Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 16:45 Quote
danielwest330 wrote:
Anyone tried a 180 fork on a 2017 patrol? I know transition doesn't really recommend it, but I don't see why it wouldn't be a bad idea. If I ran it with more sag I would think it would balance nicely and help give the front more grip.

I've thought about going to 170 on my patrol but I would think 180 might throw off the geo too much.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 19:56 Quote
170 Lyrik on my Patrol, I wouldn't have it any other way. But it's all I've known. I've been over forking my bikes for years.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 21:12 Quote
Here’s some updated sentinel pics. I swapped over to a 170mm Marzocchi z1 up front and a Bomber coil on the rear. So far it feels quite a bit better than the RS stuff did.
photo
photo

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 21:20 Quote
ZSW wrote:
Here’s some updated sentinel pics. I swapped over to a 170mm Marzocchi z1 up front and a Bomber coil on the rear. So far it feels quite a bit better than the RS stuff did.
photo
photo

Beautiful. I've got a Bomber CR on my patrol too, still trying to get it dialed in.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 22:25 Quote
danielwest330 wrote:
Anyone tried a 180 fork on a 2017 patrol? I know transition doesn't really recommend it, but I don't see why it wouldn't be a bad idea. If I ran it with more sag I would think it would balance nicely and help give the front more grip.

Yeah, I tried a fox 36 at 160, 170 & 180 on my old 2017 patrol. The 180 felt great in straight lines, but I struggled to get it round the corners due to lifting the front end and unweighting the front tyre even with 25% sag. For the past 2 years I've stuck with 170, which seems the best all round fork length for my riding.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 8:59 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
flymcg wrote:
How are folk removing the bearings from the trunnion mount (on the top of the shock).

Ive done it before with a trusty hammer and drift but this time theyre well in there.
Tips?

Boiling water on the shock where the bearing is. warm first, then red hot. This expands the aluminium faster than the steel bearing and makes it easier to drift out.

Winner, that did it. Cheers.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 9:30 Quote
danielwest330 wrote:

i'm running 170 on my 2016 and I dig it, really doesn't have much effect on the geometry when you consider extra sag etc. I switched from a 40mm bar to 30mm to compensate for the extra height, but now im back on the 40mm rise and I love it.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 13:32 Quote
ZSW wrote:
photo
photo

How do you like the coil? I am thinking about going to one myself.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 13:41 Quote
How does it feel with the 170 up front? I would like a little extra stack height and that would be an easy way to get it.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 14:50 Quote
flymcg wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
flymcg wrote:
How are folk removing the bearings from the trunnion mount (on the top of the shock).

Ive done it before with a trusty hammer and drift but this time theyre well in there.
Tips?

Boiling water on the shock where the bearing is. warm first, then red hot. This expands the aluminium faster than the steel bearing and makes it easier to drift out.

Winner, that did it. Cheers.

Smile nice one

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 21:22 Quote
jackspice wrote:

How do you like the coil? I am thinking about going to one myself.[/Quote]

It’s pretty ideal for me. My riding is a lot of rocky natural terrain with lots of square edges and I only weigh 145lbs so the coil helps a lot with that. I haven’t had too but trouble with bottom out but our local drops are either under 5 feet tall or have fairly smooth transitions. Larger riders or people who shred hard at bike parks might not have great luck with it

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 8:08 Quote
ZSW wrote:
jackspice wrote:

It’s pretty ideal for me. My riding is a lot of rocky natural terrain with lots of square edges and I only weigh 145lbs so the coil helps a lot with that. I haven’t had too but trouble with bottom out but our local drops are either under 5 feet tall or have fairly smooth transitions. Larger riders or people who shred hard at bike parks might not have great luck with it[/Quote]

That's exactly what my local riding is except I am 190lb. What size did you get? The closest one I have seen is 205 x 60.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 11:18 Quote
Hi Everyone looking for the sweet spot on DPX2. I have a 2019 carbon Patrol and I think it feels a little choppy in the rear. Any recommendations with settings? Was wondering maybe a smaller volume spacer?? I'm 78kg in weight, 23mm sag, 2 LSC fully open and rebound is 3 from open, spacer is stock. Thanks.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 12:26 Quote
wordy1979 wrote:
Hi Everyone looking for the sweet spot on DPX2. I have a 2019 carbon Patrol and I think it feels a little choppy in the rear. Any recommendations with settings? Was wondering maybe a smaller volume spacer?? I'm 78kg in weight, 23mm sag, 2 LSC fully open and rebound is 3 from open, spacer is stock. Thanks.

The volume spacers make huge differences. I found the .2 to be perfect on my patrol.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2019 at 18:20 Quote
jackspice wrote:
ZSW wrote:
jackspice wrote:

It’s pretty ideal for me. My riding is a lot of rocky natural terrain with lots of square edges and I only weigh 145lbs so the coil helps a lot with that. I haven’t had too but trouble with bottom out but our local drops are either under 5 feet tall or have fairly smooth transitions. Larger riders or people who shred hard at bike parks might not have great luck with it

That's exactly what my local riding is except I am 190lb. What size did you get? The closest one I have seen is 205 x 60.[/Quote]

I bought mine as a 205x65 since they don’t offer a 205x57.5 stock. I took it apart and added a 7mm spacer to the damper shaft under the bump stop to shorten the stroke. I also switched the compression and rebound valving to the light tune on mine but you should probably keep the stock medium tune. I used some older info for the Fox Van rc to figure out the valving, ifp depth and pressure. I do not use nitrogen for the ifp charge so I made a schrader valve fitting so I can pressurize it with a shock pump

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031929
Mobile Version of Website