Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 14:29 Quote
spinko wrote:
Question for you people! I'm bike shopping and I want something different than my 2015 Kona process. It's fun and I like that, but it's time for a new bike. I've arrived at 2 "different" bikes. 1) Pole evolink 158 or 2) Patrol. My question is on sizing, I'm 5'9". Geometry on paper puts the medium Evolink roughly the same as the Large Patrol. I've always felt a little cramped on my process (medium), but worry about it as Transitions sizing chart puts me right into the middle of medium. Do people size up on the Patrol at all? What are your thoughts?
I'm 5.10 and gone large , have always bought mediums before but the large 2017 patrol is so much better , just feels right !

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 14:38 Quote
EKrum wrote:
I would go medium. I’m 5’10” and went large on my sentinel but probably would have been happy with a medium. If you go large don’t ever expect to be able to manual through sections of trails.
It might have something to do with the 29” wheels and manuals are so 2018 tup

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 19:54 Quote
Matt115lamb wrote:
I'm 5.10 and gone large , have always bought mediums before but the large 2017 patrol is so much better , just feels right !
Thanks!

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 6:08 Quote
EKrum wrote:
I would go medium. I’m 5’10” and went large on my sentinel but probably would have been happy with a medium. If you go large don’t ever expect to be able to manual through sections of trails.

5'10" XL patrol, I can manual the bike anywhere, it hurts my back though, hurts my back to just own this bike lol.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 6:44 Quote
skerby wrote:
EKrum wrote:

5'10" XL patrol, I can manual the bike anywhere, it hurts my back though, hurts my back to just own this bike lol.
I would look into getting a smaller bike.
Cant imagine riding bikes is fun when it hurts a ton.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 7:19 Quote
I don't think the TT is too super long, and some days I will ride it and not have problems. Just when my back is tight in the first place it is an issue. Really like the extra wheelbase for descending, but i would take my large frame back in a heartbeat lol.

Im gonna try 40mm rise bars and cut the seattube down as much as I can.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
I'm 6'4 and ride Large Scouts....earlier version I have an offset dropper post and "longish" stem at 70mm to get a little extra stretch. New Scout is longer so I have more of a normal set up. I can't imagine you being 5'10 and on an XL and that not somehow leading to something bad, especially if you're doing drastic mods like cutting down seatposts. Just get a frame that fits better.
skerby wrote:
I don't think the TT is too super long, and some days I will ride it and not have problems. Just when my back is tight in the first place it is an issue. Really like the extra wheelbase for descending, but i would take my large frame back in a heartbeat lol.

Im gonna try 40mm rise bars and cut the seattube down as much as I can.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
skerby wrote:
EKrum wrote:

That's nuts. You definitely need a smaller bike. XL SBG Patrol's are similar to XXL bikes from other brands and you're not even 6ft!

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 9:19 Quote
GlassGuy wrote:
I'm 6'4 and ride Large Scouts....earlier version I have an offset dropper post and "longish" stem at 70mm to get a little extra stretch. New Scout is longer so I have more of a normal set up. I can't imagine you being 5'10 and on an XL and that not somehow leading to something bad, especially if you're doing drastic mods like cutting down seatposts. Just get a frame that fits better.

SBG large is the dream lol. XL is pretty rad on high speed trails that are super rough though, my local trails are really steep and chunky.

My bike is pre SBG, OG

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 10:03 Quote
Thinking about putting a coil on my smuggler... Never ridden one on a trail bike. Anyone have any suggestions on if I should or not? (My other option would probably be a dpx2, coil being a dhx2.)

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 13:53 Quote
Ridden large Transitions for ages, got the new Bronson and its f*cking massive, everytime I ride my 17 c Scout now it feels really small, but it just fits .

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 14:36 Quote
pigman65 wrote:
Ridden large Transitions for ages, got the new Bronson and its f*cking massive, everytime I ride my 17 c Scout now it feels really small, but it just fits .

Coming off of a Large '17 Kona Process, my patrol felt really short at first, but I quickly got use to it and now i'm more comfortable on it than I ever was on the Process. Transition has their geometry figured out. Other brands need to get on board (mostly with seat angles)

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 21:34 Quote
TuckerBikes wrote:
Thinking about putting a coil on my smuggler... Never ridden one on a trail bike. Anyone have any suggestions on if I should or not? (My other option would probably be a dpx2, coil being a dhx2.)

I haven't ridden a coil but I did swap the dps for a dpx2 and its a huge improvement. Just got back from three days in Squamish riding pretty hard stuff and I like how it has improved the back both on the climbs and descents. So far, so good!

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 3:46 Quote
I've just (finally) built up my 2017 Scout carbon XL. I'm 6'1 and a chunky monkey (about 110kgs incl bike gear) and first ride with recommended sag setting I blow through the travel quite easily.

How many spacers have folk put in the rear shock to add some progression? Does it drastically reduce small bump compliance?

I am also thinking of buying a DVO Topaz. Not sure if that would help?

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 6:32 Quote
snax001 wrote:
I've just (finally) built up my 2017 Scout carbon XL. I'm 6'1 and a chunky monkey (about 110kgs incl bike gear) and first ride with recommended sag setting I blow through the travel quite easily.

How many spacers have folk put in the rear shock to add some progression? Does it drastically reduce small bump compliance?

I am also thinking of buying a DVO Topaz. Not sure if that would help?

I don't know what shock you have but my '15 Scout has a monarch and no spacers...I'm 6'4, 220 and ride a L. I love how active the back is for jumping so with my '18 Scout with a DPX2 I removed the spacer and finding it performing more to my liking. I should note I don't bottom out, even doing 5'-6' drop to flats.
My bike probably isn't the most supple...I could reduce air to help with that, but I prefer a bike that pops and is lively more than sticks to the ground

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023674
Mobile Version of Website