Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Author Message
Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 7:40 Quote
I was bottoming my 2017 Patrol out a lot at recommended sag (35%) and stock Super Deluxe spacers (2) - Transition told me to set sag seated after I asked them for advice. I'd still bottom it out after that so tried less sag and stock spacers but ended up back at recommended sag (still seated) with 3.5 spacers and liked how that rode.

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 10:51 Quote
Thanks. This is really useful- I need to do a bit of playing around. Good to know that spacers are a potential solution

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 12:13 Quote
For what it's worth, I have an '18 Sentinel that came with the 0.6 volume reducer. I ran it at a relatively high pressure compared the sag recommendation, around 210 psi for my 165-170 ungeared weight. It felt pretty good in terms of suppleness, but bottomed out noticeably on relatively small (2') jumps. Last week I sized up to the 0.8 volume reducer that comes stock in the 2019 Sentinels, leaving the pressure the same, and it feels much better on jumps. So I think that Transition was correct in increasing the size of the stock volume reducer in the 2019 models.

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 15:07 Quote
snax001 wrote:
I've just (finally) built up my 2017 Scout carbon XL. I'm 6'1 and a chunky monkey (about 110kgs incl bike gear) and first ride with recommended sag setting I blow through the travel quite easily.

How many spacers have folk put in the rear shock to add some progression? Does it drastically reduce small bump compliance?

I am also thinking of buying a DVO Topaz. Not sure if that would help?

Had the same thing with mine, i am the same size and weight. The standard Monarch is shit, if you put more air in to try and stop using all the travel it's way too hard, set the sag at 33% and it will bottom out all the time.
I tried using bands and then i tried the coil from my 15 Scout but it didn't work as well, and it's too heavy.

I've stuck a CCDB inline on it, pretty much got bored of fettling with it and now i just ride it.
It's a strange bike, with the seat at optimum climbing height, it rides shit, it is way too firm and feels more like an xc bike,
If I drop the post 1/2" it turns into a lunatic bike, got the frame the week before my V3 Bronson and didn't really use it for a while, now it's my first choice.

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 19:16 Quote
Any SBG Patrol owners able to take a measurement of the actual BB height for me? I had a quick test spin on a Patrol yesterday and even with minimal sag it felt much lower than my Process 153. If you have one, could you measure from the floor to the centre of the BB (flat floor, bike upright, etc). The claimed BB height isnt crazy low but it sure felt it.

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 19:42 Quote
mrtoodles wrote:
Any SBG Patrol owners able to take a measurement of the actual BB height for me? I had a quick test spin on a Patrol yesterday and even with minimal sag it felt much lower than my Process 153. If you have one, could you measure from the floor to the centre of the BB (flat floor, bike upright, etc). The claimed BB height isnt crazy low but it sure felt it.
with all the different tire sizes, that measurement isn't very useful anymore. Gonna vary widely between bikes. Compare bb drop instead.

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 19:56 Quote
snax001 wrote:
I've just (finally) built up my 2017 Scout carbon XL. I'm 6'1 and a chunky monkey (about 110kgs incl bike gear) and first ride with recommended sag setting I blow through the travel quite easily.

How many spacers have folk put in the rear shock to add some progression? Does it drastically reduce small bump compliance?

I am also thinking of buying a DVO Topaz. Not sure if that would help?


A topaz would help if you're willing to tinker, as it has much more tuning latitude available to the end user than Fox or RS. They do actually have a non-piggyback shock too, the Opal, they just suck at updating their website.

Also, I can't say this enough, recommended sag is called "recommended" for a reason. If you're blowing through travel, at the recommended setting, it's too soft for you and your riding, put more air in the shock. Especially if you're riding a shock with fewer adjustments, sometimes you have to adjust the spring (air pressure) to compensate for insufficient compression damping. This is especially true for heavier riders, as they put the same shock on your bike as a 130lb rider, and that necessitates compromise.

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 23:21 Quote
groghunter wrote:
with all the different tire sizes, that measurement isn't very useful anymore. Gonna vary widely between bikes. Compare bb drop instead.

Yeah, the geo charts show a 5mm difference in drop between the two bikes but it felt bigger than that to me. I guess fork sag might have affected it as well.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 8:21 Quote
mrtoodles wrote:
groghunter wrote:
with all the different tire sizes, that measurement isn't very useful anymore. Gonna vary widely between bikes. Compare bb drop instead.

Yeah, the geo charts show a 5mm difference in drop between the two bikes but it felt bigger than that to me. I guess fork sag might have affected it as well.

Also rides lower than the chart suggests, since these bikes are designed to sag a little more than most bikes on the market.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 8:31 Quote
mrtoodles wrote:
Any SBG Patrol owners able to take a measurement of the actual BB height for me? I had a quick test spin on a Patrol yesterday and even with minimal sag it felt much lower than my Process 153. If you have one, could you measure from the floor to the centre of the BB (flat floor, bike upright, etc). The claimed BB height isnt crazy low but it sure felt it.

I have an 18 XL Sentinel, and I hit my pedals a LOT more than my old Spartan. I bought some crank caps for the early days, but after a few rides you just start timing your pedal strokes better. Still hit them but much less often.

Posted: Apr 27, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
TuckerBikes wrote:
Thinking about putting a coil on my smuggler... Never ridden one on a trail bike. Anyone have any suggestions on if I should or not? (My other option would probably be a dpx2, coil being a dhx2.)

I haven't ridden a coil but I did swap the dps for a dpx2 and its a huge improvement. Just got back from three days in Squamish riding pretty hard stuff and I like how it has improved the back both on the climbs and descents. So far, so good!

Thanks for the advice! Just got a super good deal on an MRP Hazzard, think I'll be going with that.

Posted: Apr 27, 2019 at 13:00 Quote
TuckerBikes wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
TuckerBikes wrote:
Thinking about putting a coil on my smuggler... Never ridden one on a trail bike. Anyone have any suggestions on if I should or not? (My other option would probably be a dpx2, coil being a dhx2.)

I haven't ridden a coil but I did swap the dps for a dpx2 and its a huge improvement. Just got back from three days in Squamish riding pretty hard stuff and I like how it has improved the back both on the climbs and descents. So far, so good!

Thanks for the advice! Just got a super good deal on an MRP Hazzard, think I'll be going with that.

Let us know how it goes! I looked at that option too but it was a pretty expensive experimental upgrade that I couldn't find much info about online .

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
How are folk removing the bearings from the trunnion mount (on the top of the shock).

Ive done it before with a trusty hammer and drift but this time theyre well in there.
Tips?

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 14:23 Quote
flymcg wrote:
How are folk removing the bearings from the trunnion mount (on the top of the shock).

Ive done it before with a trusty hammer and drift but this time theyre well in there.
Tips?

Boiling water on the shock where the bearing is. warm first, then red hot. This expands the aluminium faster than the steel bearing and makes it easier to drift out.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 15:50 Quote
Anyone tried a 180 fork on a 2017 patrol? I know transition doesn't really recommend it, but I don't see why it wouldn't be a bad idea. If I ran it with more sag I would think it would balance nicely and help give the front more grip.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018012
Mobile Version of Website