Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 10:45 Quote
I had a ‘19 scout for about a month. I loved it for the qualities mentioned above, but sold it to purchased a ‘19 patrol. At the end of the day, a 35 lb, 130mm, bike just didn’t make sense when I could be riding a patrol with many of the scout’s qualities with a whole lot more headroom for gnarly terrain.

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 10:50 Quote
Lowkey waiting on a carbon Scout...

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 12:11 Quote
boylagz wrote:
Lowkey waiting on a carbon Scout...

+1

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 18:28 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
steviejks wrote:
Found a good deal on a 2020 dhx2 with an sls spring. I'm 85-87 kilos with gear on and fox recommends a 350 lb spring. Seems way off to me but i might be wrong. Are there any patrol coil owners close to my weight to give me some insight? Thanks

Use this spring calculator to get close: https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator

You may still want to go up one or two sizes. Cheap steel springs are perfect for this exercise - it may take a few attempts before you get the feel and performance you are seeking.

I'm 210 lb / 95 kg with gear and rode an aftermarket 2020 dhx2 with a 500 lb SLS spring. The "bottom out" bumper, which is tiny and quite pathetic, was pinned in the bottom cup after every ride. I bottomed sh!t out of it at a bike park this summer, but that was a big huck to square edge hit - not my best work.

All and all it rode great on fast gnarly trails and provided copious amounts of traction but it really, really, sucked on jumps. I picked up a float x2 and jumping is night and day. I'm also riding faster than ever on non-jump trails with the x2 but the bike is less composed and feels more on the edge than the coil.

That being said I'm still looking for a do-it-all coil solution without spending over $1,000. You cant beat the consistency, reliability and rebuild interval of a coil. If you've got the cash I'd say go with an ext storia or arma OR a fast Fenix, as those shocks are tuned to frame, weight, and riding style and have integrated hydraulic bottom out which is pretty crucial for this platform.

I'm going to try to go the budget route with an avalanche'd marzocchi bomber cr with all of the magic tricks and a modified piggyback for carbon frame clearance here shortly. If the bomber doesn't work out I'll probably pay up for a storia or arma because the US distribution and support seems to be growing fast.

The patrol rides so good but the linear nature of the rear end is kind of a puzzle for me at the moment.

How are you looking for it to ride? Like the X2, but more composed?

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 19:21 Quote
BrennanHuff wrote:

How are you looking for it to ride? Like the X2, but more composed?[/Quote]

First off, best user name ever.

I'm looking for supple off the top with supportive midstroke and bottom out support from a coil shock. The float x2 has nice bottom out support but blows through mid stroke. The DHX2 was nice off the top with decent mid stroke but had no bottom out support.

Is this too much to ask?

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 20:20 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
BrennanHuff wrote:

I'm looking for supple off the top with supportive midstroke and bottom out support from a coil shock. The float x2 has nice bottom out support but blows through mid stroke. The DHX2 was nice off the top with decent mid stroke but had no bottom out support.

Is this too much to ask?[/Quote]

3 Options for this.
Push Elevensix and Storia EXT both have hydraulic bottom out.
Avalanche modded shocks can be built with progressive bottom out bumpers (which I have)
Mrp Progressive spring maybe? haven't seen many reviews on these.

I love my Avy setup, but I can't help but think the hydraulic bottom out of the Push or the storia would do an even better job.

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 21:39 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:

3 Options for this.
Avalanche modded shocks can be built with progressive bottom out bumpers (which I have)

I love my Avy setup, but I can't help but think the hydraulic bottom out of the Push or the storia would do an even better job.

I wasn't aware that the Elevensix has HBO..

Which shock did you send into Avy? Night and day difference?

Do you think its worth it to spend the extra $300 on a Storia EXT over a Bomber CR + Avy mods?

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 6:03 Quote
steviejks wrote:
Found a good deal on a 2020 dhx2 with an sls spring. I'm 85-87 kilos with gear on and fox recommends a 350 lb spring. Seems way off to me but i might be wrong. Are there any patrol coil owners close to my weight to give me some insight? Thanks

I'm 85kg with gear and ride a Sentinel with a 2020 DHX2 with a 450lb spring. Perfect for trail, tech and basically everything I've ridden with it so far.

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 7:39 Quote
larscha-nsfr wrote:
steviejks wrote:

I'm 85kg with gear and ride a Sentinel with a 2020 DHX2 with a 450lb spring. Perfect for trail, tech and basically everything I've ridden with it so far.

How does the DHX2 climb? We have some sustained fireroad climbs here, assume it has a lockout?

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 8:12 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:

3 Options for this.

I wasn't aware that the Elevensix has HBO..

Which shock did you send into Avy? Night and day difference?

Do you think its worth it to spend the extra $300 on a Storia EXT over a Bomber CR + Avy mods?

My shock is a Bomber CR. As far as the EXT being worth the extra 300$, I don't know since I've never ridden it. The Bomber w/ progressive bumper works well, but I have been able to reach down and feel the bottom of the travel a few times still. It's never too bad though. Just theorizing that the HBO on the EXT would erase that problem.

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 9:04 Quote
ehfour wrote:
larscha-nsfr wrote:
steviejks wrote:

How does the DHX2 climb? We have some sustained fireroad climbs here, assume it has a lockout?

I have the version with the 2 position compression lever, so climbing in easy. Only "locking" it out on fireroads. Fully open rest of the time.

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
larscha-nsfr wrote:
ehfour wrote:
larscha-nsfr wrote:

I have the version with the 2 position compression lever, so climbing in easy. Only "locking" it out on fireroads. Fully open rest of the time.

Did you shim it to 57.5 travel? or use a larger bottom out bumper? all I see in trunion mount is 205x60

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 9:52 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
Muchogusto wrote:
BrennanHuff wrote:

Is this too much to ask?

3 Options for this.

I love my Avy setup, but I can't help but think the hydraulic bottom out of the Push or the storia would do an even better job.[/Quote]

11-6 does not have HBO. Push use (among other things) different length/firmness foam bottom out bumpers depending on the frame.

I have an 11-6 on my Sentinel. I definitely feel the bottom outs when they happen, but they are less harsh than they were with the DPX2.

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 10:24 Quote
larscha-nsfr wrote:
ehfour wrote:
larscha-nsfr wrote:

Who makes the progressive bumper and where do you get one?

I've got a bomber as well on my sentinel.

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
ehfour wrote:
larscha-nsfr wrote:
ehfour wrote:

Did you shim it to 57.5 travel? or use a larger bottom out bumper? all I see in trunion mount is 205x60

Shimmed a 205x60Wink

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013340
Mobile Version of Website