Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Author Message
Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 13:33 Quote
Sounds like no one thinks sbg is really much better, just different

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 14:08 Quote
Scottwhatever802 wrote:
Sounds like no one thinks sbg is really much better, just different

Compared to my last bike, SBG is a huge improvement in my opinion. I mainly notice the steeper seat angle, though. I can't really say the reduced fork offset was that noticeable. My previous bike had a 46mm offset on the 29 fork (which I didn't even know about until SBG was announced), so the 2mm difference is basically nothing. I haven't ridden a 51mm offset 29er since 2016. I climb faster and with a little less effort, and if I really pin it uphill I'm taking significant time off my strava times. Shortened stems are actually worse for me (I'm super tall), so I swapped my smuggler to a 50mm stem instead of the stock 40mm. So overall, SBG is an improvement but I wouldn't say it is revolutionary for me. The steep seat tube angle is my favorite part, but that was already being done before SBG was introduced.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 15:41 Quote
Bromaphobe wrote:

Yes that was before heating the shrink wrap
Those are some old Chromag bars...

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 18:00 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
Scottwhatever802 wrote:
Sounds like no one thinks sbg is really much better, just different

Compared to my last bike, SBG is a huge improvement in my opinion. I mainly notice the steeper seat angle, though. I can't really say the reduced fork offset was that noticeable. My previous bike had a 46mm offset on the 29 fork (which I didn't even know about until SBG was announced), so the 2mm difference is basically nothing. I haven't ridden a 51mm offset 29er since 2016. I climb faster and with a little less effort, and if I really pin it uphill I'm taking significant time off my strava times. Shortened stems are actually worse for me (I'm super tall), so I swapped my smuggler to a 50mm stem instead of the stock 40mm. So overall, SBG is an improvement but I wouldn't say it is revolutionary for me. The steep seat tube angle is my favorite part, but that was already being done before SBG was introduced.

Likewise. Night and day for me. Literally can't see buying another brand of bike, even though they don't make the steel hardtail I want. And a "super tall" person running a 50mm stem is short, if most of the tall people I know are any indication.

Edit: and I'm still running a longer offset fork. So yes, I think it's mostly the Geo, a little bit the fork. All I'm expecting from finally getting the shorter offset is a little less wheel flop.

Posted: Nov 22, 2018 at 10:11 Quote
What size are you guys riding? I'm 177cm and leaning towards the large. I'm on a bike with 450mm reach now and want something bigger, would it feel like a barge or would it be fine? Medium is not and option since it's the same reach I have now and then I will look for another bike

Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 12:42 Quote
Boom!

Just pulled the trigger on some 19 Lyriks for my 16 Patrol Carbon thanks to you guys on here Big Grin

The wife's gonna go mental when a big feck off box with 'Chain Reaction Cycles' plastered all over it turns up.

Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 12:49 Quote
Chj wrote:
What size are you guys riding? I'm 177cm and leaning towards the large. I'm on a bike with 450mm reach now and want something bigger, would it feel like a barge or would it be fine? Medium is not and option since it's the same reach I have now and then I will look for another bike

I'm 172 on a medium, which is about 40mm longer in reach than my last bike, and it feels like anything but a barge. Their sizing is true to size, if they say large, go large.

Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 13:07 Quote
groghunter wrote:
Chj wrote:
What size are you guys riding? I'm 177cm and leaning towards the large. I'm on a bike with 450mm reach now and want something bigger, would it feel like a barge or would it be fine? Medium is not and option since it's the same reach I have now and then I will look for another bike

I'm 172 on a medium, which is about 40mm longer in reach than my last bike, and it feels like anything but a barge. Their sizing is true to size, if they say large, go large.

Large it is, orderd a frame set to have something to do during the winter. Looking for a fork but it's kinda slim picking on the shorter off set market.

Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 23:48 Quote
Chj wrote:
groghunter wrote:
Chj wrote:
What size are you guys riding? I'm 177cm and leaning towards the large. I'm on a bike with 450mm reach now and want something bigger, would it feel like a barge or would it be fine? Medium is not and option since it's the same reach I have now and then I will look for another bike

I'm 172 on a medium, which is about 40mm longer in reach than my last bike, and it feels like anything but a barge. Their sizing is true to size, if they say large, go large.

Large it is, orderd a frame set to have something to do during the winter. Looking for a fork but it's kinda slim picking on the shorter off set market.

MRP do a reduced offset fork

Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 23:50 Quote
I’ve only just noticed than my bike is spec’d with a 170mm 46mm offset fork, I’m running a 170mm 42mm, accidentally ghetto sbg’d my spartan

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 6:21 Quote
^ Nice, it'll be cool to see how older frames ride with these forks as more of them start floating around.

My XL gen1 patrol is borderline too big for me, I would run reduced offset in a heartbeat. Fox needs to start marketing CSUs.

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 9:30 Quote
veero wrote:
Boom!

Just pulled the trigger on some 19 Lyriks for my 16 Patrol Carbon thanks to you guys on here Big Grin

The wife's gonna go mental when a big feck off box with 'Chain Reaction Cycles' plastered all over it turns up.
You should Click n Collect it, I get my CRC stuff sent to the local petrol station

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 11:32 Quote
skerby wrote:
^ Nice, it'll be cool to see how older frames ride with these forks as more of them start floating around.

My XL gen1 patrol is borderline too big for me, I would run reduced offset in a heartbeat. Fox needs to start marketing CSUs.

My guess would be that it won't make a huge difference unless your HA is steep. my current fork is a 42, compared with the 44 or 46 that a normal 27.5 fork is, and 37mm for reduced. it has been on my spartan, as well as my patrol, and while I noticed a little less flop, it wasn't a huge difference. Put it on a steep HA bike though, and you'll have a really small trail measurement. that would be less than fun.

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 12:10 Quote
My Carbon Patrol '17 is starting to crack on the BB, any another people with that issue?

I started a warranty claim a month and a half ago, still waiting the replacement part that Transition promised...
The frame came with bearings totally sticked, replaced them but same problem until installing a set of Enduro Beargins. After a year and 8 months of use, cracked front triangle with no abuse!

Totally disappointed with Transition after four frames in 11 years….was not expecting this kind of warranty service.
Any other people with cracked carbon frames? How do you solved warranty? Thanks!

Transition Patrol Carbon 17 cracked BB

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 13:00 Quote
That problem is new to me. Transition replaced my cracked seat stay real quick. It seems that the V1 patrols break pretty often. I wonder if its crappy manufacturing (hopefully solved for the SBG bikes) or if its actually the fact that these bike rode WAY above what Tranny thought they would be put through. My last bike (spec enduro) never had any problems, but I know that my patrol was ridden WAY harder then the enduro ever was because it was so easy to get really rowdy.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025412
Mobile Version of Website