Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 1:29 Quote
hartmd25 wrote:
For spur riders. I’m looking at getting into a spur but a little skeptical. I’m 200 lbs kitted up and ride very rocky technical trails in New England. I do lots of steep rollers with pretty good g outs. Wondering if I may be too big for the bike? Love to hear any input from similar spur riders. For reference my other bikes are a ripmo and 17’ ally transition patrol.

question is why do you want a spur if you ride "techy" trails?

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 4:28 Quote
Variety is the spice of life and the spur will breathe new life into old trails and make some of the more mundane trails I normally avoid more appealing.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 5:29 Quote
photo
frame - Patrol carbon 2020 & fox X2
fork - Fox 36
wheels - dt swiss ex1501
brakes - shimano saint
seatpost & saddle - fox transfer & WTB silverado
crank - E13 TRSr 34T
stem & handle bars - nukeprof horizon

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 5:41 Quote
hartmd25 wrote:
Variety is the spice of life and the spur will breathe new life into old trails and make some of the more mundane trails I normally avoid more appealing.

that's a good view, why not!

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 8:04 Quote
wkosmider wrote:
photo
frame - Patrol carbon 2020 & fox X2
fork - Fox 36
wheels - dt swiss ex1501
brakes - shimano saint
seatpost & saddle - fox transfer & WTB silverado
crank - E13 TRSr 34T
stem & handle bars - nukeprof horizon

I like it ! Nice work on the red accents !

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 14:47 Quote
So if anyone is unloading a medium spur frame. I’m your buyer.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 11:36 Quote
I'm on a 2016 Patrol. First full suspension bike and loving every minute of it. Had it for 2 years now and have upgraded brakes and drivetrain to modern components.

Debating between the newest Patrol and the newest Scout as a replacement.

Anyone have feedback on how these two would compare to my current V1 Patrol?

I'm a pretty aggressive rider - no expert, but I used to be a bmx/dirt jumper so my 2 years of mtb experience isn't quite reflective of my skills.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 22:41 Quote
dfox84 wrote:
I'm on a 2016 Patrol. First full suspension bike and loving every minute of it. Had it for 2 years now and have upgraded brakes and drivetrain to modern components.

I'm a pretty aggressive rider - no expert, but I used to be a bmx/dirt jumper so my 2 years of mtb experience isn't quite reflective of my skills.

I get the less is more approach, for some trails, it just can be less if not enough on big gnarrly stuff. Depends on where you ride and whether you pick your way through stuff or smash through.... also don’t forget the sentinel. Another great bike

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 5:04 Quote
dfox84 wrote:

Might not be for you, but once you try 29, you will not want to go back to 27.5 and maybe think “why didn’t I do this quicker!?”.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 6:32 Quote
dfox84 wrote:

I switched from a patrol to a scout. Live in Bellingham so a lot of stuff I ride daily is flowy with jumps. Also ride lots of steep with it and have no issues. I like it better than my previous patrols. The geo is a bit better and just feels more comfortable. If you up the travel your only talking 10 mm difference between the patrol and the scout, seems negligible to me especially with how much you can tune suspension now. Get a scout or a sentinel, the new frames are sick.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 10:34 Quote
Bm1117 wrote:
I switched from a patrol to a scout. Live in Bellingham so a lot of stuff I ride daily is flowy with jumps. Also ride lots of steep with it and have no issues. I like it better than my previous patrols. The geo is a bit better and just feels more comfortable. If you up the travel your only talking 10 mm difference between the patrol and the scout, seems negligible to me especially with how much you can tune suspension now. Get a scout or a sentinel, the new frames are sick.

Thanks, this input really hits home. I live down by Everett, so I head up to Bham a bit, and also down to the bigger stuff on I90 a lot. So mostly flowy with jumps, but some steeper tech stuff. Mowhawk/Uline/evo/SST with the rock drop/etc. I have historically done some lift-serv stuff at Stevens, like one or two days a year, but obviously nothing this year - hoping the snoqualmie park opens this summer.

I think the Scout is the direction I'm going to go. I was thinking I'd give it a go with the 140/150 stock combo, but will consider upping the travel if I find it lacking. My V1 patrol is great, but just looking to switch things up.

I debated a Sentinel as some have mentioned (almost bought one when Transition did their sale a year ago), but I'm a small build guy on a medium frame (135lbs, 5'7") and 29ers just feel a bit overwhelming for me. Maybe I could size down to a small 29er?

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 10:38 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
I get the less is more approach, for some trails, it just can be less if not enough on big gnarrly stuff. Depends on where you ride and whether you pick your way through stuff or smash through.... also don’t forget the sentinel. Another great bike
When things get really gnarly, I tend to pick my way through rather than smash... Although I did a few enduro races at the end of 2019 and did enjoy just smashing through some pretty big stuff. But I don't often do that - it was only when the clock was spinning and I had that extra competition adrenaline flowing.

I guess that's one really good point I need to think through...

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
Yes, I'm still very curious about a super scout build. 150 coil with a 160 or 170 zeb. I've also been curious if the cascade link for the sentinel would work on the scout (long shot). I've had my eye on both bikes for a while now and can't decide which one to get, if they ever come back in stock...

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
dfox84 wrote:
Bm1117 wrote:

Thanks, this input really hits home. I live down by Everett, so I head up to Bham a bit, and also down to the bigger stuff on I90 a lot. So mostly flowy with jumps, but some steeper tech stuff. Mowhawk/Uline/evo/SST with the rock drop/etc. I have historically done some lift-serv stuff at Stevens, like one or two days a year, but obviously nothing this year - hoping the snoqualmie park opens this summer.

I think the Scout is the direction I'm going to go. I was thinking I'd give it a go with the 140/150 stock combo, but will consider upping the travel if I find it lacking. My V1 patrol is great, but just looking to switch things up.

I debated a Sentinel as some have mentioned (almost bought one when Transition did their sale a year ago), but I'm a small build guy on a medium frame (135lbs, 5'7") and 29ers just feel a bit overwhelming for me. Maybe I could size down to a small 29er?

I figured you would be a tiger mountain rider since you are Seattle area. I am a similar height 5’8 and I went with a 27.5 bike for that reason. I have short legs so a 29er just feels a bit big to me. Bikes now keep you pretty centered so I know it’s not a huge deal but it sure feels like I am a long way from the dirt on the wagon wheels if I take a digger!

I rode a few months on the 150/140 setup then switched to a 160 fork and a coil shock. I still run air occasionally but I prefer coil shocks. Still is poppy and I can hammer it down predator and mayday and a lot of the steeper trails out on tiger. Then go to Duthie and jump with it. Bike is pretty versatile

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 9:49 Quote
So from what I can gather, newer frames with SBG just have a slightly longer reach, slacker headtube angle, steeper seattube angle, shorter stem and shorter fork offset . . . Right? So if I just bought an Alloy '17 Patrol which is the year right before they introduced SBG in '18, and I want to immulate some of the updates I can: get the -1° crownrace from problem solvers which slacks the headtube without changing the seat tube angle. Get offset bushings for the shock which has the same effect, slacking the head tube with out steeping the seat tube. Get a 31mm or 32mm stem and new lowers from Öhlins shortening my fork offset from 47mm to 39mm. There's really no way to steepin the seat tube angle, All i can do is use the methods mentioned above when slackening the head tube so that I don't slack the seat tube along with it. I guess I can slam the saddle all the way forward on the rails. But that will be I'm direct contrast to another aspect of SBG which is lengthening the reach. Hands are tied there. My question for this blog is this: If I get the new lowers from Öhlins through a warranty claim, would it actually be worth it for me to spend the money required to replicate SBG on my '17 frame, or should I just run it as is?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020963
Mobile Version of Website