Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 18:34 Quote
What size is the frame? I'm running a Mattoc (2014 or 2015) with IRT and axle upgrades on a XL Patrol 2nd gen (2017) and was thinking of putting a Mezzer as well. It looks a little odd on your frame, IMO.

Thing is I would need to change the whole front wheel as well and not sure if it's worth it, since I'm a big guy (195cm) and the current frame is small for me. I'm leaning towards a completely new 29er with longer reach instead - something like the new Norco Sight. Would love to get a XXL Sentinel 2020, but it's too expensive for me. Any rumors about an ALU version?

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 19:39 Quote
InfraRed wrote:
... was thinking of putting a Mezzer as well. It looks a little odd on your frame, IMO.
?

Isn't that the thing with the backwards arch? Either embrace the look or go with a 38? Smile Course then you have to embrace the new Fox arch 'bulge", so your screwed either way...

Until RS announces the new NoTotem

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 20:34 Quote
the arch bulge is so it can clear fatter head tubes

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 23:59 Quote
InfraRed wrote:
What size is the frame? I'm running a Mattoc (2014 or 2015) with IRT and axle upgrades on a XL Patrol 2nd gen (2017) and was thinking of putting a Mezzer as well. It looks a little odd on your frame, IMO.

Thing is I would need to change the whole front wheel as well and not sure if it's worth it, since I'm a big guy (195cm) and the current frame is small for me. I'm leaning towards a completely new 29er with longer reach instead - something like the new Norco Sight. Would love to get a XXL Sentinel 2020, but it's too expensive for me. Any rumors about an ALU version?

medium mk1 - fork set to 170mm. I just used a cheap boost adaptor kit.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 2:07 Quote
mtb-scotland wrote:
medium mk1 - fork set to 170mm. I just used a cheap boost adaptor kit.

Thanks! Unfortunately I have a center-lock hubs and I can't use an adaptor. But that's also my plan - to set it up at 170mm, althought it seems wiser to just get on the big-wheel wagon.

stiingya wrote:
InfraRed wrote:
... was thinking of putting a Mezzer as well. It looks a little odd on your frame, IMO.
?

Isn't that the thing with the backwards arch? Either embrace the look or go with a 38? Smile Course then you have to embrace the new Fox arch 'bulge", so your screwed either way...

Until RS announces the new NoTotem

Maybe it's the frame size, maybe it's the arch, but it kind of looks like a dirtjumper to me from that angle on the photo.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 3:51 Quote
InfraRed wrote:

Thanks! Unfortunately I have a center-lock hubs and I can't use an adaptor. But that's also my plan - to set it up at 170mm, althought it seems wiser to just get on the big-wheel wagon.

you get centre lock adaptor kits.

InfraRed wrote:

Maybe it's the frame size, maybe it's the arch, but it kind of looks like a dirtjumper to me from that angle on the photo.

saddle is down

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 5:14 Quote
mtb-scotland wrote:
Got myself a new fork - manitou Mezzer pro (37mm offset) set to 170mm on my mk1 patrol.

Only been able to use it in the local park given the lockdown conditions here but it is a big improvement on he mattoc especially in the air spring. 60/80psi in the main/IRT. 2 clicks of HSC and and 5 clicks of LSC.

photo
That thing must rally hard......
Enjoy ragging the snot out of it

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
Hey guys,

So this might have already been discussed here and i'm just stupid for not seeing it, but I am thinking of gettting a 2018 - 2020 patrol frame and swapping my parts over to it. I have a 160mm yari and would raise the trave to match the 170mm that this frame needs.

My question is: will running a standard offset fork mess with the geometry because of the fork height and the geometry?
And if so, is it safe to run a 180mm fork (to counter the axel to crown length of the shorter offset fork) with the frame as i don't really want to buy a new fork. To do this I would adjust the travel of my Yari from 160 to 180.

I might not be correct with assuming the offset changes the height of the fork so please educate me.

Thanks Smile

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 8:41 Quote
mtb-scotland wrote:
InfraRed wrote:

you get centre lock adaptor kits.

Got it. Will have to change the rotor only, thanks!
Changing to 170mm Mezzer would slacken the head angle and lift the BB up a little and I'm quite ok with both Smile

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
missionS wrote:
mtb-scotland wrote:
Got myself a new fork - manitou Mezzer pro (37mm offset) set to 170mm on my mk1 patrol.

Only been able to use it in the local park given the lockdown conditions here but it is a big improvement on he mattoc especially in the air spring. 60/80psi in the main/IRT. 2 clicks of HSC and and 5 clicks of LSC.

photo
That thing must rally hard......
Enjoy ragging the snot out of it

once we are out of lockdown I'll find out how the forks perform.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 23:07 Quote
Hey everyone, just a question for all the 2018-current Patrol owners: Do you guys feel the patrol is poppy and engaging/fun to ride? I'm on a hunt for the most flicky big bike out there and am seeing mixed reviews- some are saying it's playful while others say it just monster trucks. What's your opinion?

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 1:15 Quote
Eddkilla wrote:
Hey everyone, just a question for all the 2018-current Patrol owners: Do you guys feel the patrol is poppy and engaging/fun to ride? I'm on a hunt for the most flicky big bike out there and am seeing mixed reviews- some are saying it's playful while others say it just monster trucks. What's your opinion?

I came off a rocky mountain altitude (very fun poppy flickable bike) and find the transition is still very fun and lively despite being bigger, longer and heavier. the patrol is a very fun bike and likes to be flicked around

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 3:43 Quote
Eddkilla wrote:

I'd say it does both equally well.
You can plow through rough stuff at very good pace and send big features.
You can also thread it through tight turns and trees.

I would probably say if you want more playful-ness then go for the smuggler or scout but if you want the travel then the Patrol will do what you want.

Having said all that however I've never owned another similar style bike, and I'm very much not a fussy rider; if it has 2 wheels and handlebar then I'm gonna send it regardless.

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 5:51 Quote
Eddkilla wrote:

My $.02...

I've got two transitions; 2017 alloy scout (-1deg headset and 150mm fork) & 2019 alloy Patrol GX. Both weigh 34-35lbs.

I'm sure a lighter built scout without the -1deg headset and 150mm fork would be more responsive; but I find the patrol every bit as playful and poppy as the scout, only with much more stability and composure when things get rowdy. Hands down, I prefer the patrol for climbing. The Patrol's suspension platform feels noticeably more supportive/efficient and the longer front center w/ steeper seat tube helps a lot on technical climbs. I've done everything from 20-30 mile XC rides to bike park laps on the patrol and it's mind boggling to me how versatile this bike is.

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 6:01 Quote
Davebob wrote:
Hey guys,

I might not be correct with assuming the offset changes the height of the fork so please educate me.

Thanks Smile

Offset does not affect the height of the fork. It does change the handling characteristics.
In this review of the Sentinel, Kazimer wrote about how the different offsets affect the handling of the sentinel.
I figure effects would be similar with the Patrol.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/transition-sentinel-review-2017.html

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019517
Mobile Version of Website