Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Author Message
Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 9:24 Quote
gpgalanis wrote:
He uses 23mm not 23%. What I have done in my Sentinel was to remove the spacer and add some more air.

Ahhh... my old tired eyes... ha ha

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 8:13 Quote
Dumb question that Im asking a couple of years too late, but hoping someone remembers.

I have a 2016 alloy patrol that came with a funky rear brake adapter. It is a set of two cylindrical posts with a single wobbly washer seated on top of each cylinder. I always though it was a little jank so I finally replaced with a new shimano brake adapter. Now I can get the caliper perfectly aligned and get the bolts just tight enough to hold caliper in place, nothing rubs and it all works out fine, but when I get the bolts tight enough for riding it effectively rolls the caliper out of alignment with the disk. I messed with it for hours and no dice, it drags a lot.

I went on to try a new sram adapter and I get the same results as the shimano, so I decided just to move back to the jank adapter. The wobbly washer that sits under the caliper with this adapter allows the caliper to roll a little bit to make up for any misalignment between rotor and brake flats on the seat stay.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with their 16. My hypothesis is that Transition purposely shipped bikes with the jank adapters so as to make up for poor alignment of the seatstay brake flats. I owned a 2015 frame that did not have this problem.

I can post a picture of the 'jank' mount if anyone cares, but Im hoping someone already knows what Im talking about, lol.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 8:20 Quote
skerby wrote:
Dumb question that Im asking a couple of years too late, but hoping someone remembers.

I have a 2016 alloy patrol that came with a funky rear brake adapter. It is a set of two cylindrical posts with a single wobbly washer seated on top of each cylinder. I always though it was a little jank so I finally replaced with a new shimano brake adapter. Now I can get the caliper perfectly aligned and get the bolts just tight enough to hold caliper in place, nothing rubs and it all works out fine, but when I get the bolts tight enough for riding it effectively rolls the caliper out of alignment with the disk. I messed with it for hours and no dice, it drags a lot.

I went on to try a new sram adapter and I get the same results as the shimano, so I decided just to move back to the jank adapter. The wobbly washer that sits under the caliper with this adapter allows the caliper to roll a little bit to make up for any misalignment between rotor and brake flats on the seat stay.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with their 16. My hypothesis is that Transition purposely shipped bikes with the jank adapters so as to make up for poor alignment of the seatstay brake flats. I owned a 2015 frame that did not have this problem.

I can post a picture of the 'jank' mount if anyone cares, but Im hoping someone already knows what Im talking about, lol.

Are you tightening the bolts the brake fully locked ?

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 8:27 Quote
^ Yep. Even had a buddty come help out just to hold the brake extra tight,. I have set up a lot of brakes succesfully, including this one multiple times with the old jank adapter.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 8:32 Quote
skerby wrote:
^ Yep. Even had a buddty come help out just to hold the brake extra tight,. I have set up a lot of brakes succesfully, including this one multiple times with the old jank adapter.

Have you got a spacer between the bolt and the adapter?

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 8:35 Quote
here's my jank adapter.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 10:51 Quote
skerby wrote:
here's my jank adapter.

Use the spherical washers with the Shimano adapter. Two washers between each bolt head and the caliper.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 11:17 Quote
Lornholio wrote:
skerby wrote:
here's my jank adapter.

Use the spherical washers with the Shimano adapter. Two washers between each bolt head and the caliper.

I always use the spherical washer between the bolt and caliper. I even oil them to make sure they dont twist up when the bolt gets tightened.

Im thinking either my frame or brake caliper is not quite square anymore. So I go back to old adapter, it has spherical washer under the caliper, so that the caliper can roll a little bit to stay true with respect to the rotor.

I remember all the old Avid brakes had spherical washers under the caliper as well as on top of it, possibly to deal with tolerance issues related to caliper fitment.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 14:47 Quote
skerby wrote:
Lornholio wrote:
skerby wrote:
here's my jank adapter.

Use the spherical washers with the Shimano adapter. Two washers between each bolt head and the caliper.

I always use the spherical washer between the bolt and caliper. I even oil them to make sure they dont twist up when the bolt gets tightened.

Im thinking either my frame or brake caliper is not quite square anymore. So I go back to old adapter, it has spherical washer under the caliper, so that the caliper can roll a little bit to stay true with respect to the rotor.

I remember all the old Avid brakes had spherical washers under the caliper as well as on top of it, possibly to deal with tolerance issues related to caliper fitment.

Did you replace the pads? If you've been running it slightly canted, the pads will have worn that way, and won't work right with a straight caliper. Which is one of the reasons SRAM doesn't use the washers anymore.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 6:18 Quote
You're probably right about the pads. They are at about 50% and were used with the jank adapter. Either way, i went back to the jank adapter and everything works great. I call this the 'good' brake adaptor now, lol.

I'll try out normal brake adapter when it's time to change out the pads.

It has some serious cant.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 3:36 Quote
skerby wrote:
here's my jank adapter.
ive been using this "janky adapter" on my 2018 sentinel and they work fine

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
Nella-Bella wrote:
skerby wrote:
here's my jank adapter.
ive been using this "janky adapter" on my 2018 sentinel and they work fine

It's my favorite now bud.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 17:15 Quote
These jank adapters shouldn't be used tbh. Have seen too many caliper bolts bent from use.

If there's issues with using a regular adapter, its probably the frame mount that is having issues. Get them checked or faced by a shop

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
My new Sentinel in some rather nice surroundings in NorwayWink
My new Transition Sentinel

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
Hi I can't find anywhere for a Fox DHX2 Coil shock for a Patrol anywhere. Any ideas?


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012364
Mobile Version of Website