Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Dec 21, 2018 at 14:54 Quote
clemsi wrote:
jlf1200 wrote:
... because of the reverse mullet approach to travel and geo. ....

what exactly do you mean with "reverse mullet approach" - I'm not familiar with this phrase Very confused

Short in back, long in front. It's an american thing for sure, we have the best hair.

Posted: Dec 21, 2018 at 14:57 Quote
skerby wrote:
clemsi wrote:
jlf1200 wrote:
... because of the reverse mullet approach to travel and geo. ....

what exactly do you mean with "reverse mullet approach" - I'm not familiar with this phrase Very confused

Short in back, long in front. It's an american thing for sure, we have the best hair.

A mullet is said to be "all business up front, party out back." Transitions are all party up front, business in the back.

Posted: Dec 21, 2018 at 14:59 Quote
groghunter wrote:
You're not just increasing volume, you're also changing the ratio of the positive and negative spring size. A large negative spring, and a smaller positive one, can have the effect of making the first third of the travel too easy to move through, causing a mushy feeling at sag. Spacers don't just change end stroke behavior, they affect the entire spring curve.

Thanks for the explanation, I never considered that! Now I'm definitely gonna try a smaller spacer...

Posted: Dec 21, 2018 at 15:10 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
Good to hear, do you run your sag similar to what to m you run/ran in the air shock? I'm curious if it's progressive enough for that or if it needs to be ran just a touch firmer.

I ran 35% seated sag on my Super Deluxe Air with 3.5 tokens. About 30-32% with the Coil. Occasionally feel it bottom out but not too hard. 80kg plus backpack with a 375lb spring.

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2018 at 15:30 Quote
Lornholio wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
Good to hear, do you run your sag similar to what to m you run/ran in the air shock? I'm curious if it's progressive enough for that or if it needs to be ran just a touch firmer.

I ran 35% seated sag on my Super Deluxe Air with 3.5 tokens. About 30-32% with the Coil. Occasionally feel it bottom out but not too hard. 80kg plus backpack with a 375lb spring.

Thanks for the info, that's about what I was thinking sag wise.

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2018 at 19:49 Quote
airtym wrote:
nealy578 wrote:
jlf1200 wrote:

What's the story behind that off-spec shock? My experience has been that these bikes are picky about shock tuning.

Not doubting your experience, but it seems a bit dramatic to write off the entire company's product line because you don't like the way their 34lb park-bro monster truck pedals uphill. Most editorial reviews have noted the Patrol has much more return and pedals better than "enduro" bikes like the Capra.

The Jeffsy has a 2-3 degree steeper head angle, much more traditional geo, etc. Not really comparable. Maybe you just bought the wrong bike for what you want?

I believe the base model patrol comes spec’d with a Rockshox Deluxe rather than the Fox shock

The shock on the bike is stock; Rockshox Deluxe RT. It was already full of tokens too so nothing gonna happen there. I totally agree on your two points. Different tires and a better shock are in order. By doing that I put myself in the price range of the Capra alloy Comp with a lesser parts group. I am being a little dramatic because I’m disappointed and to @nealy578 comment I may have bought the wrong bike as well. Which wouldn’t be the bikes fault, bike parks are all closed and that leaves me with pedaling till Spring.

I have a 17 alloy patrol and rode the 18 patrol with dpx2 and the thing pedaled awesome very firm and powerful. Might be your settings or the lower spec shock

Posted: Dec 22, 2018 at 18:55 Quote
jlf1200 wrote:
groghunter wrote:
You're not just increasing volume, you're also changing the ratio of the positive and negative spring size. A large negative spring, and a smaller positive one, can have the effect of making the first third of the travel too easy to move through, causing a mushy feeling at sag. Spacers don't just change end stroke behavior, they affect the entire spring curve.

Thanks for the explanation, I never considered that! Now I'm definitely gonna try a smaller spacer...

To be fair, it's a very simplified explanation (before anybody else with suspension knowledge calls me out) but it gets the point across. DVO actually lets you put spacers in either spring for tuning purposes on the topaz. Which is cool, but also unlikely to be needed except in edge cases. Negative springs are small enough that you need to be concerned not just with their ratio to the positive spring, but their absolute volume.

Posted: Dec 26, 2018 at 18:37 Quote
My sentinel carbon might be cracked Frown middle of down tube right side to bottom. No difference in sound when tapping the area which is good. Had it shipped out and this is what I see when I take it out. Will upload pics soon.

Anyone ever crack their transition carbon frames? What the warranty is like?

Posted: Dec 26, 2018 at 22:34 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
My sentinel carbon might be cracked Frown middle of down tube right side to bottom. No difference in sound when tapping the area which is good. Had it shipped out and this is what I see when I take it out. Will upload pics soon.

I found cracks in various places on my carbon patrol, they sent a new frame through ok. But now my warranty is up I don't look!!! Lol

Posted: Dec 27, 2018 at 7:50 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:

I found cracks in various places on my carbon patrol, they sent a new frame through ok. But now my warranty is up I don't look!!! Lol
You destroy everything you get your hands on !!

Posted: Dec 27, 2018 at 9:27 Quote
pigman65 wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:

That sounds like a bit of 'Pot & Kettle' to me! lol

Posted: Dec 27, 2018 at 13:20 Quote
pigman65 wrote:
Eek

How many frames have you broken? Big Grin

Posted: Dec 28, 2018 at 7:43 Quote
pigman65 wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:

True..... ha ha. My new plan is not to look too hard. I can't afford another frame just yet!

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 3:27 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:

I've just come here looking if anyone has experienced issues with the latest carbon Transitions.

I've got a 2019 carbon Patrol, had it 2 months and just spotted 2 cracks on the chainstay. One on the non-drive side is at least 20mm long, and the one on the drive-side about 8mm long.

Sad days, but hopefully their warranty process is as easy as they make out on the site. Just need to dig out my proof-of-purchase!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013266
Mobile Version of Website