Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Author Message
Posted: Oct 2, 2019 at 18:42 Quote
boylagz wrote:
^Makes sense, theres no way hes racing the EWS with 140mm in the rear.

Richie rode a 127mm in 2017. Also, Marco did say that he was running 140/170 currently.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 14:44 Quote
Looking to try and get more travel out of the rear of my sentinel. Has anyone this to theirs yet? Is it possible? What shock did you use?

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 15:46 Quote
Ckrauss88 wrote:
Looking to try and get more travel out of the rear of my sentinel. Has anyone this to theirs yet? Is it possible? What shock did you use?

Not possible to do it with a stock Sentinel frame. Using a stroke longer than 57.5 will hit your frame.

What types of features are you lacking travel? Have you tried playing around with sag or tokens?

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 12:56 Quote
Hey guys! Didn’t find any post on that point... did someone tried to put 27,5 rear wheel on a sentinel and have a 29/27,5 configuration?
Quite scary about bbdrop and crankarm hits...

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 13:57 Quote
Bayo30 wrote:
Hey guys! Didn’t find any post on that point... did someone tried to put 27,5 rear wheel on a sentinel and have a 29/27,5 configuration?
Quite scary about bbdrop and crankarm hits...

Yes, I did. Do not recommend.
https://forums.mtbr.com/transition-bikes/sentinel-mullet-experiment-1110227.html

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 14:37 Quote
andeh23 wrote:
Bayo30 wrote:
Hey guys! Didn’t find any post on that point... did someone tried to put 27,5 rear wheel on a sentinel and have a 29/27,5 configuration?
Quite scary about bbdrop and crankarm hits...

Yes, I did. Do not recommend.
https://forums.mtbr.com/transition-bikes/sentinel-mullet-experiment-1110227.html


It's highly recommended to use a 27.5 bike as the starting point for a mullet since the point of a mullet is to have the benefits of a shorter, lively 27.5 rear end and the rollover of the 29er up front. That and you would be lowering the Sentinels already low BB even lower if you put a 27.5 wheel on it. A Patrol would be a good bike to Mullet but I'd never mullet a 29er frame.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 13:11 Quote
bloodytesla wrote:
I currently have a Transition Scout and I love the playfulness of it. It's great for the flow-style trails in my area. However, I find that when I want to ride rougher terrain (quickly), I'm reaching the limits of the front fork. I definitely felt the limits of the front travel when I was riding the Whole Enchilada in Moab while trying to go faster on even the conservative lines.

I'm thinking about adding a Sentinel or Patrol to the stable while also keeping the Scout. Which one of these would offer the greatest contrast to the Scout? I've read Sentinel is great at going fast down the chunky stuff (which sounds appealing) and is a 29er (which I hope brings more variety), but the 140 mm rear makes me concerned that it'll be similar to the rear capabilities of the Scout. Any insights/opinions?
Have you considered mulleting the Scout? Have a watch of https://www.bikemag.com/gear-features/bike-shop/bike-shop-27-5-rear-29-front-the-79er-trail-bike-done-right/.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 16:32 Quote
Thinking about getting an MRP Hazzard coil shock for my sentinel. Any opinions, spring rate suggestions, or whether to go for the progressive or non-progressive spring? Thanks!

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 18:34 Quote
TuckerBikes wrote:
Thinking about getting an MRP Hazzard coil shock for my sentinel. Any opinions,

I ordered one for my Patrol, I'll report back.

TuckerBikes wrote:
spring rate suggestions,

Well since you didn't give your riding weight I recommend the red ones.

TuckerBikes wrote:
or whether to go for the progressive or non-progressive spring? Thanks!

Transition frames are relatively linear and I like a poppy bike, so I went for a progressive spring, but this is going to be more of a personal preference thing.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
adrenalated wrote:
TuckerBikes wrote:
Thinking about getting an MRP Hazzard coil shock for my sentinel. Any opinions,

I ordered one for my Patrol, I'll report back.

TuckerBikes wrote:
spring rate suggestions,

Well since you didn't give your riding weight I recommend the red ones.

TuckerBikes wrote:
or whether to go for the progressive or non-progressive spring? Thanks!

Transition frames are relatively linear and I like a poppy bike, so I went for a progressive spring, but this is going to be more of a personal preference thing.

I weigh 175 kitted up, meant to add that.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 6:33 Quote
OllyHodgson wrote:
bloodytesla wrote:
I currently have a Transition Scout and I love the playfulness of it. It's great for the flow-style trails in my area. However, I find that when I want to ride rougher terrain (quickly), I'm reaching the limits of the front fork. I definitely felt the limits of the front travel when I was riding the Whole Enchilada in Moab while trying to go faster on even the conservative lines.

I'm thinking about adding a Sentinel or Patrol to the stable while also keeping the Scout. Which one of these would offer the greatest contrast to the Scout? I've read Sentinel is great at going fast down the chunky stuff (which sounds appealing) and is a 29er (which I hope brings more variety), but the 140 mm rear makes me concerned that it'll be similar to the rear capabilities of the Scout. Any insights/opinions?
Have you considered mulleting the Scout? Have a watch of https://www.bikemag.com/gear-features/bike-shop/bike-shop-27-5-rear-29-front-the-79er-trail-bike-done-right/.
Thought about doing this to my 17 carbon, no idea what offset i'd need though, any ideas ?

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 7:27 Quote
TuckerBikes wrote:
adrenalated wrote:
TuckerBikes wrote:
Thinking about getting an MRP Hazzard coil shock for my sentinel. Any opinions,

I ordered one for my Patrol, I'll report back.

TuckerBikes wrote:
spring rate suggestions,

Well since you didn't give your riding weight I recommend the red ones.

TuckerBikes wrote:
or whether to go for the progressive or non-progressive spring? Thanks!

Transition frames are relatively linear and I like a poppy bike, so I went for a progressive spring, but this is going to be more of a personal preference thing.

I weigh 175 kitted up, meant to add that.

Hopefully someone chimes in that's closer to your weight and has some actual experience, but online calculators appear to put you on a 400# or 450# spring. Which would make sense - I'm about 20# lighter, and went with a 350# spring. You could also contact MRP directly for a recommendation.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 18:52 Quote
adrenalated wrote:
TuckerBikes wrote:
adrenalated wrote:


I ordered one for my Patrol, I'll report back.



Well since you didn't give your riding weight I recommend the red ones.



Transition frames are relatively linear and I like a poppy bike, so I went for a progressive spring, but this is going to be more of a personal preference thing.

I weigh 175 kitted up, meant to add that.

Hopefully someone chimes in that's closer to your weight and has some actual experience, but online calculators appear to put you on a 400# or 450# spring. Which would make sense - I'm about 20# lighter, and went with a 350# spring. You could also contact MRP directly for a recommendation.

Thanks for the feedback! I talked to mrp, and they recommended a 450 for my riding style, I'll report back on how it feels!

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 8:56 Quote
Think Transition need to consider a UK style loam meter.... like the loam meter MAX! Lots of loam to be had at Eastridge, Shrewsbury today...

Photo

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
That there is fools loam!


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009760
Mobile Version of Website