Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 7:30 Quote
@Buggyr333, do you know if Transition is doing anything special with the DHX2's that they are spec'ing on the Patrol? I saw a rumor somewhere that they had built some custom bottom out bumpers for the shocks that their in-house folks were running.

Curious if buying a DHX2 off the shelf will be identical, or if there is something different going on, if I can buy just a shock through Transition.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
adrenalated wrote:
@Buggyr333, do you know if Transition is doing anything special with the DHX2's that they are spec'ing on the Patrol? I saw a rumor somewhere that they had built some custom bottom out bumpers for the shocks that their in-house folks were running.

Curious if buying a DHX2 off the shelf will be identical, or if there is something different going on, if I can buy just a shock through Transition.

I'm also curious, as IME, even the DPX2 with no volume spacers was too linear for my taste. and I say that as someone who's leaned coil even in the dark years of 2008 - 2017 (never forget.)

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 8:31 Quote
adrenalated wrote:

I did not hear anything about custom bottom out bumpers. Would not surprise me since that is exactly what Avalanche recommended for my patrol. The pictures don't look like there is anything different with the bumpers. I imagine they probably have a custom tune with a fair amount of HSC added to combat harsh bottoming.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 8:35 Quote
So anyone who made the switch from air to coil on a Patrol can give a quick review ? It's pretty interesting to see Transition made the change because of the demand... But is it really worth it ?

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 8:39 Quote
GOPHOQUEYOURSELF wrote:
So anyone who made the switch from air to coil on a Patrol can give a quick review ? It's pretty interesting to see Transition made the change because of the demand... But is it really worth it ?

It was worth it to me. Even with the stock tune on the Bomber CR, which wasn't great, it was shockingly worse (pun intended) when I put my DPx2 back on it. Once I got the Bomber Avalanche Tuned it is a whole other world. On hard hits I do feel the bottom of the travel more than I did with air, but it is so infrequent that it is hardly an issue. Last time I felt it, it was because I front sided a double Redface rode through fine though.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 8:48 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
GOPHOQUEYOURSELF wrote:

It was worth it to me. Even with the stock tune on the Bomber CR, which wasn't great, it was shockingly worse (pun intended) when I put my DPx2 back on it. Once I got the Bomber Avalanche Tuned it is a whole other world. On hard hits I do feel the bottom of the travel more than I did with air, but it is so infrequent that it is hardly an issue. Last time I felt it, it was because I front sided a double Redface rode through fine though.

I done it on a 2017 patrol and it was night and day compared to the original shock but ended up on an x2 air in the end. If you use the bike for park laps or smooth shuttle road climbs with proper dh downs, coils mint. I found it hard work for everyday riding tho hence the return to the air.
Currently contemplating an x2 upgrade for my sentinel instead of the dpx2 crap. wont bother with coil, randys gone back to air too looking at his insta...

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 8:57 Quote
willaasss wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
GOPHOQUEYOURSELF wrote:

I done it on a 2017 patrol and it was night and day compared to the original shock but ended up on an x2 air in the end. If you use the bike for park laps or smooth shuttle road climbs with proper dh downs, coils mint. I found it hard work for everyday riding tho hence the return to the air.
Currently contemplating an x2 upgrade for my sentinel instead of the dpx2 crap. wont bother with coil, randys gone back to air too looking at his insta...

Yeah that's my issue, I mostly ride trails so I like my bike to be nimble and fun, but 2-3 times per month I hit the bike park with some pretty decent features. I always had air so I like it and don't really know how a coil feel, so I guess I should just stick to air.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
GOPHOQUEYOURSELF wrote:
willaasss wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:

Yeah that's my issue, I mostly ride trails so I like my bike to be nimble and fun, but 2-3 times per month I hit the bike park with some pretty decent features. I always had air so I like it and don't really know how a coil feel, so I guess I should just stick to air.

I find my coil actually pedals better than the DPx2 did, but that being said, the coil is custom tuned, so that probably has a lot to do with it. I pretty much always pedal to the top, not much shuttling around here. I only go to the bike park 2-4 times a year.

That being said, the bike park is not where I notice the benefits of the coil, air does fine on groomed bike park trails, It's the rough back-country trails that the coil shines on.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
Im waiting on the Jade X this winter. Will rep back...

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 10:15 Quote
Here is my Patrol, dirty and heavy. Just about 37lbs
Transition Patrol Lg
Transition Patrol Lg
Transition Patrol Lg
Avalanche Damper front and rear
Smashpot coil conversion
Chromag Phase 30 rims
Rimpack #sendnoodz inserts front and rear.
She's a ripper.

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 10:43 Quote
So how many of you have broken the bottom bumper in your sentinels DPX2?Mine is broken and my shop recommended upping my air pressure till I can send it into fox for an overhaul. I have the .8 spacer currently and thinking about upping to the 1.02 spacer. Has anyone done this? For reference I weigh about 160# with full kit and I don’t case ever jump.

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
EKrum, I ran my DPX2 with the 1.02 spacer (prior to getting an 11-6). The settings (that I got from a guy at Transition) were: 185 psi, 10 clicks rebound, 4 clicks LSC. I weigh about 15 lbs more than you.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 11:29 Quote
EKrum wrote:
So how many of you have broken the bottom bumper in your sentinels DPX2?Mine is broken and my shop recommended upping my air pressure till I can send it into fox for an overhaul. I have the .8 spacer currently and thinking about upping to the 1.02 spacer. Has anyone done this? For reference I weigh about 160# with full kit and I don’t case ever jump.

Out of curiosity, how did you know it was broken or that there was a problem? Or did you open it up to swap out the spacer and found the broken bumper?

As far as pressure goes, it seems a lot of riders, myself included, have found better performance from the DPX2 with more pressure and a smaller volume spacer.

On my 2018 I'm currently running 35 psi over my body weight and a 0.2 spacer. I've tried 0.8, 0.6, 0.4, 0.2 and no spacer.
With 0.4 and larger I was not getting full travel and experiencing that harsh ramp up. No spacer was no good, but 0.2 was just about right.

Also, I thought Fox does not recommend a 1.02 for this application?

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
Took my bike in for a shock service and it was the shop that informed me the bumper was broken and needed an overhaul. Was not aware of the fox recommendation to not use the 1.02 spacer. I am going to wait until after I get the shock overhauled and see how it rides after that. For reference I am usually running about 19mm sag with a pressure around 190psi (my shock pump is off).

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
adrenalated wrote:

Yes, manufacturers generally work the suspension supplier for a shock tune that works with their bikes kinematics. Call or email Transition. They'll provide you the facts.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022133
Mobile Version of Website