Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 17:48 Quote
GlassGuy wrote:
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has been able to compare the '15 and '18 Scout and if so has any input.
I've been on a '15 for a while, sold my other bikes when I got it since I liked it so much and I recently got an '18 Scout.
I snapped the chainstay on the '15 three times and was told by the guys at Transition the third break, that the '18 is burlier and I'd be better off with that. So I got one at a good deal and decided I'd keep the '15 as my town basher/spare bike. I love the pop and lively, fun feel of the Scout I've been on and was hoping the '18 would retain that same life.
The bikes have different suspension...'15 has RS Monarch and Marz 350NCR at 150 travel
'18 has Fox DPX2 and Fox 36(these are definitely plusher)
The new frame is longer and a few geo changes.
I'm 6'4 but prefer a smaller frame so I'm on a Large.
The '15 has a 70mm stem and an offset dropper post to give me a little more stretch.
The '18 is longer so I have a 50mm stem and no offset on dropper.
'18 came with carbon wheels.

I took a fall into some rocks and injured my hand so my time on the '18 has been limited, but, it hasn't had that same feeling or comfort of the '15. I've increased pressure to get the suspension to react quicker, as the '18 feels more planted, solid, which is often seen as a good thing, but I am a fan of bouncing off anything I find.

I guess I'm curious if anyone has the same sort of feelings about the two...if there is a difference or if I just need to tweak some things. I was thinking about swapping the suspension just to see what would happen

i would recommend you swap to a smaller volume spacer in the dpx2.

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 6:38 Quote
Sentinel Carbon owner here. Ive been trying to dial in the suspension and have got it close but Ive noticed a weird feeling coming from the rear. On fast stuff with lots of small bumps I feel a vibration coming from the rear, feels klunky. Its either the shocks acting weird or the chain slap. Has anyone else noticed this and found a solution?

Eric

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 7:49 Quote
EKrum wrote:
Sentinel Carbon owner here. Ive been trying to dial in the suspension and have got it close but Ive noticed a weird feeling coming from the rear. On fast stuff with lots of small bumps I feel a vibration coming from the rear, feels klunky. Its either the shocks acting weird or the chain slap. Has anyone else noticed this and found a solution?

Eric

I had this on my smuggler too. I tried a bunch of things at once so I can't be sure but I think it was chain slap. I tried the Mastic tape option that I saw posted on a bike of the day over at vitalmtb and haven't heard that noise since. At the same time, my derailleur wasn't torqued to spec, and I also swapped out my rear shock. But I don't think it was those issues.

The built in chainstay protector is super hard rubber/plastic and instead of the usual metal on metal sound of a chain on the stay, it sounds like a dull thud or thwack instead. Over really chunky stuff it was really loud and annoying.

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 8:22 Quote
groghunter wrote:
GlassGuy wrote:
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has been able to compare the '15 and '18 Scout and if so has any input.
I've been on a '15 for a while, sold my other bikes when I got it since I liked it so much and I recently got an '18 Scout.
I snapped the chainstay on the '15 three times and was told by the guys at Transition the third break, that the '18 is burlier and I'd be better off with that. So I got one at a good deal and decided I'd keep the '15 as my town basher/spare bike. I love the pop and lively, fun feel of the Scout I've been on and was hoping the '18 would retain that same life.
The bikes have different suspension...'15 has RS Monarch and Marz 350NCR at 150 travel
The '15 has a 70mm stem and an offset dropper post to give me a little more stretch.

I took a fall into some rocks and injured my hand so my time on the '18 has been limited, but, it hasn't had that same feeling or comfort of the '15. I've increased pressure to get the suspension to react quicker, as the '18 feels more planted, solid, which is often seen as a good thing, but I am a fan of bouncing off anything I find.

I guess I'm curious if anyone has the same sort of feelings about the two...if there is a difference or if I just need to tweak some things. I was thinking about swapping the suspension just to see what would happen

I don't know what spacers are in it currently but I'll check things out...thanks! I'm guessing the smaller will make the shock react quicker? I have the rebound opened fully to get as much spring out of the back as possible. It's close to "there", but still feels like it doesn't want to pop around as much like the '15

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 9:39 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
EKrum wrote:

Eric

I had this on my smuggler too. I tried a bunch of things at once so I can't be sure but I think it was chain slap. I tried the Mastic tape option that I saw posted on a bike of the day over at vitalmtb and haven't heard that noise since. At the same time, my derailleur wasn't torqued to spec, and I also swapped out my rear shock. But I don't think it was those issues.

The built in chainstay protector is super hard rubber/plastic and instead of the usual metal on metal sound of a chain on the stay, it sounds like a dull thud or thwack instead. Over really chunky stuff it was really loud and annoying.

Which vital bike of the day are you referring to?

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 10:51 Quote
EKrum wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
EKrum wrote:

Eric

Which vital bike of the day are you referring to?

This one! . It doesn't look like super nice or anything but it gets the job done. Trick is getting the tape to stick upwards in the places where your chain slaps the stay in various different gears. But you can't make them too tall because the chain will rub on them in the lower gears (which probably is fine, I can't see that causing any damage you'll just have to replace the tape sooner). There was a poster in this forum a few weeks back who did a really sweet job with some mastic tape as well. It is a similar approach to the chainstay protectors that come on the new Stumpjumpers. Those bikes run REAL quiet.

Think of it like a belt slapping on a table. If that table had ridges sticking out instead of a flat surface, the slapping sound is less severe. And if those ridges were rubberized and soft, then the sound is basically gone.

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 12:11 Quote
What the hell is that bar on that Patrol on Vital?! I thought Girvin stopped making stems like that in the 90's...

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
veero wrote:
What the hell is that bar on that Patrol on Vital?! I thought Girvin stopped making stems like that in the 90's...
There called flexx bars. https://fasstmtb.com

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 13:48 Quote
Question for you people! I'm bike shopping and I want something different than my 2015 Kona process. It's fun and I like that, but it's time for a new bike. I've arrived at 2 "different" bikes. 1) Pole evolink 158 or 2) Patrol. My question is on sizing, I'm 5'9". Geometry on paper puts the medium Evolink roughly the same as the Large Patrol. I've always felt a little cramped on my process (medium), but worry about it as Transitions sizing chart puts me right into the middle of medium. Do people size up on the Patrol at all? What are your thoughts?

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
I would go medium. I’m 5’10” and went large on my sentinel but probably would have been happy with a medium. If you go large don’t ever expect to be able to manual through sections of trails.

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 15:25 Quote
spinko wrote:
Question for you people! I'm bike shopping and I want something different than my 2015 Kona process. It's fun and I like that, but it's time for a new bike. I've arrived at 2 "different" bikes. 1) Pole evolink 158 or 2) Patrol. My question is on sizing, I'm 5'9". Geometry on paper puts the medium Evolink roughly the same as the Large Patrol. I've always felt a little cramped on my process (medium), but worry about it as Transitions sizing chart puts me right into the middle of medium. Do people size up on the Patrol at all? What are your thoughts?

Im 5'10'', felt the same way with my M '17 trek remedy. Demo'd a L patrol and it took me 5 minutes to go down to a M and I couldn't be happier. M is long enough to feel stable but not too much to feel slow and dull (for my height and riding style I guess)

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 9:07 Quote
If you were to put a regular offset fork on the new '18 scout you would get a much more similiar feel out of it. Thats what I found on my sentinel before going back to a gen1 patrol. Can you try your NCR on the new scout? May be just the feeling your looking for...cheers

groghunter wrote:
GlassGuy wrote:

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
gravity808 wrote:
If you were to put a regular offset fork on the new '18 scout you would get a much more similiar feel out of it. Thats what I found on my sentinel before going back to a gen1 patrol. Can you try your NCR on the new scout? May be just the feeling your looking for...cheers

groghunter wrote:
GlassGuy wrote:

I've been considering swapping suspension on the bikes and seeing how much of a difference that will make. I removed the spacer from the DPX last night so I'll be giving a test to see if that helps it feel any more lively as well

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 11:59 Quote
EKrum wrote:
I would go medium. I’m 5’10” and went large on my sentinel but probably would have been happy with a medium. If you go large don’t ever expect to be able to manual through sections of trails.

kj91 wrote:
Im 5'10'', felt the same way with my M '17 trek remedy. Demo'd a L patrol and it took me 5 minutes to go down to a M and I couldn't be happier. M is long enough to feel stable but not too much to feel slow and dull (for my height and riding style I guess)

Thanks gentlemen.

Active Forum Threads
1 mins ago - Bikes with steepest seat angle
4 mins ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
6 mins ago - Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
6 mins ago - Banshee Bikes, NS Bikes, YT Industries Bikes and Ragley Bikes need their own manufacturer forum on Pinkbike
7 mins ago - Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
8 mins ago - SRAM x5, did the dealer give me the wrong cassette
16 mins ago - Show your all mountain bike
18 mins ago - Sexiest Old-School DH Bike Out There
22 mins ago - What brakes are people running?
24 mins ago - dirt jumper or bmx and what size?
28 mins ago - Help me purchase a bike please
49 mins ago - Looking for a 21.5tt or longer frame or complete bmx (BMX)
53 mins ago - Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!
54 mins ago - Show Off Your YT
1 hours ago - 2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
1 hours ago - Sexiest Slopestyle Bikes and Slopestyle Discussion
1 hours ago - Are people really going for electric parts? Are they really the future?
1 hours ago - Jeffsy 27.5 Thread
1 hours ago - Jeffsy 29er Thread
1 hours ago - X2 shock YT
1 hours ago - The Whistler Thread
2 hours ago - Enduro saddles
2 hours ago - The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.
2 hours ago - Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
2 hours ago - [STOLEN BIKES] Post Your Stolen Bike Ad Here (U.S.A/Canada/South America Only)

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021695
Mobile Version of Website