Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 9:34 Quote
Oh ok, thats for that info

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 9:43 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
ehfour wrote:
NBD- replaced the patrol with a sentinel

Sentinel is so much better for my riding style- Smash and Plow

What are your initial impressions of the Hunt wheels?

Good so far, wheels spin forever, hub sounds good. 1/2 decent engagement

4 rides in, pressure is good and no dents

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
Habaden wrote:
marcomac wrote:
Habaden wrote:

What makes the sentinel feel better on the descents? I’m in between a sentinel and a patrol for a one bike quiver but can’t decide.

I'm also considering to go for one of them but I cannot decide.
My target for next year will be to drastically improve in jumping at the bike parks. But I would also like to go for enduro rides on the alps with my friends.
I lean towards the Patrol but not with a real motivation.

I'm of the same mindset of you, I want something plush enough to plow enduro trails but also be able to take it to the bike park.

I have a Sentinel, and waffled between it and the Patrol. Previous bike was a Nomad 3. I went with the Sentinel to give the trendy big wheels a try. The Sentinel is indeed a very plow-y bike. It is really, really stable on steeps and small-mid sized chunk. It loves to do long carvy turns. It is not great at tight, nimble turns, big hits, or (IMHO) jumping. It is a hefty bike, even with carbon enduro grade components everywhere, you're looking at 31+ lbs for a size medium with an air shock, and 32.5+ lbs with coil. Neither bike has a super progressive suspension, but it's my understanding that the Patrol is slightly more so, and has an extra 20mm of travel which goes a long way on landing jumps. There have definitely been days where I wished I got the Patrol for the nimbleness (due to shorter length and lighter weight) and added travel. But there have also been days where I get to the bottom of a run where I was just flying along at mach loony and felt totally at ease, and marveled at how the Sentinel just floats through the rough.

I don't have a bike park nearby. If I did, and was making the same choice as you guys, I'd lean towards a Patrol. In a perfect world, I'd say have an air shock for park flow/jump lines, coil for rough enduro trails.

I really, really wish there was an aftermarket linkage for the Sentinel that bumped up the progressivity and travel, like what Cascade Components makes for the Santa Cruz bikes.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 9:45 Quote
Habaden wrote:

What makes the sentinel feel better on the descents? I’m in between a sentinel and a patrol for a one bike quiver but can’t decide.

Better cause I can smash and plow... ahahah

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 9:45 Quote
andeh23 wrote:
Habaden wrote:
marcomac wrote:

I'm also considering to go for one of them but I cannot decide.
My target for next year will be to drastically improve in jumping at the bike parks. But I would also like to go for enduro rides on the alps with my friends.
I lean towards the Patrol but not with a real motivation.

I'm of the same mindset of you, I want something plush enough to plow enduro trails but also be able to take it to the bike park.

I have a Sentinel, and waffled between it and the Patrol. Previous bike was a Nomad 3. I went with the Sentinel to give the trendy big wheels a try. The Sentinel is indeed a very plow-y bike. It is really, really stable on steeps and small-mid sized chunk. It loves to do long carvy turns. It is not great at tight, nimble turns, big hits, or (IMHO) jumping. It is a hefty bike, even with carbon enduro grade components everywhere, you're looking at 31+ lbs for a size medium with an air shock, and 32.5+ lbs with coil. Neither bike has a super progressive suspension, but it's my understanding that the Patrol is slightly more so, and has an extra 20mm of travel which goes a long way on landing jumps. There have definitely been days where I wished I got the Patrol for the nimbleness (due to shorter length and lighter weight) and added travel. But there have also been days where I get to the bottom of a run where I was just flying along at mach loony and felt totally at ease, and marveled at how the Sentinel just floats through the rough.

I don't have a bike park nearby. If I did, and was making the same choice as you guys, I'd lean towards a Patrol. In a perfect world, I'd say have an air shock for park flow/jump lines, coil for rough enduro trails.

I really, really wish there was an aftermarket linkage for the Sentinel that bumped up the progressivity and travel, like what Cascade Components makes for the Santa Cruz bikes.

Agreed with Andeh on his assessment

I will add a few more as I've owned both bikes, is that the Sentinel is a better climber, weather it be on Fire Roads or technical you cant beat wheel size

The Patrol is far better at control in the air, both bikes are good at getting in the air the patrol is better for trail side jibbing

IMHO what is the difference maker is the wheels and suspension

LOVE the RC2 Lyrik that was on the Patrol...so plush with great ramp
NOBL wheels made the Patrol great in the chunk, didn't deflect offline as easily as the stock alumnimun wheels

Learning to love the FOX 36- its not a plush fork, which is fine, as its more about aggressive ride high in the travel fork. its taken some time to get used to

Hunt wheels, so far, I these have been great for me. Compliantly stiffer than the e13 wheels that came on the bike and robust/dent resistant

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 10:26 Quote
ehfour wrote:
andeh23 wrote:
Habaden wrote:

Agreed with Andeh on his assessement

Thanks for the comparisons guys!

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
Habaden wrote:
ehfour wrote:
andeh23 wrote:

Agreed with Andeh on his assessement

Thanks for the comparisons guys!

I think there would be a decent demand for an aftermarket rocker that would bump up progressive nature of the patrol and sentinel to at least 2017 patrol leverage and ideally Evil or YT numbers.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 3:27 Quote
ZoneCheck wrote:
i ride a 2018 SBG Transition Patro NX and my Deluxe blew out. I emailed Transition and they seem to be ignoring me. Has anyone else had experience with the the Deluxe that comes on the NX versions?

I had the deluxe on my 2018 Smuggler. Got it to some semblance of workability for my 108kgs by maxing the tokens out including a gnar dog token. But it was still a bit rubbish for me. Put a TriAir 3cr on it and haven't looked back Big Grin

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 4:27 Quote
Dear Sentinel owner,

I try to pick up some info about Sentinel. Has anyone problem with his Alu frame? I remember, some proplem with Patrol MK1 - a lot of broken chainstays.
Has Sentinel something simiral? Is it stiff and reliable frame?

Thanks

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 7:27 Quote
q232 wrote:
Dear Sentinel owner,

Has Sentinel something simiral? Is it stiff and reliable frame?

Thanks

For me, Yes!

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 8:57 Quote
@q232 Let's ask this another way for you.

Has anybody had an SBG frame failure at all or know of any?

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 11:07 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
@q232 Let's ask this another way for you.

Has anybody had an SBG frame failure at all or know of any?

My 2019 Patrol. Transition were brilliant swapped my front triangle straight away. Was just a small hairline mark. No fuss.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 0:26 Quote
ehfour wrote:
andeh23 wrote:
Habaden wrote:

Agreed with Andeh on his assessment

I will add a few more as I've owned both bikes, is that the Sentinel is a better climber, weather it be on Fire Roads or technical you cant beat wheel size

The Patrol is far better at control in the air, both bikes are good at getting in the air the patrol is better for trail side jibbing

IMHO what is the difference maker is the wheels and suspension

LOVE the RC2 Lyrik that was on the Patrol...so plush with great ramp
NOBL wheels made the Patrol great in the chunk, didn't deflect offline as easily as the stock alumnimun wheels

Learning to love the FOX 36- its not a plush fork, which is fine, as its more about aggressive ride high in the travel fork. its taken some time to get used to

Hunt wheels, so far, I these have been great for me. Compliantly stiffer than the e13 wheels that came on the bike and robust/dent resistant

Thank you very much guys!
If I would have had same price as in the US shop I would have gone immediately for the Patrol Carbon GX.
Because here in EU we have full price (and no shop close to me is making end of season sales) I think I will wait for next season and try both of them before taking my final decision.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 8:18 Quote
Anybody with a Smuggler installed the new Fox roller bearing kit? If so, any noticeable ride improvement?

https://bikerumor.com/2019/08/14/fox-smooths-rear-shock-motion-w-roller-bearing-mounts-fit4-damper-updated-everywhere/

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 13:42 Quote
jddeerman wrote:
Anybody with a Smuggler installed the new Fox roller bearing kit? If so, any noticeable ride improvement?

https://bikerumor.com/2019/08/14/fox-smooths-rear-shock-motion-w-roller-bearing-mounts-fit4-damper-updated-everywhere/

Yeah I chucked one in the top (high rotation) eyelet. Definitely reduces breakaway forces and gives a more supple feel and better traction. The DPS is still a pretty rubbish shock though.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011631
Mobile Version of Website