Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 8:52 Quote
It could be your pedals too, or something else entirely. If your BB is really fused to the frame so hard then it is most likely not the source of creaking.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 8:57 Quote
skerby wrote:
It could be your pedals too, or something else entirely. If your BB is really fused to the frame so hard then it is most likely not the source of creaking.

Yes it's potentially something else, for sure. I cleaned and greased the pedals and cranks and checked the pivots in that area and they all seem fine. Get on the bike and immediately can feel it through my cranks when torqueing the pedals. On an old sram gxp bb the plastic pieces that overlap/attach to each other would rub and creak after a while so I was hoping to just take it all apart and clean and grease it. But still, a stuck BB isn't good even if it's not the source of the problem.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 9:09 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
My BB is creaking a bit on my '19 smuggled so I brought it to my shop to swap out. Too lazy to do it myself. My mechanic told me that the BB is completely fused to my frame. Cannot be removed even with high powered tools. Came from factory like that, I didn't touch it once. Essentially makes my frame useless if it cant be removed and my bb bearings are toast. Anyone else have or heard of a similar issue? Contacting transition to see if it would be a warranty issue or not.

Had this happen on 2 different alloy transition patrols (I work at a dealer). Was eventually able to get them off after doing a considerable amount of damage to the bottom bracket splines and my tools. Also had to re-tap BB threads afterword. Transition credited us for new bottom brackets and tools afterword. I'm guessing someone at the factory got a little torque-happy with an impact...

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 12:32 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
My BB is creaking a bit on my '19 smuggled so I brought it to my shop to swap out. Too lazy to do it myself. My mechanic told me that the BB is completely fused to my frame. Cannot be removed even with high powered tools. Came from factory like that, I didn't touch it once. Essentially makes my frame useless if it cant be removed and my bb bearings are toast. Anyone else have or heard of a similar issue? Contacting transition to see if it would be a warranty issue or not.

Had this happen on 2 different alloy transition patrols (I work at a dealer). Was eventually able to get them off after doing a considerable amount of damage to the bottom bracket splines and my tools. Also had to re-tap BB threads afterword. Transition credited us for new bottom brackets and tools afterword. I'm guessing someone at the factory got a little torque-happy with an impact...
I've never met a BB that I couldn't easily remove with a 24" pipe wrench.

As for the creaking the first place to check is the lowest pivot bearings near the BB.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 13:07 Quote
Heard from transition today. Some of the early run 2019 frames have had stuck BB issues and they'll send me a new front triangle if I want. Going to try some of the above suggestions but only will escalate it if it truly needs a new bb.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 13:34 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
Heard from transition today. Some of the early run 2019 frames have had stuck BB issues and they'll send me a new front triangle if I want. Going to try some of the above suggestions but only will escalate it if it truly needs a new bb.
My frames an early 2019 and the BB was super tight. I stripped the spline on the DUB Bb and had to use a pipe wrench to remove it. I initially thought I'd just bought a cheap bb tool but perhaps not.

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 15:54 Quote
photo

New rig built up and ready to ride. Just waiting on a broken finger to heal up so I can properly test it.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 18:08 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
My frames an early 2019 and the BB was super tight. I stripped the spline on the DUB Bb and had to use a pipe wrench to remove it. I initially thought I'd just bought a cheap bb tool but perhaps not.

Yeah I tried to used a park tool bb remover and rounded the shit out of the wrench fitting part trying to get it off.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 18:44 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
panaphonic wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:

Yeah I tried to used a park tool bb remover and rounded the shit out of the wrench fitting part trying to get it off.

Yep, that's what happened to ours. It would help if the Park tool was made out of steel instead of aluminum.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 11:21 Quote
One more quick cable routing question for my 2016 carbon patrol...

The brake and shifter werent bad, per what you guys said here, but the dropper looks like it could be a PITA.

Anyone take this guys approach? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4wpZt-nCu8

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 12:05 Quote
BrennanHuff wrote:

The brake and shifter werent bad, per what you guys said here, but the dropper looks like it could be a PITA.

Yep, before I picked up a Park Tool routing kit I did this. Taking the rocker pivot bolt out isn't totally necessary but makes it easier. I for sure couldn't make that sharp bend at the bottom of the down tube with the bb still in the frame thought.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 12:33 Quote
urinalmint wrote:
BrennanHuff wrote:

Yep, before I picked up a Park Tool routing kit I did this. Taking the rocker pivot bolt out isn't totally necessary but makes it easier. I for sure couldn't make that sharp bend at the bottom of the down tube with the bb still in the frame thought.

Thanks man, thats what i was worried about, haha. I can always pull the BB, but I dont feel like it, lol.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 15:26 Quote
Curious what air pressure Patrol owners are running in their rear shocks? I am 210LBS in my gear and I am running 170lbs of air pressure to get a 25% sag rate

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 23:50 Quote
BrennanHuff wrote:
urinalmint wrote:
BrennanHuff wrote:

Thanks man, thats what i was worried about, haha. I can always pull the BB, but I dont feel like it, lol.

2016 Patrol Carbon. I bought this used frame and the tits tube had 'burst' at the BB elbow/bend (could just reach inside to feel what was happening & used a cheap android endoscope). It was sending the cable outer out of the burst & under the main pivot. The general advice is to lube the hose/outer and ram it though making it go round this bend, well I'm guessing that's what someone has done on my frame and maybe pushed a bit too hard. I ended up making a loop on a string tool to fish the outer up the seat tube. Cost me about 3 hours

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 19:20 Quote
sup.

need your opinion, there's this 65km race that i'll be joining this august. was contemplating if the patrol will be okay to use or im better off with an xc hardtail bike. i know fitness is an issue as well but im quite enjoying the patrol on dirt rather than the xc bike, im not after any podium spot, will just be glad to finish the race in under 9 hrs.

trail is mostly fire road, loose dirt, rocks with long uphill and descents.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014845
Mobile Version of Website