Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: May 25, 2019 at 11:53 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
That does look sweet!
Is the paint as good as it looks?

not any more lol

hardly ridden since he bought it so its still shiny with only a couple of marks on it.

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 12:53 Quote
mtb-scotland wrote:
wythall1 wrote:
That does look sweet!
Is the paint as good as it looks?

not any more lol

hardly ridden since he bought it so its still shiny with only a couple of marks on it.

The paint on my orange one was shocking to be fair, you only had to look at it and it would chip! lol

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 17:49 Quote
[PI=][/PI]
buddymtb wrote:
I just got a Transition Patrol and I am trying to get used to the geometry of the bike. I notice that the front wheel wants to turn under and catch when I turn it hard into corners either high speed or low speed. I rolled the bars back a little and that seemed to help. I know this could just be a need to get used to the shorter fork offset but has anyone else experienced this?

Any chance you want to donate your time and more effort to a before and after photo? Been struggling with this for months on on my Patrol.

A wild backcountry photo in North Andover. LOL

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 19:53 Quote
airtym wrote:
[PI=][/PI]
buddymtb wrote:
I just got a Transition Patrol and I am trying to get used to the geometry of the bike. I notice that the front wheel wants to turn under and catch when I turn it hard into corners either high speed or low speed. I rolled the bars back a little and that seemed to help. I know this could just be a need to get used to the shorter fork offset but has anyone else experienced this?

Any chance you want to donate your time and more effort to a before and after photo? Been struggling with this for months on on my Patrol.

Be happy to do that, could you post a picture of your bike from the side so I can see how far forward the roll of your bars is.

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 20:18 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
airtym wrote:
[PI=][/PI]
buddymtb wrote:

Be happy to do that, could you post a picture of your bike from the side so I can see how far forward the roll of your bars is.
Have you tried a slightly longer stem? 50mm?

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 21:09 Quote
airtym wrote:
[PI=][/PI]
buddymtb wrote:

Here is a good video describing what you are experiencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY7DPKk9kIc

What seems to have solved this issue for me is to roll the bars back a little with the brakes levers in a more elevated position and have the bars stacked all the way up.This puts me in a more upright position on the bike which allows me to take advantage of the SBG geometry. On any other enduro bike I have ridden hard enduro runs on, you need to weight the front wheel more into corners because of the geometry which tends to keep less weight on the front tire.

On the Transition Patrol, the geometry balances out the weight more so that you already have the correct amount of weight on the front tire when you are in a more upright and balanced position. The first couple of rides on the patrol I wanted to push weight onto the front tire but that caused the tipping/washing out feeling. Now that I am used to the bike, I am not shifting my weight forward and I am staying centered and balanced in the middle of the bike which keeps the correct weight ratio between the front and rear tire in place due to the SBG geometry. The last two rides on the Patrol, I rode down some double black diamond runs and was able to let the bike go with confidence. The more upright and balanced position really allows me to throw the bike from side to side in the corners and lean the bike harder. This balanced position also makes it easier to row it forward and back on big drops and jumps.

It's hard to explain how good this feels on the Patrol until you do it and sit in the sweet spot.. It is almost like your body is freed up to move on the bike and when you are in the balanced position, the bike sort of dances underneath you in the corners and chunky stuff.

On the low speed corners i do have to pay close attention to my weight transitions in and out of the corners because on uphill switchbacks you can't really lean the bike hard and instead you have to turn the front wheel more to make the tight corners. I am getting used to this and it seems to be working really well.

That's my two cents on this issue and I hope it helps.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 7:51 Quote
Lornholio wrote:
Anyone using a OneUp dropper in their Carbon TITS frame? Thinking of trying one with a Wolftooth remote in my 2017 Patrol Carbon but have read that the OneUp doesn't work well in some Santa Cruz internal cable guide tubes because the cable housing needs to move slightly to engage the post.

To answer my own question... the OneUp Dropper works well in a pre-SBS carbon TITS frame. First ride today (with Wolf Tooh remote) on my 2017 Patrol Carbon, all good. Feed the seatpost back into the frame to leave a little slack in the housing between the internal guide tube and seatpost and dial in the cable tension just enough at the remote.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
I must have been unlucky then. As I said the OneUp was like someone sand papering my frame each time I actuated the post. The outer gear cable slid back and forth inside the TITS tube each time I pressed and released the lever.

I was a bit pissed at OneUp who palmed it off with never having heard about it before and refused to offer any constructive advice. In the end I bodged it with a flexible v brake noodle on the end of the cable at the post end and it worked ok. An SBG frame solved the issue.

However the last couple of rides the dropper has stopped coming all the way up and I have to help it up. The seat clamp is only just tight enough to stop the post spinning. Damn post is doing my head in.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 16:32 Quote
bigquotesHowever the last couple of rides the dropper has stopped coming all the way up and I have to help it up. The seat clamp is only just tight enough to stop the post spinning. Damn post is doing my head in.

Probably just needs a clean and lube. Same thing was happening to mine. Unscrew the collar, pop up the bushing and take it off and clean it. Clean the stanchion too. Then reassemble with fork grease or some stanchion lube.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 16:41 Quote
airtym wrote:
[PI=][/PI]
buddymtb wrote:

Here is the photo you requested. I don't have any before photos. The only thing I change was to roll the bars back on added more stack to the headset.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 16:42 Quote
veero wrote:
I must have been unlucky then. As I said the OneUp was like someone sand papering my frame each time I actuated the post. The outer gear cable slid back and forth inside the TITS tube each time I pressed and released the lever.

I was a bit pissed at OneUp who palmed it off with never having heard about it before and refused to offer any constructive advice. In the end I bodged it with a flexible v brake noodle on the end of the cable at the post end and it worked ok. An SBG frame solved the issue.

However the last couple of rides the dropper has stopped coming all the way up and I have to help it up. The seat clamp is only just tight enough to stop the post spinning. Damn post is doing my head in.

You might need to throw some air in it.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 17:00 Quote
My first Transition, finally! just finished building up this Smuggler. I have a couple finishing touches yet but can already say that it rips!

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 20:50 Quote
ZSchnei wrote:
veero wrote:

I have no experience with a oneup post, until they release the 210mm v2 version, but I saw on instagram some dude who said to slab some slickoleum or sram butter on the cable where it bends through the frame and that should smooth things out. Re-slap some on once a season and problem might be solved?

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 3:29 Quote
I'm sure this has been covered a bit in the past but i can't find too much info online...

Is it safe/easy/doable to knock the bearings out of the alloy patrol frame parts using sockets and a flat head driver? I plan to get the bearing pro tools install kit to put the new ones back in unless i can use the old bearings an a G clamp?

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 8:24 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
ZSchnei wrote:
veero wrote:

I have no experience with a oneup post, until they release the 210mm v2 version, but I saw on instagram some dude who said to slab some slickoleum or sram butter on the cable where it bends through the frame and that should smooth things out. Re-slap some on once a season and problem might be solved?

FWIW, I grease cable, and use a grease gun to inject slickoleum aka slick honey, on every cable/housing I install. Grease is better than oil for displacing water, and stays in the housing better.

Shimano actually pre-impregnates XTR level housing with grease from the factory.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027227
Mobile Version of Website