Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Author Message
Posted: Jun 8, 2019 at 20:08 Quote
ColinD wrote:
Coming together slowly

She is coming together slowly.
Still have to order brakes, groupset, cranks and BB

That bar and stem combo is sexy.

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 at 20:30 Quote
TuckerBikes wrote:
ColinD wrote:
Coming together slowly

She is coming together slowly.
Still have to order brakes, groupset, cranks and BB

That bar and stem combo is sexy.
Hope stem with the new Oneup bars

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 21:12 Quote
Wanted to give an update on getting the new Patrol dialed in to just the right feel and balance. I had already posted about how much changing the bar roll position really enhanced the balance of this bike, I have also added a 1/4 spacer to raise the stem up a little and I think I just about have it dialed in for a really fast, fun and balanced riding position. The more I ride the Patrol, the more I discover that it really likes you to be in a more upright and centered position on the bike. At first this felt like to much weight on the front tire on the black diamond enduro runs but the more that I am trusting the design the better it feels. Bike flies downhill and corners better than any bike I have ridden.

I am always surprised at how well it climbs though. I am equaling my climb times on this bike that I was doing on an all mountain bike, a carbon YT jeffsy that weighs 3 pounds less and and has the angles to really climb well. I took the Patrol out on a 5 hour Alpine ride last week that started with a 2 hour very tight technical singletrack climb with lots a granite rock features to get over and super tight uphill switchbacks. This first climb included over 2,000 feet of elevation gain (3,000 feet total elevation gain for the whole ride). This bike shocks me at how well it did on a ride like this. It also handled a very tight and technical downhill section with ease.

Bike set-up is so subjective and varies so much from person to person, but I Hope this helps others that are trying to dial in their set-up.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 12:15 Quote
Hi everyone maybe this question has been made before, I'm thinking on getting a SBG Patrol frame and put my parts on it. So I'm wondering if the reduced offset fork is critical for the build and how a traditional offset will affect the handling.

I'm just worried about the wheel base and how it will handle flatter trails

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
Depending which journalist you listen to it either makes a significant difference or next to no difference. You'll have less wheel flop with a traditional offset and a little more stability with a shorter offset. Difference to wheelbase is pretty negligible.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 14:07 Quote
kingtut87 wrote:
Depending which journalist you listen to it either makes a significant difference or next to no difference. You'll have less wheel flop with a traditional offset and a little more stability with a shorter offset. Difference to wheelbase is pretty negligible.
. Agree with this totally. I've been swapping between 37 and 46 offsets lately and am currently thinking that something about 41 or 42 might be perfect. The 37 offset is noticeably slower steering at center but has huge stability too.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 14:42 Quote
zhakarias wrote:
Hi everyone maybe this question has been made before, I'm thinking on getting a SBG Patrol frame and put my parts on it. So I'm wondering if the reduced offset fork is critical for the build and how a traditional offset will affect the handling.

I'm just worried about the wheel base and how it will handle flatter trails

I just did this myself - put the build kit off my Kona Process onto a Patrol frame. The 46 offset feels totally fine for pretty much everything. I'd like to try a shorter offset to see what the difference is, but the CSU cost is so high I may as well just buy another fork.

panaphonic wrote:
Agree with this totally. I've been swapping between 37 and 46 offsets lately and am currently thinking that something about 41 or 42 might be perfect. The 37 offset is noticeably slower steering at center but has huge stability too.

Something in the middle would be cool. I believe there are CSUs in that range but haven't bothered trying to find one yet.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 14:45 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
kingtut87 wrote:
Depending which journalist you listen to it either makes a significant difference or next to no difference. You'll have less wheel flop with a traditional offset and a little more stability with a shorter offset. Difference to wheelbase is pretty negligible.
. Agree with this totally. I've been swapping between 37 and 46 offsets lately and am currently thinking that something about 41 or 42 might be perfect. The 37 offset is noticeably slower steering at center but has huge stability too.

I brought this up on here concerning my '15 and '18 Scouts. New one came with 37 offset and to me made the bike feel way less fun. Scout was famous for it's "playful" ride, which to me was ruined. I put a 44 on the bike and much more snappy. I'll sacrifice stability for a fun handling bike!

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 0:22 Quote
Also, I'm wondering how the suspension bahaves I'm comming from a 2018 remedy with an x2 in the back and 170 fox rc2 up front and I love it.

Aparently the kinematics are similar between these two bikes (good traction, easy to pop) so it would be interesting to known if this is true. I basically want a longer remedy but trek don't make one with a reasonable seat tube length

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 7:23 Quote
My BB is creaking a bit on my '19 smuggled so I brought it to my shop to swap out. Too lazy to do it myself. My mechanic told me that the BB is completely fused to my frame. Cannot be removed even with high powered tools. Came from factory like that, I didn't touch it once. Essentially makes my frame useless if it cant be removed and my bb bearings are toast. Anyone else have or heard of a similar issue? Contacting transition to see if it would be a warranty issue or not.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 7:39 Quote
zhakarias wrote:
Hi everyone maybe this question has been made before, I'm thinking on getting a SBG Patrol frame and put my parts on it. So I'm wondering if the reduced offset fork is critical for the build and how a traditional offset will affect the handling.

I'm just worried about the wheel base and how it will handle flatter trails

Good luck finding a frame.
I've been looking for 2 years now and they all slipped through my fingers.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 7:42 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
My BB is creaking a bit on my '19 smuggled so I brought it to my shop to swap out. Too lazy to do it myself. My mechanic told me that the BB is completely fused to my frame. Cannot be removed even with high powered tools. Came from factory like that, I didn't touch it once. Essentially makes my frame useless if it cant be removed and my bb bearings are toast. Anyone else have or heard of a similar issue? Contacting transition to see if it would be a warranty issue or not.

Really? I've never seen a BB that would not come off with a large pipe wrench as a last resort.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 7:55 Quote
monts wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
My BB is creaking a bit on my '19 smuggled so I brought it to my shop to swap out. Too lazy to do it myself. My mechanic told me that the BB is completely fused to my frame. Cannot be removed even with high powered tools. Came from factory like that, I didn't touch it once. Essentially makes my frame useless if it cant be removed and my bb bearings are toast. Anyone else have or heard of a similar issue? Contacting transition to see if it would be a warranty issue or not.

Really? I've never seen a BB that would not come off with a large pipe wrench as a last resort.

I know, I was surprised too. Guy tried with his high powered tools and whatever wrenches they had. The drive side he was able to get off, but the non-drive side won't budge. I tried when I got it home and completely rounded out the wrench fitting on my park tool 16 point BB tool.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 8:02 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
monts wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
My BB is creaking a bit on my '19 smuggled so I brought it to my shop to swap out. Too lazy to do it myself. My mechanic told me that the BB is completely fused to my frame. Cannot be removed even with high powered tools. Came from factory like that, I didn't touch it once. Essentially makes my frame useless if it cant be removed and my bb bearings are toast. Anyone else have or heard of a similar issue? Contacting transition to see if it would be a warranty issue or not.

Really? I've never seen a BB that would not come off with a large pipe wrench as a last resort.

I know, I was surprised too. Guy tried with his high powered tools and whatever wrenches they had. The drive side he was able to get off, but the non-drive side won't budge. I tried when I got it home and completely rounded out the wrench fitting on my park tool 16 point BB tool.

Take it to a machine shop, they are used to using higher tourque tools and leverage that should be able to get it out. I’ve had a similar thing a few cycles of heating the BB but nothe the frame can help as well, but ya gotta be super careful and That is a seriously off warranty issue.

On the other hand, if it is fused in if there’s a way you can pop the bearing out you should just be able to pop a new one back in

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 8:08 Quote
kylemciver wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
monts wrote:


Really? I've never seen a BB that would not come off with a large pipe wrench as a last resort.

I know, I was surprised too. Guy tried with his high powered tools and whatever wrenches they had. The drive side he was able to get off, but the non-drive side won't budge. I tried when I got it home and completely rounded out the wrench fitting on my park tool 16 point BB tool.

Take it to a machine shop, they are used to using higher tourque tools and leverage that should be able to get it out. I’ve had a similar thing a few cycles of heating the BB but nothe the frame can help as well, but ya gotta be super careful and That is a seriously off warranty issue.

On the other hand, if it is fused in if there’s a way you can pop the bearing out you should just be able to pop a new one back in

I'm going to see what Transition says before I do anything else. My BB is still creaking/clicking a bit, which is not a big deal but in my experience that only gets worse over time and gets really annoying. I didn't know you could take the bearings out without removing the BB. Good to know.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024031
Mobile Version of Website