Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 10:19 Quote
I’m really excited about the loam shelf meter!
I hope they offer regional options such as a “decomposed granite slurry shelf meter” for the trails I ride in SoCal.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
I'm digging the blue tup

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 11:26 Quote
Was hoping for a more radical colour change for the 2nd one ! It's almost like the 2019 blue again and the grey is exactly like the 2018 Frown

Still, carbon ones looks super clean !

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 12:04 Quote
I don't get it. Obviously lots of people run coils on them and rave about it until the cows fine home, but I'm pretty sure Transition were saying don't run a coil despite the top bods at Transition doing so themselves.

Why the complete U-turn?

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 12:15 Quote
Guys, has anyone here riden a 2018/19 smuggler and a jeffsy 29er? I need opinions as I really like the smuggler but own a jeffsy, if it rides anywhere close as a jeffsy I'm not going for it!

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 12:17 Quote
veero wrote:
I don't get it. Obviously lots of people run coils on them and rave about it until the cows fine home, but I'm pretty sure Transition were saying don't run a coil despite the top bods at Transition doing so themselves.

Why the complete U-turn?

If I was guessing it's because running a coil gives a very linear suspension feel without the 'pop' that a lot of people expect from a translation frame. Why the u-turn? Market forces I'd guess.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 13:59 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Guys, has anyone here riden a 2018/19 smuggler and a jeffsy 29er? I need opinions as I really like the smuggler but own a jeffsy, if it rides anywhere close as a jeffsy I'm not going for it!

I had a 2017 Jeffsy 29 before my 2019 Smuggler. The Jeffsy, despite having more rear travel, doesn't descend as well. Super choppy ride compared to the Smuggler. I bought a Smuggler at the time because they were considerably longer than my Jeffsy. I'm 6'5 so wanted a longer bike. Smuggler had a 40mm-ish longer reach, but feels only a bit bigger because of the steeper seat tube angle. Now that Jeffsy comes in an XXL size and the other sizes have been stretched, it wouldn't be as dramatic of a change.

Jeffsy was a few pounds lighter. Transitions are fairly hefty. Even with a carbon frame. If you're concerned about weight, probably look elsewhere.

They're both trail bikes, though, so they're going to ride somewhat similarly. I find the Smuggler destroys super technical trails that a few years ago I would have been scared to ride on a longer travel enduro bike. I enjoy it riding Squamish and Whistler black and double black trails. I'm not that confident on flow or jump trails, though. Not really my thing.

I also made quite a few changes from stock, so hard to compare them directly. New wheels, dpx2 shock, higher rise bars, luftkappe in the 36, longer dropper post, etc.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 14:52 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
Wonder if they tweaked the linkage at all for the coil?

I asked them that exact question and they said no, the frame is 100% the same other than color

Which i found strange since for a while they were telling people you cannot run coils on them....

Huh. There's plenty of Patrol's out there with coils on them, including Transition staff, maybe the graphs didn't translate to the trails this time.

Oh I know, mine is one of them. But for most of the first year that they were out that was their stance.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 15:01 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:

I asked them that exact question and they said no, the frame is 100% the same other than color

Which i found strange since for a while they were telling people you cannot run coils on them....

Huh. There's plenty of Patrol's out there with coils on them, including Transition staff, maybe the graphs didn't translate to the trails this time.

Oh I know, mine is one of them. But for most of the first year that they were out that was their stance.

Where do you notice your patrol doing better than a senti?

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 16:13 Quote
TuckerBikes wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:

I, don't know? I've never really ridden a sentinel.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 17:23 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
TuckerBikes wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:

I, don't know? I've never really ridden a sentinel.

Oh, okay. I'm so indecisive between the two.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
If you huck to flat, Get a patrol. If you like going smooth and fast. Get the sentinel.

I've owned a 2016, 2017 and 2018 Patrol. Now I own a 2019 Sentinel and won't be going back. I occasionally find myself wanting more rear travel but that's because I'm not riding smooth enough.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 21:08 Quote
raisincrunch wrote:
If you huck to flat, Get a patrol. If you like going smooth and fast. Get the sentinel.

I've owned a 2016, 2017 and 2018 Patrol. Now I own a 2019 Sentinel and won't be going back. I occasionally find myself wanting more rear travel but that's because I'm not riding smooth enough.

I think I'll probably just end up going with a sentinel when they go on sale... Do you think the specs are outdated yet?

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 21:18 Quote
TuckerBikes wrote:
raisincrunch wrote:

I think I'll probably just end up going with a sentinel when they go on sale... Do you think the specs are outdated yet?

The next sentinel won't come out until april and then when it does it'll just be a new color. Specs are definitely not outdated mate, I don't think there's anything above eagle drivetrains so far or code brakes.

Suspension wise, everything for 2020 from fox is the same as 2019.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 22:53 Quote
raisincrunch wrote:
TuckerBikes wrote:
raisincrunch wrote:

The next sentinel won't come out until april and then when it does it'll just be a new color. Specs are definitely not outdated mate, I don't think there's anything above eagle drivetrains so far or code brakes.

Suspension wise, everything for 2020 from fox is the same as 2019.

I think you just swayed me. 2019 pinot noir sentinel soon.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009890
Mobile Version of Website