short was they warrantied exchanged my frame for a brand new one after a lot of hassling.

I haven't spent any time on an ally, but the carbon frame feels plenty stiff. Yeah maybe with hidsight some carbon whels would have been a better investment, but I still love my Patrol as it is.

Would I go for another carbon one? Head says no because of the issues, the minimal performance gain and cost differential. Heart might well try to if the colours on the newer carbons were better. Also if the wife got wind of going for another carbon I might have some answering to do!

In summary, is it really worth it? Probably not unless like someone said above you’re a top flight racer. Can you personally justify and afford the extra cost? If yes then why not.

Posted: Sep 3, 2018 at 3:48 Quote
Thank you for your responses - really appreciate it.
Allmost everyone I know here and I'm riding with is on a carbon - not Transition, but Trek Slash, Scott Genius, SC Nomad and Bronson, YT etc. - seems so normal here.

I know that some bikes are/were only available in carbon and I'm sure that a lot of my friends haven't even thought about that question but went straight for a carbon bike. I guess for a lot of people carbon is simply the next logical step / progression after beeing on a alloy for years.

Currently I'm on a 2016 alloy Patrol and I'm thinking about the new SBG one, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to add more weight to the bike when going for the new alloy frame.
I just wanted to hear your opinion on that topic in general; there are also still people who went back from carbon to alloy, which is also interesting.

Posted: Sep 3, 2018 at 12:33 Quote
Carbons pretty and all but I think it’s just a flashy thing for us mere mortals. All my carbon frames so far have basically become worthless after 18 months due to “signs of fatigue”. I had a carbon Norco Range. Absolutely great bike but it started getting a few small cracks here and there. Now these cracks weren’t in the carbon but the stuff they put over the carbon to flatten out the corners and finish them so the frame is smooth and uniform. This is all well and good but you try selling a frame that has cracks on it that aren’t cracks. Spoiler alert! NO ONE WANTS TO BUY IT! End of the story back on an aluminium 2018 Patrol and it’s awesome and if I find a crack I know it’s done! I can’t really compare the two bikes as the Range was a 2015 so it’s not comparing apples with apples but the Patrol is better in every way. Would I buy a carbon one? Shit yes it’s pretty and flashy and makes ya friends jealous but that’s pretty much it.

Posted: Sep 3, 2018 at 13:06 Quote
I got a alloy 2018 patrol. Came from a carbon Spartan. Beyond the fact that Carbon wasn't available, my reasons were:

I don't charge hard enough, especially since I'm fairly small, for any frame to really have flex issues.

Geometry trumps weight for climbing, at least that was my theory. Patrol is about 4lbs heavier than the Spartan, but it climbs way better. So, for me, that bears out.

When the guy from Pole wrote about waste from carbon frame manufacturing being dumped in the ocean, I can't help but notice that no other brands came back and said it wasn't true for their bikes, which speaks to it being likely accurate. Beyond that, carbon, at least right now, is almost completely unrecyclable, while aluminum costs 5% the energy to recycle as it did to initially produce it. While I don't hold an illusion that my riding is environmentally positive, I do feel that aluminum frame does less harm than carbon, at least currently.

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 8:35 Quote
I'm waiting on a 2019 carbon Patrol now. In many ways I'd prefer alloy - durability, cost, etc - but I went for carbon in this case because the weight savings is pretty massive on the SBG frames.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012918
Mobile Version of Website