Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 20:05 Quote
wrote:
GlassGuy wrote:

The wheelbase probably has more effect on that the handling than the fork offset.
I will also add that I contacted Transition to see if my experiences were solely personal or if other people felt the same way...the first guy to respond to me agreed that the bike doesn't handle as fun as it did and the second response was almost defensive and he even mentioned the offset and also suggested an angleset.
Yes, again..I am aware of the wheelbase and yes I'm sure it has something to do with the handling, but again..the bike handled differently with the fork change...low offset...slow turning, wheel wants to tuck under in sharp turns(noted by others)..Normal offset fork...sharper turning, more lively.
These things add up, work in conjunction, and I wanted the new bike to feel more like the old Scout...that's why I got it, to have a second Scout since I have cracked the original 3 times.

And great..you know them personally, but again...have you actually ridden it YOURSELF??? Apparently not, so you have no argument against my experience with two bikes that i own and ride daily.
I'm merely sharing my personal experience with actual comparisons I've done with my bikes..I have as much value as your journalist friends, because I'm a rider.
You don't have to agree with me, I didn't post this to argue about what other people have supposedly thought.
Maybe it's your belief that there can't possibly be anyone else with varying opinions/experiences and abilities to discern nuances besides yourself and your journalist friends...that's the same argument that people have about pizza and why X pizza is suuposedly better than Z pizza..it's an opinion. I like X pizza because it tastes better to ME, not because someone told me it's better. I like the Scout better with the normal offset because I feel it rides better for ME, not because I was told otherwise.

I don't know if your right or wrong, but I'll tell ya, it's getting a little old having you grandstand about it every other page of this thread. We get it, you don't like it. Move on. Buy a different bike, they're not going to change it for you since you're obviously in the minority.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 23:37 Quote
GlassGuy wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
tricyclerider wrote:
correct me if I’m wrong here but 42mm is a standard offset for a 27.5 fork. Transition dropped that number to 37 which is the reduced offset for a 27.5 fork
It used to be 37 for 26ers 46 for 27.5 and 51 29ers it went a few notches down since then but concept of reducing offset isn't new.

All other bikes in my group, 27.5 are 46mm offset, exept the focus sam at 44, my jeffsy came strd with a 46mm pike. kona has the smallest offset. Also did striped and used the csu on my bike Smile

I've gotten into this discussion quite a bit(or, I created a bitch session)...as an owner of a first generation Scout and now an '18 SBG Scout that came with the 37mm offset fork, it's my opinion Transition ruined what made the Scout so appealing to myself and others.
I noticed a difference in how the two bikes felt back to back...the older Scout is like a BMX bike for trails..snappy, poppy, loose...the '18 felt sluggish, dull, boring. I figured it was just my not-quite-finished-set up, and I also knew the bike is about an inch longer than the old one. On my first full day with the '18 Scout on the trail I've ridden hundreds of times and with a bunch of different bikes, I went over the bars on a little pop jump into a small downhill line I never had any issue with...the front wheel snagged and I was thrown into a pile of large rocks resulting in a hand injury that kept me out of a race I was training for.
Upon reading further I saw people mention the front wheel would tuck under in a sharp turn. So I swapped forks...44 and 37...the fork change made a big difference in how the bikes handled. I sold the 37 fork and got another 44 and I like the new Scout a lot better, but in my opinion they should've left it alone...I still prefer the older one.
So, I think the low offset is a negative on this bike, and until this bike I hadn't ever considered fork offset.
With that being said, if I hadn't had expectations on ride quality and a base from which to measure the new bike then I may have thought it to be just fine. But, I kept snapping the old Scout and was told the '18 is more burly, but I hadn't anticipated the changes.
Anyways, that's my two cents on fork offset and is definitely affects how a bike handles.

Same experience here, when changed fork offsets just to expirement, but I like my bikes to handle like a tank, it needs more effort to turn but it's more steady and sure footed on rough fast single trail, intead of pinballing all the time and trying to get it back on track, the lesser offset is less prone to change direction when you hit ruts and roots. But at slow speed tight turns it's not willing to follow, it's a compromise I guess

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 12:34 Quote
2018 Patrol Alloy. Bought this bike new back in May on a whim at a ridiculous close out price from a local shop. Was not sure at first if I would ever like this bike or even keep it, but after sticking with it and playing with the set-up and the suspension, I now love this bike. It took a while to get used to the geometry and fork offset but now I am reaping the joys of ripping on this bike.

I normally ride enduro bikes as that is what I enjoy, but I also have a YT jeffsy 27.5 carbon bike for climbing and flowy trails. Never thought the Patrol would climb as well as the Jeffsy, but to my surprise it does. Even with all the extra weight of this bike and the long travel suspension, it climbs really well. It does take a little more finesse on really tight uphill switchbacks, but once I got the bike set-up it handles them well.

The thing that helped me the most was to add a 10 degree riser stem. The drop is really big on this bike and even with all the spacers under the stem, it was still a little low for me which put to much weight on the front tire causing it to dive under a little on really tight turns. The bikes geometry already weights the front tire well so adding the riser stem really made a difference for me in handling and stability.

With the riser stem, the bike just rails the corners at high speed without a need to shift your weight onto the front tire like most other bikes. It is now super stable on really chunky downhill runs and takes big drops and jumps with ease. It also carries speed like crazy and rolls away from my riding partner who has a 29r enduro bike.

Really glad I stuck with this bike as I am now equaling or besting my PR's on the enduro runs with less effort and a greater margin for error in the crazy stuff due to the bikes stable geometry and ability to huck and pop so well off of crazy features in the trail.

On the suspension side, I went with 30% sag on the rear shock at 180 psi and 25% on the front at 100 psi. These pressures gave me the best support on the trail while still maintaining low speed sensitivity and high speed progression. I am running the rear shock high speed compression at 2 clicks from full open and the front fork is 4 clicks from fully open. I found this bike likes a lot of high speed compression which really makes it perform much better.

Hope this helps other Patrol owners with their set-ups and ability to enjoy the full potential of their bikes.

I am now a Transition convert.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 8:57 Quote
Anyone having weird vibration noise from the rear when braking ?

I got a 2016 carbon Patrol with Shimano Saint brakes (180mm XT Ice tech rotor), and when under light braking, it sounds like the rear triangle resonate, it goes away if I brake harder.
All bolts are torqued up to specs.

I'm a bit of a noise freak so it's killing me Big Grin

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 10:31 Quote
TheLittleFox wrote:

I got a 2016 carbon Patrol with Shimano Saint brakes (180mm XT Ice tech rotor), and when under light braking, it sounds like the rear triangle resonate, it goes away if I brake harder.

any chance they are CL rotors? Often times the fitting on the CL rotors aren’t as tight as a 6 bolt which can cause a vibrating noise

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 14:39 Quote
It’s 6 bolts rotor. I’m not sure we’re the noise come from, I suspect the rear triangle though.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 14:55 Quote
It sounds like the rotor is out of alignment on the wheel which can happen with bolts torqued to spec if one or two were significantly tightened before the others.

Quick way to check is to back them off then go around tightening them alternate/opposing bolts at a time (same as a car wheel, like working your way in a star shape a little on each one till they're tight. It'll take a lot of passes but ensure everything is even. Good luck.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 20:30 Quote
TheLittleFox wrote:

Your caliper might be a touch angled relative tot he rotor, had something similar before.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 1:30 Quote
Thanks, I'll try that tup

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 20:45 Quote
Anyone here gone from a Patrol alloy to a Patrol Carbon frame. What were your likes and dislikes? Was it worth the money?

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 22:02 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
Anyone here gone from a Patrol alloy to a Patrol Carbon frame. What were your likes and dislikes? Was it worth the money?
I went from having an ally to carbon. Had ally for nearly 2 years, then had carbon for 2.5 years. Only went to carbon cos I cracked my ally and didn't like the color available in ally, and got offered a decent upgrade price from the distributor. The carbon does feel quicker and lighter obviously, but I loved both bikes

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 2:16 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
buddymtb wrote:
I went from having an ally to carbon. Had ally for nearly 2 years, then had carbon for 2.5 years. Only went to carbon cos I cracked my ally and didn't like the color available in ally, and got offered a decent upgrade price from the distributor. The carbon does feel quicker and lighter obviously, but I loved both bikes

Exact same experience for me, got a nice offer to upgrade from an 2015 Alloy to 2016 Carbon because of cracked chainstay.

Took some time for me to adapt, I found the carbon to be stiffer, and it require to be more "engaged", alloy was a bit more flexible and more forgiving when getting close to my limits.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 14:25 Quote
I like the carbon feel more - its stiffer and lighter obviously, but it seems to "mute" vibrations somehow. Like it doesn't reverberate or whatever and it seems calmer. In the back of my mind I'm still conscious of its lack of impact resistance around rocks and stuff though. Kind of wish they'd done what Kona did and kept the aluminium on the chainstays.

One thing worth considering, is the weight difference on the Transition bikes is much, much higher than most other manufacturers. Whereas a lot of manufacturers might save 400 - 700g going carbon, across the Transition range than number is nearly a full 1000g.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 20:57 Quote
wrote:
Took some time for me to adapt, I found the carbon to be stiffer, and it require to be more "engaged", alloy was a bit more flexible and more forgiving when getting close to my limits.

Did the carbon frame seem significantly snapier and accelerate quicker out of the corners when you stood up and really stepped on it? I love the alloy bike but it feels sluggish and slow when I really stomp on the pedals coming out of a tight corner. Climbs pretty good for such heavy bike and I know the carbon would climb even better. Just looking for more snap and acceleration out of the bike and wondering if the carbon frame added that for you ?

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 22:55 Quote
wrote:
buddymtb wrote:

Did the carbon frame seem significantly snapier and accelerate quicker out of the corners when you stood up and really stepped on it? I love the alloy bike but it feels sluggish and slow when I really stomp on the pedals coming out of a tight corner. Climbs pretty good for such heavy bike and I know the carbon would climb even better. Just looking for more snap and acceleration out of the bike and wondering if the carbon frame added that for you ?
It does to me definitely. Combine the carbon patrol with some pretty light wheels, and it feels very fast off the mark.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011985
Mobile Version of Website