Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 6:19 Quote
GlassGuy wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
panaphonic wrote:
The Patrol climbs well if you're seated and smooth. But I've come to the conclusion that my SBG is the worst bike I've ever sprinted on. Pre sbg Patrols weren't as bad but still not great. I had a lapierre Froggy with 180mm front and rear that sprinted much much better than my Patrol. Of course it's seated climbing and bump absorbtion wasn't near as good as a Patrol.

I agree with this, most other transition riders think I'm crazy, but yeah out of the saddle sprinting is a mess on this bike. My 2017 Kona Process 153 was a better sprinter. It's still an excellent bike though. The SBG climbing ability seems to be a lot more about geometry than linkage platform, which is good because the suspension is left un-hindered for descending.

I can't comment so much on the Patrol as I have two Scouts (old and new), but they are basically the same bike, and I'm not in love with the SBG comparing to the old bike. In my opinion Transition took away what made the Scout such an awesomely fun bike and turned it into, well...a normal mtn bike. I'm going to assume the Patrol has had similar changes in feel.
On the SBG bike I did remove the 37mm low offset fork and put on a "normal" offset of 44mm...this changed the steering, made it more lively and I don't have that awful wheel tuck that wants to make you go over the bars. I find it odd that Transition added about an inch to the TT on the size Large then creates a shorter wheelbase with the low offset....why even lengthen the bike?

They slackened the head angles on all the SBG bikes and decreased the offset to reign in the wheelbase a bit. They lengthened the wheelbase at the frame instead of at the fork if that makes sense. But I also love the SBG geo, so don’t wanna come off as a fanboy

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 6:48 Quote
chunter wrote:
GlassGuy wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:

I agree with this, most other transition riders think I'm crazy, but yeah out of the saddle sprinting is a mess on this bike. My 2017 Kona Process 153 was a better sprinter. It's still an excellent bike though. The SBG climbing ability seems to be a lot more about geometry than linkage platform, which is good because the suspension is left un-hindered for descending.

I can't comment so much on the Patrol as I have two Scouts (old and new), but they are basically the same bike, and I'm not in love with the SBG comparing to the old bike. In my opinion Transition took away what made the Scout such an awesomely fun bike and turned it into, well...a normal mtn bike. I'm going to assume the Patrol has had similar changes in feel.
On the SBG bike I did remove the 37mm low offset fork and put on a "normal" offset of 44mm...this changed the steering, made it more lively and I don't have that awful wheel tuck that wants to make you go over the bars. I find it odd that Transition added about an inch to the TT on the size Large then creates a shorter wheelbase with the low offset....why even lengthen the bike?

They slackened the head angles on all the SBG bikes and decreased the offset to reign in the wheelbase a bit. They lengthened the wheelbase at the frame instead of at the fork if that makes sense. But I also love the SBG geo, so don’t wanna come off as a fanboy
Yep, I was aware of that, but why lengthen the wheelbase to then decrease it with the lessened offset of the fork? It's as if they realized after the fact they made the bike longer than they meant to and rather than adjust the tubes they slapped on a fork to compensate. And these opinions are coming from someone that could be a called a Fanboy because the Scout was the reason I sold all my other bikes. I kept cracking the older one and was encouraged by the guys are Transition to get an '18 because they're "burlier", but I didn't have an idea it would feel so much different. Everyone likes different things in a bike so no one's opinion is wrong....but I feel like they removed what had made their bikes so different and fun(or at least the Scout)

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 6:55 Quote
GlassGuy wrote:
chunter wrote:
GlassGuy wrote:

Yep, I was aware of that, but why lengthen the wheelbase to then decrease it with the lessened offset of the fork? It's as if they realized after the fact they made the bike longer than they meant to and rather than adjust the tubes they slapped on a fork to compensate. And these opinions are coming from someone that could be a called a Fanboy because the Scout was the reason I sold all my other bikes. I kept cracking the older one and was encouraged by the guys are Transition to get an '18 because they're "burlier", but I didn't have an idea it would feel so much different. Everyone likes different things in a bike so no one's opinion is wrong....but I feel like they removed what had made their bikes so different and fun(or at least the Scout)

Exactly right, there’s no wrong or right, just personal preference. I can’t comment on the scout or anything other than 29ers really, but slack HTA and the 51mm offset makes for a sloppy front end. If we want to talk about shortcuts, look no further than the Ibis Ripmo. They stuck with a “traditional” HTA and then the short offset craze hit and they decided they had to jump on and just specced a 44mm because they had to. Transition knew exactly what they were doing when they designed the bike from the ground up, geo wise anyway

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 1:40 Quote
Just came back from another Pila trip in Italy, this bike rips. Still makes me grin after two years...managed a hike a bike to the top of the ridgeline which was mint!

Got a trip in to La Thuille again aswell, gnarly trails there!

Transition Patrol 2017

Transition Patrol 2017

Bottom of the Pila Aosta freeride - Rientro

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 13:13 Quote
Could someone with a 2018/19 size medium alloy patrol or sentinel measure the maximum dropper insertion? They have it on their website but it hasn't been accurate before. Thanks.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 13:16 Quote
danielwest330 wrote:
Could someone with a 2018/19 size medium alloy patrol or sentinel measure the maximum dropper insertion? They have it on their website but it hasn't been accurate before. Thanks.
I was able to fit a 170mm PNW Bachlor if that helps.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 14:33 Quote
Looked like an epic trip chrissywaddle , I have the same bike and am blown away by it ! However , been thinking about the 2019 fox Susp’d one ,so hired one for a day in morzine but effing broke my collarbone the day before . Can anyone explain what the differences are pls ? 2017 and 2019

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 2:56 Quote
Matt115lamb wrote:
Looked like an epic trip chrissywaddle , I have the same bike and am blown away by it ! However , been thinking about the 2019 fox Susp’d one ,so hired one for a day in morzine but effing broke my collarbone the day before . Can anyone explain what the differences are pls ? 2017 and 2019

That's a bummer mate! We went 2 years ago and did Morzine/Les Gets so time for a change next time, Vallnord probably.

I'd be up for a go on the new SBG bikes, bit longer etc...

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 13:05 Quote
Hi all,

There was a previous post in this thread about a chap whose BB had fused into his new 2019 Patrol frame. He said Transition had sent him a new frame and said multiple early runs had this issue.
I have a 2019 Scout and thought I'd get a Hope BB installed while I was having other work done. They confirmed that if I'd left it another 6 months the OEM Dub BB wouldn't have come out. They had real trouble getting it out as it was as the threads had no grease/antiseize on them.

If you have 2019 bike, I'd recommend taking your BB out asap to check.

Happy biking.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 13:01 Quote
First time I took out the bb on my 19 Patrol was a shlt time. Put in there so tight its frustrating. Glad thats out of the way.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 6:05 Quote
Hello,
Did any of you tried to fit a non boost chainring into a 2018-19 Scout?
I'll receive my frame shortly and wanted to keep my 142mm Hope weels so there is Two options :
- I can use a 3mm + 3mm adapter with a non boost chainring (if I put a boost ring the chainline will be f* up but the non boost may touch the frame :/ )
- I have to use a 6mm adapter on brake side with boost chainring (and redish the wheel Frown )

Tanks tup

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
Never done ghetto nonboost hubs to boost drop outs, but nonboost chainrings in boost frames are a PITA. Like you said chainline isnt the best, hella spacers on the driveside bb, not idea.

You can make it work, but imo just get a boost wheelset. Why put an old set in a bnew frame.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
kosumo wrote:
Hello,
I'll receive my frame shortly and wanted to keep my 142mm Hope weels so there is Two options :
- I can use a 3mm + 3mm adapter with a non boost chainring (if I put a boost ring the chainline will be f* up but the non boost may touch the frame :/ )
- I have to use a 6mm adapter on brake side with boost chainring (and redish the wheel Frown )

Tanks tup

I've got hope 142 hubs with a boost adapter, a race face aefect crank set, non-boost, with a boost spaced one up chainring, on my patrol, and it works fine. Crank arms could be a little farther from the chain stay, but it hasn't been a problem.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
kosumo wrote:
Hello,

Tanks tup

I've got boost adapters on my wheelset and a non-boost ring. Works fine mostly. Shifting is great, ring doesn't contact the frame or the cable, but it doesn't back pedal very well. Otherwise, it works very well. It's a temporary setup for me though.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
danielwest330 wrote:

My OneUp V1 170mm dropper will go into the frame all the way to the collar on my '19 carbon medium Patrol. According to OneUp, that's 243mm. Transition website claims 225mm max insertion.
(I know the alloy is different, but hope that helps.)

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024358
Mobile Version of Website