Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 3:00 Quote
I think the DPX2 is great. Set sag never blew through the travel. IMO save your money.

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 4:48 Quote
I swapped an x2 on my 2017 patrol. It's an awesome shock. I havent gotten any big mountain days on it yet since everything is buried in snow here in colorado right now. The tunability is amazing on them.

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 11:43 Quote
Anyone put a shorter (32mm) stem on their SBG bikes? Ive only got a few rides in on my sentinel but it feels more difficult to get the front wheel off the ground than my V1 Patrol and I think a slightly shorter reach may help. I don't want to screw up the handling cause everything else feels pretty good. It could just be from a heavier front wheel and more rides may address this. For reference I was on a L patrol and am now on a size L sentinel.

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 15:28 Quote
That's a characteristic of the SBG concept. You're seated a bit more forward, due to the steeper seat angle, and the slacker head angle places the wheel a bit further to the front too. Making the weight move forward and away from the rear axle.

A friend of mine tried my 2018 Patrol and he almost couldn't lift the front wheel from the ground at the first try. I tried his Specialized Enduro at the same time and felt amazed by how easy it was to lift the front wheel of the ground.

This is why the latest Transition bikes are so comfortable to climb on, and if you didn't have such a forward biased position, I doubt you could have any control over the front wheel with 64 degrees of HA.

About the shorter stem, Mondraker used very short stems a few years back and they abandoned that concept to a degree, because they came to the conclusion that when using a stem that is shorter than the fork offset, the bike starts to have a strange handling.

Never tried it myself though.

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 21:14 Quote

Here’s my Sentinel. It’s not carbon in case you couldn’t tell...

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 0:15 Quote
I'll stick to DPX2 i believe, give it a run, get some spacers in case i need to do some tunning.
@ZSW That's gorgeous !!!

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 3:53 Quote
I’m running a Spank spike 31.8 x 35 stem on my 2018 Patrol, I’ve come from Mondraker so I’m used to a short stem. It feels normal to me however the fork sometimes feels like it’s go No to ‘collapse’ under me on very slow technical steeps.

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 5:21 Quote
I know this will have been done but can’t find much scrolling back.

Coil on a 2019 Patrol- yes or no?

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
I just stripped down the rear triangle of my 2017 Transition Carbon Patrol. One of the main pivot bearings seems to be seized, and the other is a bit crunchy. Don't have a bearing tool, they are still in the frame. I plan to take it to a LBS to pull and possibly replace with Enduro bearings. Before I took it apart, the linkage felt perfectly smooth without the shock? The other bearings seem like all they need is a cleaning and repack. Is it worth buying all new Enduro bearings, or just two for the main pivot?

Bike has a Super Deluxe RC3 with factory installed volume reducers (believe there were 2). Just had this rebuilt by Avalanche for next season. Put an Avalanche damper in my Lyrik last year, and I'm mostly happy with it.
I weigh 155-165lbs. and consistently use all travel, though never harsh bottom out.

I ride 70% Park (60% freeride, 40% Downhill) and 30% Trail. Probably have around 80 hours on bike, and have serviced the suspension at the proper intervals. My ability is Sport (more skilled than average weekend warrior). Just below Expert (ride diamonds fast, but not the fastest on trail).

I noticed a bit of wear on the rocker stay where the Seatstay Pivot axle is inserted. Opposite the chain ring side, the bearing spacer is digging into the carbon and gauging a small groove. The bearing here seems like it is seated correctly, and it spins smoothly. Wear is minor, but I am worried that it could get worse. Is this a warranty issue?

On the drivetrain side of the rocker stay there is wear on the top inside of the area the seat stay pivot axle screws into. I think it is from the chain popping off and ribbing here? Is this common?

I also noticed a bit of wear on the rocker stay at the Seatstay Pivot axle is inserted. Opposite the chain ring side the bearing spacer is digging into the carbon and gauging a small groove. The bearing here seems like it is seated correctly and it spins smoothly. Wear is minor but I am worried that it could get worse. Is this a warranty issue
I also noticed a bit of wear on the rocker stay at the Seatstay Pivot axle is inserted. Opposite the chain ring side, the bearing spacer is digging into the carbon and gauging a small groove. The bearing here seems like it is seated correctly, and it spins smoothly. Wear is minor, but I am worried that it could get worse. Is this a warranty issue?

On the drivetrain side of the rocker stay there is wear on the top inside of the area the seat stay pivot axle screws into. I think it is from the chain popping off and ribbing here Is this common
On the drivetrain side of the rocker stay there is wear on the top inside of the area the seat stay pivot axle screws into. I think it is from the chain popping off and ribbing here? Is this common?

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 14:52 Quote
tops5 wrote:

transition says bad but one of the owners I believe it is rides a DHX2. I messaged them and they said if you need to run a coil jump up a spring rate which kind of negates the coil bonus. Or the best option in my opinion atleast is to run a progressive spring like mrp makes. I haven’t bit the built yet but I’m getting closer every day.

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 17:52 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
I swapped an x2 on my 2017 patrol. It's an awesome shock. I havent gotten any big mountain days on it yet since everything is buried in snow here in colorado right now. The tunability is amazing on them.

I’ve put a Renthal apex 32mm on my 2019 Medium Sentinel and it feels great! I was serching the perfect fit!

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 17:57 Quote
tricyclerider wrote:
tops5 wrote:

transition says bad but one of the owners I believe it is rides a DHX2. I messaged them and they said if you need to run a coil jump up a spring rate which kind of negates the coil bonus. Or the best option in my opinion atleast is to run a progressive spring like mrp makes. I haven’t bit the built yet but I’m getting closer every day.

After seeing a marked improvement in my patrol from going down a spacer size, essentially making it more linear, I can't help but wonder if the official Transition stance on the issue is because so many people are on the "moar progressive" bandwagon that you kinda have to work that angle to sell bikes in the current climate.

Meanwhile, someone who knows enough to do research to decide they want a coil anyway, knows what they want, and aren't going to blame any quirks on the frame, because they knew what they were getting into.

I'm certainly glad that they chose a shock setup that allows me to get a more linear stroke, rather than the other way around.

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 18:42 Quote
groghunter wrote:
tricyclerider wrote:
tops5 wrote:

After seeing a marked improvement in my patrol from going down a spacer size, essentially making it more linear, I can't help but wonder if the official Transition stance on the issue is because so many people are on the "moar progressive" bandwagon that you kinda have to work that angle to sell bikes in the current climate.

Meanwhile, someone who knows enough to do research to decide they want a coil anyway, knows what they want, and aren't going to blame any quirks on the frame, because they knew what they were getting into.

I'm certainly glad that they chose a shock setup that allows me to get a more linear stroke, rather than the other way around.
I don’t disagree with you. The knimatics say it is moderately progressive and supposedly more progressive than the last patrol which tons of people ran coils on. To be totally honest the only reason I haven’t put one on is because my patrol already weighs 36 ish pounds and it doesn’t need to jump into that OG freeride weightclass!

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 at 12:49 Quote
How in the blue moon do you get the bearings out of the rear of the chainstay ?
Patrol 2018 alloy
All the other bearings popped out quite easily but can budge the double blind bearings.

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 at 11:40 Quote
Hello everyone

Im new here. And am here with one question, to which I couldn't find answers on the net.
Did the 2017 alloy scout frames suffer from braking/ cracking chainstays too?

I currently have an alloy 2017 patrol, but there's too much squish for me.

Thanks a lot in advance and please pardon me if i posted in the wrong section.

Cheers

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.038171
Mobile Version of Website