Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 9:49 Quote
Video from my weekend ride of two Scottish munro's (over 3000ft summits) This was an awesome decent. Well worth the 3 hour drive and 5 hour ride to the top of the second peak.

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 10:11 Quote
Anyone know if there are any offset headset cups that fit the og patrol? I'm running a 50mm stem slammed as far as it'll go with a 40mm rise bar rolled forward considerably.

I definitely don't want to move my bars forward anymore in relation to my front axle, but I would kill for a little more reach.

I'm riding an L frame and I have an XL in the garage that I've spent some time on. At 5'11" I definitely feel most comfortable somewhere between the two sizes, 2018 geo for a size L looks perfect honestly, I'm just so close with my 2015 Large that idk if it would be worth the investment.

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 23:51 Quote
skerby wrote:
Anyone know if there are any offset headset cups that fit the og patrol? I'm running a 50mm stem slammed as far as it'll go with a 40mm rise bar rolled forward considerably.

I definitely don't want to move my bars forward anymore in relation to my front axle, but I would kill for a little more reach.

I'm riding an L frame and I have an XL in the garage that I've spent some time on. At 5'11" I definitely feel most comfortable somewhere between the two sizes, 2018 geo for a size L looks perfect honestly, I'm just so close with my 2015 Large that idk if it would be worth the investment.

You've already spent some time on a non SBG XL Patrol frame? With a shorter stem?

By how much you can stretch the reach with that offset headset? 5-8mm?
I'm almost 6'1 on a large 2016 Patrol, started with a 40mm stem (which I already had), changed to 50mm with a 20mm riser. I would never roll the bar forward since this results usually in a weard steering experience- doesn't it?

Think about that info on TRs website:
bigquotesOur new SBG Geometry is best optimized with a 40mm so it is best to think of what size you should get based on that stem length instead of the idea of sizing down and going with a longer stem or sizing up and going with a shorter stem.

If you think that the new SBG geo will help, here's what I got from Sam regarding this topic:
bigquotesIf the LG felt short for you, the new one will still feel short. The longer reach is part of the SBG setup and sizing...

Dunno if that helps you ...

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 2:00 Quote
skerby wrote:

Works Components do one that will fit but it's an external bottom cup so your front end will be raised about 10mm and your current fork steerer will probably be too short.

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 8:03 Quote
poah wrote:
This was a decent descent. 5 hour ride to the top of the second peak though Eek .

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 8:34 Quote
Sentinel riders what sizes and heights are you on?
I’m a little confused:
On a large 2016 patrol with 40mm stem plus an Angleset.

Occasionally I feel like I could ride a shorter bike, most times when the goings faster it’s feels good.

I’m 5,9 which means I could go either way
according to the size charts. Really confusing I know it’s a package but just think a 175mm reach would be massive!

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 9:20 Quote
Lfcrik wrote:

I think they say whatever size you were on before just stick with that..
I'm 5.10 and a bit lol and I'm on a large with 40mm stem, feels perfect.

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 9:40 Quote
Lornholio wrote:
skerby wrote:

Works Components do one that will fit but it's an external bottom cup so your front end will be raised about 10mm and your current fork steerer will probably be too short.

This is what I was looking for, thank you.

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 10:09 Quote
Lfcrik wrote:
I’m a little confused:

Occasionally I feel like I could ride a shorter bike, most times when the goings faster it’s feels good.

according to the size charts. Really confusing I know it’s a package but just think a 175mm reach would be massive!

Exact same height and on a medium Sentinel. It feels great, but I sat on a large last weekend at the local shop and it felt even better. Want to demo it on the trails and she how she goes. You really want to be centered on the bike with the geo and more forward, than rearward if anything.

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 21:36 Quote
I am 1.83 on a XL Sentinel but I am coming from a L Mondraker that has the same reach numbers so I am used to longer bikes.

Posted: Sep 7, 2018 at 1:18 Quote
I'm only 5'7 and on a medium with a 45mm stem. If I were any taller I'd want to be on the large.

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2018 at 8:52 Quote
Lfcrik wrote:
I’m a little confused:

I'm 5'9" and rode both the Sentinel and Patrol in MD (and bought a MD Patrol) and it felt like the right size. I never rode either in the LG, but I did ride a MD Mondraker (which has similar reach figures to a LG Transition) and it felt way too big.

Posted: Sep 7, 2018 at 11:13 Quote
I'm not sure just looking at reach is the best way to look at a bike properly these days for size, Test rode a large whyte g150 before buying a large sentinel and both bikes pretty much have the exact same reach numbers but the whyte felt massive(i would have 100% bought a medium) and the tranny felt perfect. You've got to add seat angle into the mix as that was the biggest difference from what i can remember...

Because of the steeper seat angles on the modern bikes they don't seem to feel as long as a chart would make you believe, Thats my way of looking at it anyway.

Posted: Sep 7, 2018 at 11:38 Quote
Seat angle only affects seated position. Reach affects attacking position.

Posted: Sep 7, 2018 at 11:50 Quote
unfortunately i spend 90% of my time seated winching myself up hills lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013175
Mobile Version of Website