Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Nov 27, 2019 at 7:24 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
ehfour wrote:
Muchogusto wrote:
I have a Marzocchi Bomber CR in 205 x 65 trunnion (fits SBG patrol) that is new and am selling for $225. I've dropped the price after dealing with flaky people. I was going to send this into avalanche but ended up finding a screaming deal on a ext storia. If anyone is interested let me know!

Share the link to the screaming deal on the EXT?

It was a newly serviced, used, shock. No more deals.

Oh nice find!

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 11:16 Quote
How is a SBG Transition Patrol with a coil shock. I've read, it is a pretty linear design and am wondering if I will be able to run 30% without consistantly bottoming out or would I have to run a harder spring to negate the linear design.

Also, how would a non-custom tuned shock fair with the bike such as a Marzocchi Bomber CR.

My last question is, has the linkage changed since the initial release of the 2018 Patrol?

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 12:24 Quote
ZoneCheck wrote:
How is a SBG Transition Patrol with a coil shock. I've read, it is a pretty linear design and am wondering if I will be able to run 30% without consistantly bottoming out or would I have to run a harder spring to negate the linear design.

Also, how would a non-custom tuned shock fair with the bike such as a Marzocchi Bomber CR.

My last question is, has the linkage changed since the initial release of the 2018 Patrol?

1) you will need to overspring a bit, and your sag will be somewhat less. I haven't checked to see what my Sentinel is with the 11-6, but I'd guess it's like 20%-25%.
2) the biggest downside to using the Bomber on the Patrol / Sentinel is that it lacks HSC adjustment, which helps reduce the bottom-outs
3) no

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 2:46 Quote
Looking to put a coil on my17’ allot patrol. 230x65. Anybody riding a coil on this version of the patrol and how do you like it? It’s my backup bike now and want to make it more of a park bike.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 4:38 Quote
I'm actually looking to do the same on my 16 Carbon Patrol.
Found some good deal on Vivid R2C in 216x63 so I might give it a try.

I heard you have to use harder spring as the suspension is quite linear, I guess it applies to the 17 model as well.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 6:33 Quote
For park riding on such a linear suspension design, you want a more progressive shock, not a less progressive one. Air makes more sense.

Where the coil can shine with these bikes is all mtn / enduro riding + a custom tune.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 6:38 Quote
TheLittleFox wrote:
I heard you have to use harder spring as the suspension is quite linear, I guess it applies to the 17 model as well.

The 2017 Patrol is significantly more progressive than the 2016 and 2018+ models - see linkagedesign blog's graphs. I switched to a coil on my 2017 Patrol Carbon two years ago and really like it but my everyday trails are very rough and long and that's where it makes a difference for me. Probably wouldn't ride a coil on a trail bike if I lived in BC for example and just save the weight.

Mine is set up for about 32% seated sag and I don't feel it bottom out (was 35% on the original Super Deluxe with 3.5 tokens with is the maximum you could run). On a more linear frame you'd probably have to run less sag and/or try one of the new progressive springs. Best to try and borrow a shock first I think, even if you have to change hardware and buy a cheap steel spring for it.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 7:08 Quote
Lornholio wrote:
TheLittleFox wrote:

The 2017 Patrol is significantly more progressive than the 2016 and 2018+ models - see linkagedesign blog's graphs. I switched to a coil on my 2017 Patrol Carbon two years ago and really like it but my everyday trails are very rough and long and that's where it makes a difference for me. Probably wouldn't ride a coil on a trail bike if I lived in BC for example and just save the weight.

Mine is set up for about 32% seated sag and I don't feel it bottom out (was 35% on the original Super Deluxe with 3.5 tokens with is the maximum you could run). On a more linear frame you'd probably have to run less sag and/or try one of the new progressive springs. Best to try and borrow a shock first I think, even if you have to change hardware and buy a cheap steel spring for it.

I really wish transition built upon the 2017 linkage and made it even more progressive, rather than reverting back to the 2015/16 design.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 1:57 Quote
It needs to move forward

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 3:46 Quote
TheLittleFox wrote:
I'm actually looking to do the same on my 16 Carbon Patrol.
Found some good deal on Vivid R2C in 216x63 so I might give it a try.

seen these ? https://www.pinkbike.com/news/-cane-creek-announces-progressive-springs-for-coil-shocks.html

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 4:26 Quote
andeh23 wrote:
ZoneCheck wrote:

1) you will need to overspring a bit, and your sag will be somewhat less. I haven't checked to see what my Sentinel is with the 11-6, but I'd guess it's like 20%-25%.
2) the biggest downside to using the Bomber on the Patrol / Sentinel is that it lacks HSC adjustment, which helps reduce the bottom-outs
3) no

Or just get a progressive spring. Absolutely does the job.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 5:59 Quote
Lornholio wrote:
TheLittleFox wrote:

What coil shock r you using?

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 8:31 Quote
haroman666 wrote:
So what are people getting out of their frame bearings these days?
I found some pages of the thread from back in 2016 talking about only getting 4 - 12 months out of a set.
Now that there's a bit more time and mileage on the latest range I wondered if this was still the case.

Same issue for me, main pivot bearing lasted 4 months in the Scottish "summer". I've replaced them with SKF MTRX bearings, no grease and supposedly immune to water. Also added a mudhugger front guard to the rear, protects the shock and bearing pretty well.

[IMG]18059074[/IMG]

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 8:44 Quote
jimbojrt wrote:
haroman666 wrote:
So what are people getting out of their frame bearings these days?
I found some pages of the thread from back in 2016 talking about only getting 4 - 12 months out of a set.
Now that there's a bit more time and mileage on the latest range I wondered if this was still the case.

Same issue for me, main pivot bearing lasted 4 months in the Scottish "summer". I've replaced them with SKF MTRX bearings, no grease and supposedly immune to water. Also added a mudhugger front guard to the rear, protects the shock and bearing pretty well.

[IMG]18059074[/IMG]

SKF work well?

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 8:48 Quote
TyMak wrote:

SKF work well?

Yeah, actually comparable cost to Enduro bearings and holding up well, although they've only been in for a couple of months so not a real test. If they're still smooth after the Scottish winter then I'm on to a winner!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007348
Mobile Version of Website