Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 13:24 Quote
Habaden wrote:
Awesome, thanks for the write up. Do you know how to tell if you get the newer tune DPX2?

This. First I've heard of the existence of the two tunes.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 13:53 Quote
According to Lars from TR, the guy from Fox mixed up the model years. I complained about the shock being too degressive despite seemingly having a non degressive Tune according to the Fox tune ID. Lars told me he would look into it and that must be Fox engineer’s mistake but he never replied ever since. I waited couple of weeks and got myself the TTX.

So it really seems that there are some DPX shocks around with the old degressive Tune but with the new Fox ID. I also guess you can only feel that but then it’s “too late”.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 15:12 Quote
Previously had a 2016 Patrol then switched to a 2018 Scout and came back on the Patrol for 2020. Here is the new rig :

New On Coil 2020 Transition Patrol

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 23:29 Quote
PoloPix wrote:
Previously had a 2016 Patrol then switched to a 2018 Scout and came back on the Patrol for 2020. Here is the new rig :

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the 3 compared? I went from a '16 scout to a '16 patrol carbon. Both great bikes but I'd love to know what you think of the new one in comparison.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 5:38 Quote
Damn bro thats sexxxyyyyyyy

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 10:05 Quote
LIAMMCL wrote:
PoloPix wrote:

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the 3 compared? I went from a '16 scout to a '16 patrol carbon. Both great bikes but I'd love to know what you think of the new one in comparison.

Sure.

The '16 Patrol was too long for me as I bought a large and I'm 5'10'' (I was right in between the medium and large according to the size chart). I did feel that the bike was awesome for descents and go through technical stuff but I didn't find it to be very playful (probably because it was too long).

The '18 Scout was a medium and I do feel it was the most fun bike I've ever owned. The bike wanted to jump over everything, cornered so well and was good for everything. However, I thought it was a bit heavy for its purposes and decided to swap some parts to save some grams. That did help to make it even more fun ! The other ''issue'' I had with the Scout was that the limited travel slowed me a bit in rough downhill tracks and I happened to ride at lift assisted mountains more than I originally thought. The bike was optimal for flowy trails with jumps but I found myself to ride more diverse stuff.

I only had one ride on the '20 Patrol yet, but it was the bike that felt the most like a mini downhill bike while still being ok for ascension. I had a very fun ride on it and look forward to ride it more next weekend !

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 12:50 Quote
PoloPix wrote:
Sure.

The '16 Patrol was too long for me as I bought a large and I'm 5'10'' (I was right in between the medium and large according to the size chart). I did feel that the bike was awesome for descents and go through technical stuff but I didn't find it to be very playful (probably because it was too long).

The '18 Scout was a medium and I do feel it was the most fun bike I've ever owned. The bike wanted to jump over everything, cornered so well and was good for everything. However, I thought it was a bit heavy for its purposes and decided to swap some parts to save some grams. That did help to make it even more fun ! The other ''issue'' I had with the Scout was that the limited travel slowed me a bit in rough downhill tracks and I happened to ride at lift assisted mountains more than I originally thought. The bike was optimal for flowy trails with jumps but I found myself to ride more diverse stuff.

I only had one ride on the '20 Patrol yet, but it was the bike that felt the most like a mini downhill bike while still being ok for ascension. I had a very fun ride on it and look forward to ride it more next weekend !

So I assume your new Patrol is a Med? I will be checking out the Patrol and Sentinel this weekend and am in the same boat with size. Have spoken with 2 shops and Transition. 1 shop said Med while Transition and the other shop said large.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 13:11 Quote
[/Quote]
So I assume your new Patrol is a Med? I will be checking out the Patrol and Sentinel this weekend and am in the same boat with size. Have spoken with 2 shops and Transition. 1 shop said Med while Transition and the other shop said large.[/Quote]

I'm dead in the middle of a size medium. If I were in between like you guys I would definitely size up not down. A slightly larger bike would be more comfortable and fitting than cramping yourself into something a little too small. And you can always change bars and stem if you need a little more or less room. The frames SHOULD ride nearly identical between the sizes. Take out that variable and it leaves your suspension setup to tune the "playfulness"

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 15:49 Quote
5’10” with a 6’ wingspan. Went with a L Sentinel, bars cut at 770. Really happy! Was on a 17 Patrol in size L as well.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 16:00 Quote
PoloPix wrote:

Do you find it's too easy to bottom out with the coil? It's my understanding that Transitions have a pretty linear leverage curve, and the frame is the same as 2019 so I'm curious how easy it is to bottom out on that bike.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 18:47 Quote
howmaybesgo wrote:
PoloPix wrote:
Sure.

So I assume your new Patrol is a Med? I will be checking out the Patrol and Sentinel this weekend and am in the same boat with size. Have spoken with 2 shops and Transition. 1 shop said Med while Transition and the other shop said large.

Yes, the new Patrol is a medium and I would not go to a large.

Posted: Oct 30, 2019 at 8:03 Quote
Went to Outerbike this past weekend and demoed both the Patrol and Sentinel. Just put in my order yesterday for a large Sentinel. I am 5'10" with 5'10" wing span. I feel the bigger bike allows you to sit back and plow a little bit but doesn't kill the playful/poppy feeling (at least for me). Felt the same way on the Process 153 29 L I demoed. Both Sentinel and Process have 475 reach and similar ST angles.

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 0:09 Quote
steviejks wrote:
Found a good deal on a 2020 dhx2 with an sls spring. I'm 85-87 kilos with gear on and fox recommends a 350 lb spring. Seems way off to me but i might be wrong. Are there any patrol coil owners close to my weight to give me some insight? Thanks

Use this spring calculator to get close: https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator

You may still want to go up one or two sizes. Cheap steel springs are perfect for this exercise - it may take a few attempts before you get the feel and performance you are seeking.

I'm 210 lb / 95 kg with gear and rode an aftermarket 2020 dhx2 with a 500 lb SLS spring. The "bottom out" bumper, which is tiny and quite pathetic, was pinned in the bottom cup after every ride. I bottomed sh!t out of it at a bike park this summer, but that was a big huck to square edge hit - not my best work.

All and all it rode great on fast gnarly trails and provided copious amounts of traction but it really, really, sucked on jumps. I picked up a float x2 and jumping is night and day. I'm also riding faster than ever on non-jump trails with the x2 but the bike is less composed and feels more on the edge than the coil.

That being said I'm still looking for a do-it-all coil solution without spending over $1,000. You cant beat the consistency, reliability and rebuild interval of a coil. If you've got the cash I'd say go with an ext storia or arma OR a fast Fenix, as those shocks are tuned to frame, weight, and riding style and have integrated hydraulic bottom out which is pretty crucial for this platform.

I'm going to try to go the budget route with an avalanche'd marzocchi bomber cr with all of the magic tricks and a modified piggyback for carbon frame clearance here shortly. If the bomber doesn't work out I'll probably pay up for a storia or arma because the US distribution and support seems to be growing fast.

The patrol rides so good but the linear nature of the rear end is kind of a puzzle for me at the moment.

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 1:30 Quote
I'd not even take that spring calculator as a guide. I was riding a 400lb spring on my old Nukeproof Scalp and it was far too soft for me. I was spending most of my time on the bottom out bumper. So I put my details into that calculator and it was telling me I needed a 330lb spring?!?!?

I ended up buying a 450 and it was perfect.

So yeah... That spring calculator... Wouldn't bother with it.
Look at what spring you have. If you need one that's a little bit harder: go up 50lbs. A lot harder: go up 100lbs. Or the same increments for softer.

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 10:06 Quote
[Quote="PoloPix"]
LIAMMCL wrote:
PoloPix wrote:

Sure.

So between the Patrol and Sentinel, did the Sentinel seem to have more playfulness/climbing ability? On a '17 Scout and love it, but experiencing some of the same rear travel limitations on the really rough DH stuff

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025156
Mobile Version of Website