Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Author Message
Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 21:18 Quote
Not to mention some legit herra low standovers, Im loving it. Size for size my L Patrol is about 70mm lower than my L Slash. Insane. Its ridiculous.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 6:00 Quote
groghunter wrote:
I've got hope 142 hubs with a boost adapter, a race face aefect crank set, non-boost, with a boost spaced one up chainring, on my patrol, and it works fine. Crank arms could be a little farther from the chain stay, but it hasn't been a problem.

mbc4386 wrote:
I've got boost adapters on my wheelset and a non-boost ring. Works fine mostly. Shifting is great, ring doesn't contact the frame or the cable, but it doesn't back pedal very well. Otherwise, it works very well. It's a temporary setup for me though.

Thanks dudes.
Just received my frame, will share pictures when my build is done Beer .

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 8:19 Quote
I honestly don't notice a difference between the fork offsets on my last three bikes. I went from a 51mm, to a 46mm, and now 42mm offset. All 29er forks. The steering, input, cornering, etc, all feel the same to me. But my Smuggler rides better than my previous Jeffsy, and far better than the Niner I had before that. So there's certainly something to this new geometry. It's also rad that you can get 2.5 DHFs in reliable casing without being too heavy and use them on trail bikes. When I started riding like 5-6 years ago, tires that wide and gnarly were DH casing only, weighed like 8lbs each, and nobody was running them on their pedal bikes (at least in my area of BC). Geo and decent tires are more important than high-end suspension these days, in my opinion.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 9:09 Quote
tricyclerider wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
jackspice wrote:
Agree or disagree? SBG set a new standard for geometry. While brands might not say it, look at how brands like Yeti are reducing fork offsets and are using a kinked downtube to get a steeper seat tube angle.
Kona also used redused offset forks on their bikes a while ago, a friend owns an early 2016 kona process 153 wiith 42mm offset, kona never used the redused offset as in marketing though, it's one of the reasons those damn bikes handle so well without being to slack and excessively long. Now everything gets slackerer and shortere r at the offset Smile ????????????????????
correct me if I’m wrong here but 42mm is a standard offset for a 27.5 fork. Transition dropped that number to 37 which is the reduced offset for a 27.5 fork
It used to be 37 for 26ers 46 for 27.5 and 51 29ers it went a few notches down since then but concept of reducing offset isn't new.

All other bikes in my group, 27.5 are 46mm offset, exept the focus sam at 44, my jeffsy came strd with a 46mm pike. kona has the smallest offset. Also did striped and used the csu on my bike Smile

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 9:15 Quote
* bos deville fcv on the rallon was 48 for some reason

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 14:53 Quote
Has anyone needed to put volume reducers in the dpx2 on their sentinel. How does that effect the ride and suspension performance?

I am not really heavy, 160# with gear, but I really think I need at least one, I am getting some loud bottom outs on almost all of my rides and its not because I am casing jumps. I wish the leverage curve was more progressive. That and super loud chain slap are the only problems I currently have.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 15:28 Quote
EKrum wrote:
Has anyone needed to put volume reducers in the dpx2 on their sentinel. How does that effect the ride and suspension performance?

I am not really heavy, 160# with gear, but I really think I need at least one, I am getting some loud bottom outs on almost all of my rides and its not because I am casing jumps. I wish the leverage curve was more progressive. That and super loud chain slap are the only problems I currently have.

Yes, definitely put in a bigger volume token. The 2018 came with a 0.6 token. The 2019s come with the 0.9. I have a 2018, and immediately went up to the 0.9. I emailed Transition because I was still having issues with bottoming harshly, and they said absolutely step up to the 1.0 if needed.

FYI, as a 170 lb (without gear) rider the settings I'm running that were provided by Transition are: 185 psi (19mm seated sag), 1.0 token, 10 clicks CCW rebound, 4 clicks CCW LSC.

I haven't noticed chainslap.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 15:55 Quote
andeh23 wrote:
EKrum wrote:
Has anyone needed to put volume reducers in the dpx2 on their sentinel. How does that effect the ride and suspension performance?

I am not really heavy, 160# with gear, but I really think I need at least one, I am getting some loud bottom outs on almost all of my rides and its not because I am casing jumps. I wish the leverage curve was more progressive. That and super loud chain slap are the only problems I currently have.

Yes, definitely put in a bigger volume token. The 2018 came with a 0.6 token. The 2019s come with the 0.9. I have a 2018, and immediately went up to the 0.9. I emailed Transition because I was still having issues with bottoming harshly, and they said absolutely step up to the 1.0 if needed.

FYI, as a 170 lb (without gear) rider the settings I'm running that were provided by Transition are: 185 psi (19mm seated sag), 1.0 token, 10 clicks CCW rebound, 4 clicks CCW LSC.

I haven't noticed chainslap.

Thats good to know, I only notice the chain slap only on flow trails where high speed trail vibration seems to make the chain do crazy things.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 18:45 Quote
EKrum wrote:
andeh23 wrote:
EKrum wrote:
Has anyone needed to put volume reducers in the dpx2 on their sentinel. How does that effect the ride and suspension performance?

I am not really heavy, 160# with gear, but I really think I need at least one, I am getting some loud bottom outs on almost all of my rides and its not because I am casing jumps. I wish the leverage curve was more progressive. That and super loud chain slap are the only problems I currently have.

Yes, definitely put in a bigger volume token. The 2018 came with a 0.6 token. The 2019s come with the 0.9. I have a 2018, and immediately went up to the 0.9. I emailed Transition because I was still having issues with bottoming harshly, and they said absolutely step up to the 1.0 if needed.

FYI, as a 170 lb (without gear) rider the settings I'm running that were provided by Transition are: 185 psi (19mm seated sag), 1.0 token, 10 clicks CCW rebound, 4 clicks CCW LSC.

I haven't noticed chainslap.

Thats good to know, I only notice the chain slap only on flow trails where high speed trail vibration seems to make the chain do crazy things.

If this is your first 12 speed, be aware that it's more prevalent on them than it was on 11. there was a pic of nino schurter's bike when eagle first came out, where his chain is almost touching ground.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 0:00 Quote
re 150mm. Was at Trans Provence and asked some of the transition boys and they mentioned having a prototype at the moment. That was begining of June, don't any more than that .

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 13:26 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
tricyclerider wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

Kona also used redused offset forks on their bikes a while ago, a friend owns an early 2016 kona process 153 wiith 42mm offset, kona never used the redused offset as in marketing though, it's one of the reasons those damn bikes handle so well without being to slack and excessively long. Now everything gets slackerer and shortere r at the offset Smile ????????????????????
correct me if I’m wrong here but 42mm is a standard offset for a 27.5 fork. Transition dropped that number to 37 which is the reduced offset for a 27.5 fork
It used to be 37 for 26ers 46 for 27.5 and 51 29ers it went a few notches down since then but concept of reducing offset isn't new.

All other bikes in my group, 27.5 are 46mm offset, exept the focus sam at 44, my jeffsy came strd with a 46mm pike. kona has the smallest offset. Also did striped and used the csu on my bike Smile

I've gotten into this discussion quite a bit(or, I created a bitch session)...as an owner of a first generation Scout and now an '18 SBG Scout that came with the 37mm offset fork, it's my opinion Transition ruined what made the Scout so appealing to myself and others.
I noticed a difference in how the two bikes felt back to back...the older Scout is like a BMX bike for trails..snappy, poppy, loose...the '18 felt sluggish, dull, boring. I figured it was just my not-quite-finished-set up, and I also knew the bike is about an inch longer than the old one. On my first full day with the '18 Scout on the trail I've ridden hundreds of times and with a bunch of different bikes, I went over the bars on a little pop jump into a small downhill line I never had any issue with...the front wheel snagged and I was thrown into a pile of large rocks resulting in a hand injury that kept me out of a race I was training for.
Upon reading further I saw people mention the front wheel would tuck under in a sharp turn. So I swapped forks...44 and 37...the fork change made a big difference in how the bikes handled. I sold the 37 fork and got another 44 and I like the new Scout a lot better, but in my opinion they should've left it alone...I still prefer the older one.
So, I think the low offset is a negative on this bike, and until this bike I hadn't ever considered fork offset.
With that being said, if I hadn't had expectations on ride quality and a base from which to measure the new bike then I may have thought it to be just fine. But, I kept snapping the old Scout and was told the '18 is more burly, but I hadn't anticipated the changes.
Anyways, that's my two cents on fork offset and is definitely affects how a bike handles.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 14:50 Quote
There's more than a few journalists out there will tell you that the switch in offset is barely noticeable having compared the two offsets back to back. The fork offset wasn't the only thing that changed between the 17 and 18 Scouts. I still think you're reading too much into it and you're mostly feeling a placebo. But if it works, more power to you.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 16:36 Quote
kingtut87 wrote:
There's more than a few journalists out there will tell you that the switch in offset is barely noticeable having compared the two offsets back to back. The fork offset wasn't the only thing that changed between the 17 and 18 Scouts. I still think you're reading too much into it and you're mostly feeling a placebo. But if it works, more power to you.
So you're giving me that judgement based on what you've read from "journalists". You don't know how these people ride..I don't ride straight and avoid things...I like jumping off anything I can find, quick, responsive handling in tight areas(hence I love the older Scout so much)
I rode the bike...I didn't like how it felt, so much so that I was considering selling the bike I had just purchased! But, I swapped the forks and it felt quite different, so I sold an $1100 fork(for $450) for the sole purpose of getting a fork with more offset.
I did this experiment over a period of about two weeks....I changed stem lengths, stack heights.... I fiddled with fork and shock settings. Last thing I wanted to do was have to buy a different fork. But maybe you're right...it was an impulse thing and I don't put any thought or experience into my decisions.
And I'm very aware of the other changes to the bike, and also why I think they kind of messed up what the Scout was up until 18.
Until you've done it yourself and it's more than what you've read somewhere, you have no basis for judgement.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 16:52 Quote
bigquotesYou don't know how these people ride

I do, because I know some of them personally....

bigquotesresponsive handling in tight areas

The wheelbase probably has more effect on that the handling than the fork offset.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 17:22 Quote
kingtut87 wrote:
bigquotesYou don't know how these people ride

I do, because I know some of them personally....

bigquotesresponsive handling in tight areas

The wheelbase probably has more effect on that the handling than the fork offset.
I will also add that I contacted Transition to see if my experiences were solely personal or if other people felt the same way...the first guy to respond to me agreed that the bike doesn't handle as fun as it did and the second response was almost defensive and he even mentioned the offset and also suggested an angleset.
Yes, again..I am aware of the wheelbase and yes I'm sure it has something to do with the handling, but again..the bike handled differently with the fork change...low offset...slow turning, wheel wants to tuck under in sharp turns(noted by others)..Normal offset fork...sharper turning, more lively.
These things add up, work in conjunction, and I wanted the new bike to feel more like the old Scout...that's why I got it, to have a second Scout since I have cracked the original 3 times.

And great..you know them personally, but again...have you actually ridden it YOURSELF??? Apparently not, so you have no argument against my experience with two bikes that i own and ride daily.
I'm merely sharing my personal experience with actual comparisons I've done with my bikes..I have as much value as your journalist friends, because I'm a rider.
You don't have to agree with me, I didn't post this to argue about what other people have supposedly thought.
Maybe it's your belief that there can't possibly be anyone else with varying opinions/experiences and abilities to discern nuances besides yourself and your journalist friends...that's the same argument that people have about pizza and why X pizza is suuposedly better than Z pizza..it's an opinion. I like X pizza because it tastes better to ME, not because someone told me it's better. I like the Scout better with the normal offset because I feel it rides better for ME, not because I was told otherwise.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012855
Mobile Version of Website