Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 17:33 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
gramboh wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:

I did the same on a Capra shock. Personally I really don’t get companies restricting the shock stroke with a plastic spacer like this, why not just add volume reducers and let it ramp up towards the end of the stroke?

They likely do it so that consumers/mechanics don't accidentally change stroke length when playing with volume spacers. Depending on the frame, maybe there isn't clearance for the extra wheel travel from increasing shock stroke length. The manufacturer's design around specific wheel travel.
It’s not something a mechanic could accidentally do, the spacer is located on the shaft of the damper (you can see it in one of my photos). Yeah, I get that some bikes would have clashing issues with longer travel shocks, but I was referring to a frame like the Scout where it can take the 65mm shock and instead of installing that and providing a load of volume reducers, they reduce travel to 60 which will just cause bottoming out at an earlier part of the stroke. Still seems a sub-optimal choice for the consumer IMO

I think I was agreeing with you re: why Fox/RS don't just cram volume reducers instead of the travel limiter. For bikes like the Scout where it's 150mm instead of 160mm with 60mm vs 65mm stroke shock, I assume the frame designers are going for a specific feel/kinematic. I haven't looked at graphs to know if the 150mm to 160mm is truly just more end stroke or whether it impacts the entire curve (I suspect the later). They also want to better segment their bikes for more sales.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 17:47 Quote
I think probably specifc to the scout, during the redesign they were working on the new patrol which is now very firmly in a different category than the scout, very slack, ALU only mullet. So now they can kind of offer the old patrol as well.

Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 20:34 Quote
I'm thinking of building up a 2019 sentinel with a coil, cascade link and a 170mm fork to use as a brawler / park bike.

Agonizing over doing this fun experiment, and keeping my V1 Ripmo for daily driving, or just fully commiting to a v2 Sentinel.

Two bikes or one bike to rule them all

Has anyone built up a super sentinel?

Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 20:58 Quote
Sounds like a spire haha

Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 22:18 Quote
chapwes wrote:
I'm thinking of building up a 2019 sentinel with a coil, cascade link and a 170mm fork to use as a brawler / park bike.

Agonizing over doing this fun experiment, and keeping my V1 Ripmo for daily driving, or just fully commiting to a v2 Sentinel.

2 bikes, then you won’t have to change setups. And make the ripmo fast

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 1:30 Quote
anothermtnbiker wrote:
chapwes wrote:

This if you can afford it... for Squamish/sea to sky it would be cool to have a Ripmo with faster rolling EXO tires, maybe lighter wheelset for 20+ km rides, Sproatt alpine etc. then have a Sentinel or Spire with beefy build for park and shorter pedal laps on double blacks.

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 6:36 Quote
gramboh wrote:
anothermtnbiker wrote:
chapwes wrote:

This if you can afford it... for Squamish/sea to sky it would be cool to have a Ripmo with faster rolling EXO tires, maybe lighter wheelset for 20+ km rides, Sproatt alpine etc. then have a Sentinel or Spire with beefy build for park and shorter pedal laps on double blacks.

The ripmo is already built for speed, so this logic makes sense. Thank you for keeping me on the n+1 path

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 14:22 Quote
In need of replacement chain stay/rear triangle for my LARGE 2017 TRANSITION PATROL!!!

Hey everyone, I realize this may be a long shot but I figured it's worth asking anyway. Earlier this year, I bought a 2017 Transition Patrol to get into trail riding. I got two months on it before noticing a crack in the chain stay side of the rear triangle a few days back. I talked to transition about getting it replaced, but unfortunately they don't have any chain stays for that generation of Patrol. This brings me to here, I am calling on all transition patrol owners (2014-2017) who may have an old busted frame sitting around with a chain stay that's in tact or even if there is someone with an old transition patrol frame (anything between 2014 and 2017 will work as they all have the same geometry) I'm happy to pay for the part and the shipping, I just don't want to have to say goodbye to my season and a bike I just purchased. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance Smile

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 21:43 Quote
steezystu98 wrote:
In need of replacement chain stay/rear triangle for my LARGE 2017 TRANSITION PATROL!!!

Hey everyone, I realize this may be a long shot but I figured it's worth asking anyway. Earlier this year, I bought a 2017 Transition Patrol to get into trail riding. I got two months on it before noticing a crack in the chain stay side of the rear triangle a few days back. I talked to transition about getting it replaced, but unfortunately they don't have any chain stays for that generation of Patrol. This brings me to here, I am calling on all transition patrol owners (2014-2017) who may have an old busted frame sitting around with a chain stay that's in tact or even if there is someone with an old transition patrol frame (anything between 2014 and 2017 will work as they all have the same geometry) I'm happy to pay for the part and the shipping, I just don't want to have to say goodbye to my season and a bike I just purchased. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance Smile

Hi, you didn’t say if it’s aluminium or carbon? I’ve ridden for a year and a half with a cracked 2017 carbon chain stay and it’s been fine. Might be worth showing a photo of the crack and getting a group opinion from the forum if it looks ok or too risky. You have to remember that most planes we fly in have dozens of cracks. They are monitored and parts replaced only when they get bad.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
steezystu98 wrote:

Thanks in advance Smile

Hi, you didn’t say if it’s aluminium or carbon? I’ve ridden for a year and a half with a cracked 2017 carbon chain stay and it’s been fine. Might be worth showing a photo of the crack and getting a group opinion from the forum if it looks ok or too risky. You have to remember that most planes we fly in have dozens of cracks. They are monitored and parts replaced only when they get bad.

this is a good point, though chainstays scare me in that respect.

That said, with the current environment, i'd look at getting it repaired. I have a buddy who had 3 chainstays for his slash, and he'd just rotate them out as he broke them at the repair. that was due to a known issue with slash chainstays specifically being poorly designed, however, I wouldn't expect you to have to do the same.

It's not the cheapest thing to fix (you need to get it welded by somebody who knows how to weld thin wall tubing, and knows how to properly heat treat it back to full strength, or you'll make the problem worse) but with not being able to buy bikes or get a new chainstay from Transition, it's worth taking a look at.

edit: if it's carbon, repairs are actually much easier, so same recommendation.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 8:43 Quote
groghunter wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
steezystu98 wrote:

Thanks in advance Smile

That said, with the current environment, i'd look at getting it repaired. I have a buddy who had 3 chainstays for his slash, and he'd just rotate them out as he broke them at the repair. that was due to a known issue with slash chainstays specifically being poorly designed, however, I wouldn't expect you to have to do the same.

It's not the cheapest thing to fix (you need to get it welded by somebody who knows how to weld thin wall tubing, and knows how to properly heat treat it back to full strength, or you'll make the problem worse) but with not being able to buy bikes or get a new chainstay from Transition, it's worth taking a look at.

Every one I know had the same problem with the Trek scratch chain stay. But I've had loads of cracks on carbon bikes and never actually broken a frame yet. Watch and monitor

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 10:39 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
groghunter wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:

Every one I know had the same problem with the Trek scratch chain stay. But I've had loads of cracks on carbon bikes and never actually broken a frame yet. Watch and monitor

Actually, i think you are right, it was a scratch, not a slash.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 23:54 Quote
Pretty much every Scratch had chainstays that would crack at the drive side front weld, happened to my 2011.

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 1:20 Quote
I've just bought a 2018 alloy V1 Sentinel frame (Size L) from the classifieds, i'm looking at getting the Cascade link and an EXT Storia for the rear to compliment the Smashpot coverted 160mm Zeb Ultimate i've got coming. Excited to get this built up after loaning a Smuggler from my mate for a few weeks and loving it.
I just need to know if the EXT is going to work with the cascade link/frame - i saw that the DVO coil has clearance issues. Will be stock size 205 x 57.5. Anyone on here have an EXT with the link?

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 2:43 Quote
Has anyone done a mullet on the new scout?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007540
Mobile Version of Website