Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 19:40 Quote
corollafreak wrote:
sup.

need your opinion, there's this 65km race that i'll be joining this august. was contemplating if the patrol will be okay to use or im better off with an xc hardtail bike. i know fitness is an issue as well but im quite enjoying the patrol on dirt rather than the xc bike, im not after any podium spot, will just be glad to finish the race in under 9 hrs.

trail is mostly fire road, loose dirt, rocks with long uphill and descents.

Where I live there is a 100km event held every year (with a 55km shorter option). The last two years I've done the full 100km on the Scout, this year coming I'll be attempting it on the Patrol. I think it should be doable, but will change the bike a little bit to help.

I think you'll be ok if you pick lighter XC tyres for it and pace yourself. Tyres make the biggest difference in my opinion. Use the shock mode switch if you have to do put it in trail or lock mode. Or if not, run the rear a bit firmer.

It won't be a podium bike unless you're on PEDs Smile But I'm sure you'll find you won't be last and you'll have more fun on the downs.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 20:06 Quote
mrtoodles wrote:
corollafreak wrote:
sup.

need your opinion, there's this 65km race that i'll be joining this august. was contemplating if the patrol will be okay to use or im better off with an xc hardtail bike. i know fitness is an issue as well but im quite enjoying the patrol on dirt rather than the xc bike, im not after any podium spot, will just be glad to finish the race in under 9 hrs.

Where I live there is a 100km event held every year (with a 55km shorter option). The last two years I've done the full 100km on the Scout, this year coming I'll be attempting it on the Patrol. I think it should be doable, but will change the bike a little bit to help.

I think you'll be ok if you pick lighter XC tyres for it and pace yourself. Tyres make the biggest difference in my opinion. Use the shock mode switch if you have to do put it in trail or lock mode. Or if not, run the rear a bit firmer.

It won't be a podium bike unless you're on PEDs Smile But I'm sure you'll find you won't be last and you'll have more fun on the downs.

thanks for the tip. strongly considering the patrol, tho some are saying im better off with a hardtail xc to lessen the suffering on the uphills and long pedal sections.

current tire setup on my patrol is magic mary front and hans dampf on the rear. not designed for epic rides but i think it'll hold up ok as well for epic rides.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 22:04 Quote
Is there any fast and/or spicy sections? Anywhere to let the Patrol stretch its legs? If not I'd take the hard tail. I've ridden my patrol on a couple of xc rides this year and it wasn't ideal. Descents that were too flat, lots of tight trees and corners and lots of lugging a big heavy bike for no benefit.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 23:47 Quote
corollafreak wrote:
sup.

I have put some 50km 2500m rides on my patrol with DH tires. It kinda sucked but I think 90% of the reason is sucked was the tires. Throw a set of light casing fast rolling tires on there and you will be fine!

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 2:14 Quote
thanks for the advice. might have to settle with the hardtail for this event.

quite sad as i consider the patrol as my primary bike and this event that i'll be joining is the most epic ride i'll be joining to date.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 2:45 Quote
A 90 minute ride on a hard tail would do me in , the patrol would be a wiser choice after a few hours

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 3:11 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
Curious what air pressure Patrol owners are running in their rear shocks? I am 210LBS in my gear and I am running 170lbs of air pressure to get a 25% sag rate

I’m 215lbs and run 30% sag, 205psi.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 7:04 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
Curious what air pressure Patrol owners are running in their rear shocks? I am 210LBS in my gear and I am running 170lbs of air pressure to get a 25% sag rate

Little under 180# with 160psi in the monarch+ for 33~35% sag. I ran 168 before full service on the monarch, it's more supportive now somehow. 3 volume bands, bottom every ride.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 7:56 Quote
I made a couple prototype bearing presses at work yesterday for the smaller bearings on the rear of my patrol. I basically copied the old press that Transition used to sell. I might make a few more if anyone is interested.

I still cant figure out how to post pictures to the forum but there are pictures in my profile.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 8:51 Quote
corollafreak wrote:
sup.

I had a race somewhat recently which ended up being 122 km. I was in the middle of building my Smuggler so I had to ride my Slash. I have my Slash set up with DHF, High Roller DD casing, and a CC coil. Granted, it was in Pisgah National Forest so I had some great descents, it was still miles of fire road/gravel. The suck was real, but I completed it. You may be okay on your Patrol.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 9:33 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
I made a couple prototype bearing presses at work yesterday for the smaller bearings on the rear of my patrol. I basically copied the old press that Transition used to sell. I might make a few more if anyone is interested.

I still cant figure out how to post pictures to the forum but there are pictures in my profile.
↓↓↓↓
Bearing press

Nice...that should get the job done.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 9:58 Quote
airtym wrote:
buddymtb wrote:

I’m 215lbs and run 30% sag, 205psi.
I forgot to mention I have three tokens in my shock.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 10:00 Quote
Who are running chainrings in the 34t range on their sentinel? How does that effect the pedaling and ride.

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 22:36 Quote

This thing is unreal.

Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 7:17 Quote
What are folk seeing 2017 carbon patrol frames going for 2nd hand?
I got a large that im considering selling (metric with shock).
Something in the region of 900-1200 sensible?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015486
Mobile Version of Website